Newfag to history here...

newfag to history here, I just learned that in the 1600s in england the king was executed and england was briefly a republic. how similar was this to the french revolution of the next century?

Other urls found in this thread:

medievaltimes.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Not it went poorly

not similar at all really, the french revolution was an intellectually based revolt which gathered support primarily in paris to depose the king and put wealthy petty nobles and some rich non-nobility in power, for the purpose of an enlightenment philosophy which was in its infancy at the time of the english revolution.

in england, meanwhile, the issue was more to do with the religious disputes going on, as well as the fact that one particular religious official who had the kings ear managed to seize power after charles' death and proclaim himself lord protector, and start up a theocracy.

French Revolution was the birth of modern politics and the first time that class consciousness really became a big deal. The English civil war was a bunch of different kinds of christians arguing over how much fun was allowed. In the end Cromwell won and decided that the answer was to allow no fun ever. Only then his sissy son couldn't hold things together after he died and everything went back to normal soon enough.

You're forgetting Charles' tyrannical taxation and fines from medieval times and his complete disdain for parliament.

Cromwell was also a member of parliament who became a commander in the New Model Army. He wasn't in the king's inner circle nor was he a religious official.

>medieval times

okay but the rest of your post is on point, english history is not my area of expertise

What I meant is that he used laws and fines from medieval England that weren't being used any more and brought them out again. Like taxing people who lived on public land or ship money.

No I know what you meant by that, i just find the phrase funny because of this medievaltimes.com/

>French Revolution was the birth of modern politics
> first time that class consciousness really became a big deal
Wrong.

1215 Magna Carta, England.

Charles was merely attempting to pay off the enormous deficit the two prior holders of the throne had plunged the government into. Elizabeth I, his aunt, having to fund the defense against that whole Spanish Armada thing, and James VI/Il, the first man to unite the thrones of England and Scotland, known extensively for his extravagant reign. Sum them together and you have a deficit totaling over £2,000,000 in 1629 - the year Charles first dissolves Parliament (an enormous sum when you factor in four hundred years worth of inflation). Much of the so-called 'tyrannical' behavior of his reign like the monopolies, the heavy-handed fines drawing on ancient charters, and the Forest Laws, the 'ship money' - were merely attempts to stay alive in the face of an unwilling and sometimes hostile Parliament - much like his dad had faced alongside the death plots.

yeah man a bunch of nobles telling the king slightly alter and codify the already extant feudal rules really gave power to the people!

sure king john was a tyrant and the magna carta was big but lets not pretend it was anything other than a bunch of nobles being upset the new king wasn't following the feudal contract properly.

Magna Carta is the biggest fucking meme ever.

>Elizabeth I, his aunt, having to fund the defense against that whole Spanish Armada thing
Don't forget the ridiculous sums she spent on the entirely avoidable 9 years war.

>I don't know about the French Revolution or the English Civil War, the post

And thus setting in motion the idea that men are equal under the law, giving rise to individualism and personal property rights.

1215 is where everything, everything began.

>And thus setting in motion the idea that men are equal under the law,
Unless they're not noblemen.

Or the king.

While it took a further 600 years for Europe to catch up, England spread this idea around the world. And here we are, England and its kings, barons, and peasants invented freedom.

yeah dude they were all about democracy and sheeeet haha

>Charter confirming rights of nobles, including over their serfs
>setting in motion the idea that men are equal under the law

Fucking deluded anglo

LMAO

You fell for the Magna Carta was of great importance meme

Literally a meme that has been pushed by every anglo for decades

> a meme so powerful the Supreme Court of the United States has one of the two extant copies of Magna Carta in a fortified basement

That meme has given birth to the world, son, don't you forget it.

What were other countries doing at this time? Praising 'sun kings' and bickering themselves into a thousand irrelevant state-lets. England gave birth to a great idea, and that idea took over the world.

>> a meme so powerful the Supreme Court of the United States has one of the two extant copies of Magna Carta in a fortified basement

So what?

They keep the recipe to Coca-Cola in an underground titanium vault.

What's your point?

>Praising 'sun kings'
Wow I forgot that Louis XIV reigned in 1215, thanks for reminding me user

>a meme so powerful the Supreme Court of the United States has one of the two extant copies of Magna Carta in a fortified basement
Yeah, Americans meme the Magna Carta harder than the Brits. In the UK only 4 of its 66 provisions are still in effect

>I have Never opened a history book but I love england: the post

If the French were praising their king as a literal god in the 17th century, what must he have been in the 13th?
The rule of law was made real in England a whole half-century before barbaric Europe.

> In the UK only 4 of its 66 provisions are still in effect
It's the idea of it: that all men, even a king, must be ruled by law equally. Not that 'you cannot pay a Jew exorbitant interest on a loan'. Although that still sounds like a good idea.

Keep memeing, son. You have Magna Carta to thank for all your current comforts.

>If the French were praising their king as a literal god in the 17th century, what must he have been in the 13th?
wow you are ignorant. Kings had less, not more, power in the 13th century.

>It's the idea of it: that all men, even a king, must be ruled by law equally
But the Magna Carta doesn't say shit about men being ruled by law equally, and contributed literally nothing to that idea

I realize your're shitposting, but I still responded because this misconception is common.

Cromwell did nothing wrong.

is the birth of modern anglo-saxon legislation, so it´s no small matter

> Clause 39
> "No free man shall be seized or imprisoned, or stripped of his rights or possessions, or outlawed or exiled, or deprived of his standing in any way, nor will we proceed with force against him, or send others to do so, except by the lawful judgment of his equals or by the law of the land."

Although the term 'free man' was fairly limited in 1215, with time this encompassed every living English person. More than can be said of continental Europe.

The Magna Carta of 1215 was never even legally binding, so how could it be "the birth of modern anglo-saxon legislation"?

pls don't feed

>Although the term 'free man' was fairly limited in 1215
So you admit you're full of shit?

>with time this encompassed every living English person
A very long time.

>More than can be said of continental Europe
Nope. There were numerous charters between Kings and nobles in continental Europe during the middle ages that were exact equivalents of the Magna Carta, such as the Golden Bull in Hungary in 1222.

You're out of your mind.