Why didn't East Asia into knives and forks?

Why didn't East Asia into knives and forks?

Why didn't they use the spoons they had more than they did?

Why favor eating utensils that make consuming your regional dietary staple so hard?

Other urls found in this thread:

dummies.com/relationships/etiquette/table-manners-using-your-napkin-while-dining/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>cheap
>easy to fashion by hand
>cultural memetics mean proficiency is attained by early childhood

The food is prepared to make it easy to eat with chopsticks, just like we prepare food so that it's easy to eat with a fork. East Asian rice is sticky, so it's pretty trivial for them to pick it up. Also, splitting lines makes you look like a faggot.

While we're at it, let's discus why Chinese foot-binding is a thing.

look man, its a cultural thing... they did it because Asian culture is very... stubborn as opposed to European

They had spoons though.

Considering rice is their foundation of the entire region's diet, and their method of eating it amounts to

>hold bowl up to face
>shovel food into mouth

why didn't anyone ever look at the spoons they also DEFINITELY had and say "Wouldn't that work better?"

>East Asian rice is sticky, so it's pretty trivial for them to pick it up
That's not how they eat rice though.

>Also, splitting lines makes you look like a faggot.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

is that supposed to be a joke?

>That's not how they eat rice though.
They pick up the rice with chopsticks and put it in their mouths. What do you think they do, grab it with their hands?

Pic related? no that's an actual thing. the other part yes.

Is that shit still happening over there?

>t. never watched people in East Asia eat rice

They literally hold the bowl up to their face and shovel the food in, to minimize the amount of time the rice spends precariously hanging on the chopsticks.

Yeah, it's stickier which facilitates its pickup with the chopsticks, but the entire strategy around eating it focuses on how fucking hard it is to eat that specific food with those specific utensils.

ehhhh... it is, but it's like only a select few women just to keep the tradition going. The tradition being performed for its original purpose though is not happening, no. I'd totally sit here and tell you all about it, time mag covered it not too long ago if youre looking for a actual source. google chinese foot binding.

But chopsticks also allow for picking up sushi without ruining it's structural integrity baka gaijin

>Sushi rice, which is prepared in an extremely specific way to have specific properties is representative of all rice eaten in East Asia

>Hey guiz, why don't we start compacting little girls feet to the point of extreme deformation where they can hardly walk
"Great idea! Lets do it"

>Hey guiz, why don't we all flattened the heads of little children in between two boards so they've got a superior sloped look instead of being a roundheaded pleb?
"Holy fuck I want more"

>hey guiz, maybe if we shoved pieces of bone through our penises it will make us more sexually viral
"Yeah all the ladies are going to love this"

>Hey guiz, why don't we start cutting the skin off babies penises, so they aren't tempted to enjoy sex or anything like that
"God damn, I can't believe I never thought of that"

>hey guiz, btw why don't we cut the clits off girls so they don't turn into roasty sluts
"Wow these ideas just keep getting better and better"

>hey guiz, maybe if we cut out this slaves heart and fed it to the sun god he won't curse us with famine. then we'll eat his corpse just to make sure god really blesses us the most
"Sounds like flawless logic to me"

>hey guiz, now that these video camera things are taking off, maybe if we burned journalists to death and put it on youtube our rag tag team of sheep fucking jihadists could trigger a global caliphate and cause the end of the world
"I can't believe I hadn't thought about it before"

Humanity in a nutshell.

1 of these things actually worked
>its the third one

>eating rice with chopsticks
>hard

get good and stop trying to eat dry indian/european rice strains with chopsticks. I don't go around eating pot roast with fucking fondue forks for a reason.

>OP posts a thread questioning glorious nippon on Veeky Forums
You thought the weebs were gone or in containment boards?

Boy you're about to get disabused of that notion

Fork was invented by the Chinese

you forgot the part where

>hey guys, bad news all the poor people are getting educated now so we need to kill them off with CancerEbolAIDSHepC#9/11TruthAnthraxJFKAssinateINC2ndrenaissanceDenverAirportConspir
"NO FUCKING WAY?! GREAT IDEA!"

>not getting the joke

BAKA GAINJIN

>hey guiz, now that we have all information for basically free and available anywhere on earth, without borders or even the constriction of travel time, what do you think we should do with it?
"Lets hang out on /pol/ and draw racist pictures while we complain about furgners (on an international anonymous imageboard) and make up crazy bullshit that not only obviously isn't true, but can be disproven with a google search and the tiniest bit of critical thinking/fact checking/source checking"
>horry fuck what an amazing idea

gimme a break man, this is my first time trolling a message board.

welp, browsing Veeky Forums paid off for today

Confucianism. Knives are violent.

As opposed to us civilised westerners who carry food from the plate to our mouths precariously balanced on a fork, and cover our clothes and furniture with special cloths so they aren't stained when some food inevitably falls off.

i think it had something to do with stabbing the food with a fork/knife being violent

If you ever had good East Asian rice you would know; it's sticky and soft enough to stay in a ball on your chopsticks

The dry gruel Indian and Thai plebs eat don't even compare

Fork and knives BTFO how will they ever recover. All those baka gaijin using their fingers when a convenient utensil was already invented.

Yeah I really don't see how eating rice with a fork as 99% of Westerners do is any better than eating it with chopsticks and there's no reason we shouldn't be using spoons either.
Both Asians and Westerners use spoons to serve the rice already too.

Ayy

Weirdest thing is that the Japanese do eat curry rice with a spoon.

spoons are very common in southeast asia. what you dont find are knifes or forks. im in vietnam ;)

When they first saw westerners using knives and forks they thought it was utterly barbaric. Those things are made for for hunting and preparing food, not for eating.

Are you fucking retarded?

>Why favor eating utensils that make consuming your regional dietary staple so hard?

Just because you don't know how to use it doesn't mean it's hard, otherwise a third of the world wouldn't use it lmao

Its like saying 'why didn't the Japanese invent English, it's a much easier language to speak'

Faggot, if it was easier to manipulate rice with chopsticks than a spoon then why the fuck do they serve it with a spoon instead of chopsticks?

This isn't some "lol primitive savages why aren't they like us" /pol/ bullshit. Forks are just as shit for eating rice. Spoons however aren't. It's a legitimate question.

Why invent a second, harder way to manipulate the food?

From an anthropological perspective it's fucking fascinating.

>Vietnam
>Actually uses the most logical tool for the job
That right there is why they beat the US in a war, while the Japanese couldn't hang and the Chinese got BTFO by the Japanese and thus through the transitive property are even worse. :^)

Maybe curry rice is soup and thus a spoon is appropriate?

>curry rice
Don't you mean kare raisu?

>why the fuck do they serve it with a spoon instead of chopsticks

Traditionally they don't

>kare raisu
>not kareeraisu

Bullshit.

I dunno.
Why did it take you Western faggots so long to make a printing press or a half decent clock?

Why did you Eastern faggots need us to develop effective gunpowder weapons and half decent ocean going ships?

Thats not what he said. A tool intended for one use can be superior to a tool intended for another use at said use.

Case in point: Learning to write chinese with the latin alphabet is easier for chinese children living in china than learning the bajillion kanji ypu need to be able to write well

>and cover our clothes and furniture with special cloths so they aren't stained when some food inevitably falls off.
you aren't supposed to cover yourself when you are not a child anymore ... precisely because it's not supposed to fall

Someone get this ill-mannered barbarian out of here.
dummies.com/relationships/etiquette/table-manners-using-your-napkin-while-dining/

because they use a single dish with food cut into small pieces so chopsticks are more hygienic since when used properly they never come in contact with the mouth, also it's much more convenient to eat rice out of a bowl with sticks than with fork or chinese style spoons

>Why didn't East Asia into knives and forks?
China did tho, but because of a huge population bost the food was much smaller, hard to cut and eat with fork and knife.
Also, buy cutting the food into smaller pieces, you need less wood to prepare it. However, eating small portions of meat with a work or knife is just useless, easier to use chopsticks.

Also Confucious said that the act of eating with tableware should be civilized and hormonious or whatever. Nothing harmonious or civilized with eating with weapons.

Why did Chinese develop movable type but abandoned it in favor of inefficient woodblock printing?

>Also Confucious said that the act of eating with tableware should be civilized and hormonious or whatever. Nothing harmonious or civilized with eating with weapons.

This is the explanation I heard too, but where exactly did Confucius say this? I read an English translation of the Analects at one point, but I don't remember this being mentioned.

There are ten billion quotes attributed to Confucius, most of them probably invented 2000 years after his death.

hah, excuse me but i am French so i'm pretty sure i know more than you do about table manners

when i was like 10 my parents told me to take off the napkin since i'm not a baby and i shouldn't drop any food now
if you do drop any food you are incompetent btw

>hah, excuse me but i am French so i'm pretty sure i know more than you do about table manners

You don't know more about table manners, you all are just stuck-up assholes.

yeah whatever you say, i totally haven't heard this a thousand time before

Excuse ME but I am French too and your parents are low-brow proles.

Did your parents also teach you that punctuation and capitalization is just for elementary schoolers?

Well if everyone else in the world agrees Pierre, then there's gotta be some truth to it.

i never capitalize on Veeky Forums because it feels wrong to me to put effort in my posts here, i'm already wasting time just by being here and furthermore i definitely don't want any of you niggers taking any pleasure reading my posts

You sound like an insufferable person.

French people proving that they're insufferable yet again

I am so sorry you had to see this.

>mfw retards genuinely believe this

What's really funny is the utensils weren't even a thing in the West until the 18th century and Europeans were regarded as unwashed savages in Asia due to the fact that they ate with their hands and had poor hygiene.

You retard how else do you eat a stew? With a fucking fork?

You can totally eat curry rice with a fork. Pretty sure all Westerners eat stew/gravy with a fork and either rice, mashed potatoes or bread. Certainly never seen anyone eat it with a spoon outside of Japan.

>50 cents have been deposited into your account

The Manchu really JUST'd China up a great deal.

Also, the Chinese didn't really need to bother crossing oceans, being that they had ready access to just about every trade good.

Fr*nch "people" truly are the worst.

Europe surpassed china in gunpowder weapons in the 1500s already. Portuguese traders considered chinese cannons to be quite shit, and the chinese sought to buy better european guns.

And whether for a good reason or not, european ships were the key to european colonialism

and today you are the unwashed 3rd world savages, full of disease and poverty you're barely seen as human, the literal trash of the west goes to your countries and fucks your women (and men) for 5$ or even for free, funny huh

>Choffs the Anglo, between, or shall I say during, mouthfuls of beans, his elbows firmly planted on the table so any leakage drips onto his plate, as he hammers furiously at the keyboard with his non-bean-spoon-hand

Sushi is finger food, street food. Japanese don't eat it with chopsticks, or at least they didn't until a few decades ago.

That-su the joke baka

>Whites
>be a bunch of literal lazy niggers who's entire civilization is built on stolen shit
>Be in decline because being nigger rich is not the same as having actual wealth
>Getting cucked by mudslimes and pioneered the fetish
>calling anyone a savage
>mfw

It's like the Congo calling Costa Rica a shit hole. What's really funny is the despite all the development in the West, white people never figured out basic hygiene because I can assure you that you're more likely to acquire food poisoning in an LA restaurant than food cart in India.

>you're more likely to acquire food poisoning in an LA restaurant than food cart in India.
That's mostly because the food is made in some chinese immigrant's bathtub and served by mexican illegals. Not even memeing.

Wrong.

Koreans and Mexicans are the backbone of the food industry in California. If they aren't making the food, it likely won't be good and you're more likely to acquire food poisoning.

lol no, never got any food issues in the west meanwhile in your shithole countries i got diarrhea over and over again don't even pretend this isn't true

also
>muh white people stole civilization
ridiculous

Not once did I get food poisoning overseas that seems like a personal issue for you because you're clearly too stupid to avoid the shitty vendors.

>ridiculous

Nothing ridiculous about the truth saying otherwise is flat out denial.

Yeah right it's just a coincidence

>Nothing ridiculous about the truth saying otherwise is flat out denial.
>
Just open a book you'll see only white people everywhere for the past 2500 years doing absolutely everything of note
(unless you're one of those people who say 3/4ths of Europe isn't white in which case you should just be ignored)

It's a not a coincidence what I'm saying is that you got sick due to your stupid choices. The fact that you say you never got sick in the West is an outright lie.

>Just open a book you'll see only white people everywhere for the past 2500 years doing absolutely everything of note

Right because history books with a eurocentric bent are an accurate account of world history. Just because the West controls the narrative doesn't make it true.

forks and knives are quite expensive. in china, ordinary people used chop sticks to eat. in europe, ordinary people used their figers to eat. forks and knives are only "normal" in the west since maybe a century or two. chinese sticked to their chopsticks, since most of their food is made to be eaten with chopsticks anyways.

Because chopsticks are simply superior for the type of food they eat.

They do use spoons.

>Right because history books with a eurocentric bent are an accurate account of world history. Just because the West controls the narrative doesn't make it true.
But they mostly are. What is written in those books isn't fiction it's just facts.
You could find just a list of simple accurate facts, like "In that year such country did such thing, such person invented such thing" and so on. And indeed you'll find a lot of white people.
There are many objective and outsidet accounts of it, original manuscripts and so which if you want to check out for yourself if they are real, no doubt they are in a museum/library somewhere.
What would you write instead ? What is your version of history i'm curious ? Go ahead prove to me that actually white people never did anything, i'll be waiting.

Didn't mean to quote you

I dont know why you replied to me but my girlfriend is chinese, properly from China, and they definitely use spoons

they use knives and forks too just not with chinese food, only when they eat western.

mah neger

Because etiquette doesn't make sense. Not everything is about efficiency. Knives and forks were (maybe still are?) considered barbaric according to certain Confucian principles.

Were you to ask a traditionalist Chinese person "why not use spoons to eat rice?" they might say that being polite is much more important than eating as fast as possible.

>Niggers
I'm French. Please refrain from being a immense d-bag Pierre.

Two words. Sp Ork. Best of both worlds.

>But they mostly are. What is written in those books isn't fiction it's just facts.

What's written in those books are the results of poor research and hubris. They completely ignore the work done by other civilizations and how they contributed to the work or how they actually created the subject. The best example of this is the claim that Pythagoras created the Pythagorean Theorem, when it was already known to Mesopotamian, Indian and Chinese scholars long before Pythagoras was even born.

>Go ahead prove to me that actually white people never did anything, i'll be waiting

You're claiming that not me. My stance is that since the West controls the narrative they can make all kinds of egregious and absurd claims with regards to its effect on world development, as if everything came out of Europe when historically it was an irrelevant backwater on the peripherals of the Old World.

>What's written in those books are the results of poor research and hubris. They completely ignore the work done by other civilizations and how they contributed to the work or how they actually created the subject. The best example of this is the claim that Pythagoras created the Pythagorean Theorem, when it was already known to Mesopotamian, Indian and Chinese scholars long before Pythagoras was even born
What about all the books by the western scholars themselves ?
The ones where they explain their reasoning and conclusions in great length, and you can clearly see that they are brilliant people ?
These great books they just went and stole it all apparently. None of their thoughts or inventions were original.

It's all lies and they just copied it from the ancient lost books of brown people

Is this what i am supposed to believe ? Putting words in your mouth a little but this is what you sound like

>You're claiming that not me. My stance is that since the West controls the narrative they can make all kinds of egregious and absurd claims with regards to its effect on world development, as if everything came out of Europe
So many things did come out of Europe though. Do we just pretend they didn't ?
Which ones ? Oh, the whole "narrative", so basically all of it ?

>when historically it was an irrelevant backwater on the peripherals of the Old World.
The last 2500 years or so is hardly "irrelevant" in history, don't be dishonest
You are just ignoring an entire era probably for political reasons
The irrelevant era of Europe before that wasn't even so bad btw, actually it's pretty interesting

Came to learn about the history of chopsticks
>unwashed savages
>deejunurashee
>other /pol/ shitposting
>I'm X and I know shit cause we are the culinary masters
>foot binding
Why

China was definitely capable of creating large scale exploratory expeditions such as the Ming Treasure ships, but external threats from northern peoples and internal power struggles between different court factions (in the Ming, this mostly meant struggles between the eunuch factions and the extended imperial family) meant this sort of external spending was considered frivolous. In Europe the multi-polar balance of power created bigger incentives, and additionally the presence of the relatively calmer and safer Mediterranean provided a more forgiving environment to develop maritime technologies.

This is actually amazing. I often eat snacks with a spoon not to get grease on my hands while I'm on the pc but it doesn't work with chips.

It's also important to note that Europe had long-standing traditions of trade in bulk, due again to the relative calmness/smallness of the Mediterranean making bulk trades relatively less risky.

In Southeast and east Asia maritime trade was almost exclusively focused on a very small volume of very high value goods - silk, spices, tea, and silver/gold. This meant you had a far smaller merchant marine to build a professional naval infrastructure from and far fewer people invested in the success of new maritime technology.

>The ones where they explain their reasoning and conclusions in great length, and you can clearly see that they are brilliant people ?

If actually knew anything about academia you'd know that they fall into the same self-deception, mania and bullshit as the rest of the common herd. They'll use all kinds of reasoning to justify bad research and science in order to fit their agendas and biases. No one batted an eye when phrenology was popular or when some Norwegian historian claimed that all Norwegians are actually descended from Atlanteans.

>These great books they just went and stole it all apparently. None of their thoughts or inventions were original.

Open up an actual objective history book. You'll know that most of the inventions that were supposedly created in the West had already existed in more developed parts of the Old World or were simply copied and refined.

>So many things did come out of Europe though.

Independent ideas came out of Europe but were they original or were they the first? More often then not that wasn't the case.

>The last 2500 years or so is hardly "irrelevant" in history, don't be dishonest

Post-Roman Europe was an irrelevant backwater. Europe only began being relevant again in the 16th century. You only think it's interesting because of the amount of self-wanking texts produced by Western academia attempting to talk the region up as more important than it actually was, when in reality the continent of Asia for most of human history was the cultural and economic powerhouse of the world.

Veeky Forums in a nutshell

This is true, but the chinese were basically in decline from the fall of the Song Dynasty. They really never recovered their mojo after being Mongol'd

>it's a dumb weab bases all their knowledge of the east on anime and has never actually tried doing the things they ask retarded questions about thread

baka desu senpai