Is the fall of the Roman Empire the saddest historical event?

Is the fall of the Roman Empire the saddest historical event?

>pic unrelated

Shut up you Gyro. Rome died almost a thousand years before 1453.

The fall of the Greek Principality of Constantinople is my favorite historical event.

>Oh no, the Turks have besieged and conquered this thread!

>This thread is now Ottoman territory

t*rks and c*tholiks make natural allies as always :)

The Roman Empire didn't fall till 1923 when it became a republic.

No, the fall of the Roman Republic was.

Second place goes to the Christianization of the empire.

>Neo-pagans

>tfw translatio imperii kept rome alive till 1806
>tfw your own countryman killed it cuz "muh dirty french might get the roman empire"
feel guilty every day tbqh

That has to be the best wojak i've seen so far.

>
>
>

>Christianity

the religion of old grandpas

>Using neopagans as an insult
That only works with Nords like Varg.

?

I'm fucking japanese dude

I'm not a neo-pagan.

I'm an atheist Greco-Romanboo.

Yeah, fall of the republic was worse. The empire ending was like a super old, blind, arthritic dog that just wouldn't die.

>implying the fall of the Republic was anything and the Empire wasn't in hyper prosperity for about ~180 years after

B-b-but muh liberty!

Liberty was already fucking dead by the late Republic. Republicanism was dead! People sold their votes openly in the fora to the highest bidder!

Yeah like the first 100 years of the empire were great but after that it was just indefensible garbage.

Nah, the sack of libraries and places that held records like Alexandria and Bagdad.
More than a thousand years of human history carefully recorded being lost on a whim, now that is truly tragic.

>trajan
>hadrian
>garbage
one is not like the otheres

I'd include Trajan in that 100 years.

Hadrian is overrated though.

still not within the first 100 years tho
it had p based emperors and some shitty ones
don't see how it wasn't overall better than the republic

It had a lot of shitty ones. Given that the empire existed for like 1500 years the good emperors are a drop in the bucket compared to the shitty or unremarkable ones.

>don't see how it wasn't overall better than the republic
Because patrician power.

No its started our golden age.

It's like I'm really loving in the late Roman Republic

*living

The birth of Muhammed in 570 is the saddest historical event

Imagine how much more the world would have flourished if that pedophilic death cult never spawned out of the desert

How about all these major religions? Seems to me like they contribute more bad than good into this world.

Manicheaism was based as fuck, spread peacefully over the whole silk road and tended to local cultural sensibilities.
It getting grinded to shit between christians and mohammedans is a sad thing.

Mongolboo here, the saddest event was the Mongol conquest of Khwarezm/Persia/Middle East. The fall of Constantinople is akin to finally taking down a corpse in a gibbet after there was nothing left but crumbled bones.

it was kind of schizzo tho, it basicaly taught people they live in the matrix

>fall of the Roman Empire
Don't you mean liberation from filthy christian greek hands while being returned to the rightful romans of the Sultanate?

No, the saddest part is that it was too late by then to prevent it.

In that case then you should've mentioned the fourth crusade when the crusaders burned down the imperial library of Constantinople.

High-five my man.

I think it is time to drop this name meme pet turk, it's not as effective anymore.

I would like to make the argument that the Roman Empire actually fell on that fateful day in 1204, since that's when the Byzantine Empire as a direct continuation from Rome - through its culture, and institutions - ceased to exist.

After the "restoration" of the Byzantine Empire after 1261 (the Palaiologan period), the Empire was markedly different from before: it was no longer a cosmopolitan, trade-oriented polity; the complex bureaucratic institutions inherited from the Romans and until then preserved had broken down, to be replaced by Western feudalism, and since this is essentially what made the Byzantine Empire "Roman", I'd say it ceased to be a direct continuation of Rome once this was taken away.

no

Its exactly the opposite my friend the Palaeologan period was more trade oriented than before the Latin Empire. The main income of the pre-Palaiologan Byzantine state was agricultural. Also Constantinople had many Italian merchants and as a result Catholics, hence Genoa sent a contingent to save the city.

It was a shadow of its former self, but the Palaeologan emperors did the best they could to survive.

1. Burning of the Library of Alexandria
2. The Destruction of Tenochtitlan
3. The destruction of the second temple in Siege of Jerusalem

>Byzantine empire outlasted all of the German Empires combined.

LMAO

How? German Empire (EU) still exists

The EU is not an empire, but a very loose federation, if France leaves the union the EU is basically over, and then maybe you can call it a German (economic) empire.

>The EU is not an empire, but a very loose federation

So its just as much an empire as the HRE?

>The EU is not an empire, but a very loose federation
Same was true for Roman Empire

Say what you want but the last true emp of Rome went out a man

>Throws aside his crown and is past seen jumping into a hoard of turks with his sword in hand.

Even as a Catholic I gotta respect him for goiNG out like a man.

>Early Christianity converts people from being savages to having morals like killing is wrong and helping the poor
>Christianity is wrong

No thats the best event

why didn't Ottomans convert to christianity like in my autism simulator?

Nah, your birth is still way up there.

Yeah losing out on the actual works of aristotle was kinda bad. We might have had the enlightenment and then scientific revolution centuries earlier. We could be screwing sexy Vulcan babes in the throws of Pon'far as we speak.

>the Roman Empire actually fell on that fateful day in 1071
ftfy

>playing as the ottomans in eu4
this triggers me

Is it an event if it took more then 1000 years?

why whould they do that ?

Then you shouldn't see my playthroughs.

>tips fedora

The fall of rome wasn't an 'event', it was a period

>E
>U

are these images real? the dialogue is priceless

oh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii........

yep Memri TV is a project by a DC think tank (I think?) to translate Arab political talks shows. They got some real gems

a freakin Albanian of all things