DUDE KILL YOURSELF LMAO!

>DUDE KILL YOURSELF LMAO!

How did this retarded meme ever take off?

Well aparently writing like a retard to show how smart you are took on you, so why not?

If you don't kill yourself, I will kill you, your family, your friends, etc.

If you kill yourself, your family will life, your friends will live.

An hero immediately

Likely, it grew out of the Japanese custom of "taking heads" for merit and reward. Unlike Europe there was never a custom of ransoming warriors - one could argue that ransoming is actually more "unjust", in a sense, since the lord is taking tax revenues from the peasantry to save his own miserable skin, but that's another discussion entirely. Regardless of the reasons why, Japanese warriors customarily lopped the heads off of their foes that were taken prisoner as proof they had subdued a notable opponent. These heads were then presented to the general at the end of the battle who would then provide cash rewards proportional to the number/quality of heads taken.

Since a captured samurai would have his head lopped off anyway, any "surrender" would inevitably result in your death, so it's likely the custom grew out of a desire to control the circumstances of your passing. If surrendering the castle means getting your head chopped off anyway, you might as well do it with a bit of ceremony and dignity - much like a funeral.

Also, ritual suicide is very drastic, but it does completely annihilate a previous regime or set of individuals and completely removes any personal stakes in a given conflict. By the same token it also "cleans the slate" - allowing heirs or a different generation to take power. It's sort of a stretch but you could compare this to say, Ottoman fratricide, where the reigning prince would kill all his brothers. Killing someone is a very effective means of reducing their influence, and killing yourself is a very powerful symbolic statement of being willing to cease hostilities.

Note the key thing about seppuku is not so much the belly slitting - a "proper" seppuku has a second at the ready to take the master's head off once the belly is slit. The head-cutting is the important bit here - this would then be presented to the other side (in the same way that warriors would have presented heads to the general for cash rewards at the end of a battle).

Beheadings aside, killing yourself is a way to show sincerity and clean intentions in East Asian cultures. "I'm not advocating this for my own benefit or refusing to do that to save my hide, see how I selflessly throw my life away! I have always acted honorably and in good faith so please spare my family."
If you stay focused on the practice of taking heads you won't understand how ritual suicide was used way before and after the Sengoku period, or in China and Korea.

suicidal NEETs on the internet project a lot

Wanna see what 4channers look like irl?

Go on instagram and look at everyone who uses the Veeky Forums tag, it's overwhelmingly teenagers, nazis, video gamers (nothing wrong with this one actually) and suicidal / depressed people. It's REALLY bad, but it could be explained that given the younger demographic of Veeky Forums, teenagers are more likely to depressed anyway, so it might be a representation of young people in general, and not because of Veeky Forums or anything

Sure, that's definitely a major component - but any method of suicide is usable in that case if the object is sincerity. OP seemed to be asking about seppuku in particular, and I would say the precise form of the disembowelment + beheading ritual precisely grew out of those Japanese warfare customs (as opposed to suicide by hanging or slitting wrists).

>it's overwhelmingly teenagers

Well yes, what did you expect from people who post with the fucking Veeky Forums tag to Instagram?

What did you expect from people who use Instagram in the first place?

The mentally healthy people on Veeky Forums are not using Instagram. They're either shitposting or accomplishing things.

being captured and executed like a criminal was humiliating. It was better tot take your own life in a way that proves your bravery, like seppuku which was extremely painful

By the edo period samurai would be sentenced to seppuku rather than execution so they could maintain their honor.

>DUDE KILL YOURSELF LMAO!

How did this retarded meme ever take off?

>The mentally healthy people on Veeky Forums
I want these fags to leave.

>being captured and executed like a criminal was humiliating. It was better tot take your own life in a way that proves your bravery, like seppuku which was extremely painful
They were big samurai.

> It's sort of a stretch but you could compare this to say, Ottoman fratricide, where the reigning prince would kill all his brothers.
You're aware that brothers just forced their brothers to commit seppuku right?

>The mentally healthy people on Veeky Forums are not using Instagram. They're either shitposting or accomplishing things
>mentally healthy
>Veeky Forums
>the ones shitposting

Meine freundin....Ich haben Nachrichten für sie

Wasn't the first seppuku a guy who was cornered by a large force of enemies and basically his way of unplugging the nintendo and screaming "YOU DIDN'T WIN!!"

I don't drink, I run a 5k multiple times a week, I'm in a long term committed relationship, and I have an advanced degree from a reputable university.

but god damn nothing makes me happier than intentionally triggering people on Veeky Forums, whether or not i agree with them. it probably has to do with the fact that i started posting here when i was a fucking teenager, but i guess it didn't fuck me up too bad... r-right?

>I don't drink
same
> I run a 5k multiple times a week
I used to do about 10 miles of jogging per week before I hurt my back
>long term committed relationship
does 7 months count as long term?
>advanced degree
you could just say masters or doctorate my famalam

>Likely, it grew out of the Japanese custom of "taking heads" for merit and reward.
Likely it grew out of fucking Sinitic notions of honor. The Chinese also had practices of killing themselves to rid themselves of dishonor.

Hell, the NAME of the practice is Chinese. Seppuku is what you call a specific method. However, the whole notion of honorable suicide is called Gyokusai in Japan. It means "Shattered Jewel." Its from the Chinese saying that goes something like this: "A gentleman must die as if he was a shattered jewel, than shame himself and live on as if he was a whole tile."

apparently the samurai had bodies like ex high school football player dads

actually its neither, its a law degree

>tfw just a glorified tradesman but i had to pay out the ass for it.

>Wanna see what 4channers look like irl?
>Go on instagram and look at everyone who uses the Veeky Forums tag,

All that is going to show you are the select pathetic retards who post on instagram with the Veeky Forums tag. It's far from a representative sample, you're basically taking the people willing to proudly display they visit this shithole.