Give me one reason why the average people in Roman Britain wouldn't speak Latin as their mother tongue by the time of...

Give me one reason why the average people in Roman Britain wouldn't speak Latin as their mother tongue by the time of the fall of the Roman Empire just like the average peoples of all other former Celtic lands like France and Iberia.
You can't. That's why English is 60% Latin with no Celtic word whatsoever.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brithenig
en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/mongrel
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Latin
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

britannia was never as roman as other provinces. it was on the edge of the empire behind the sea.

¿Qué?

Actually English is Germanic, you dolt. Germanic has words from Celtic languages though if that's what you're referring to due to the time when the Celts were overlords to the Germans

what the fuck?

English is 26% Germanic.

The grammar and most common words are largely germanic

4% of the language is derived from proper names? How does that work? Is it just things like "Marxism" etc.? 4% seems a lot.

Interesting.

The four graphs i posted are of course based upon more recent etymological categorization, as it includes the categories of "old" and "middle english" which themselves are mostly germanic in root (though im no etymologist so this could be entirely false.)

>no Celtic word whatsoever
Just off the top of my head: crag, glen, galore, bracken, smashing, smithereens, slogan, bog, boycott, clock, whiskey, slew and phoney.

English has far fewer Celtic words than you night expect but saying there are "none" is asinine

The source of your graphs is an amateur blog which obviously misclassified a lot of words.
The source of this graph is scientific work by University professors.

Britain wasnt as romanized as the other provinces, so after the roman's departure celtic niggery became dominant again.

This guy made a brittonic latin conlang btw
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brithenig

the latin words are inflated by medical/scientific terminology you probably never use in casual conversation. the most common words in English are Germanic-derived.

What are you trying to imply with this picture?

Celts had control over large swaths of Germanic land. This was how many Celtic words became Old German words.

The English language has the most interesting history of any language on earth.

First the Anglo-Saxons invade the British isles during the fall of the Roman Empire, and annihilate the Celtic languages throughout what became England.

Then The Anglo-Saxons themselves get nearly destroyed by the Danes a few hundred years later and their grammar becomes extremely simplified.

Following that there are the Norman invasions after which English was suppressed as a smelly Germanic barbarian slave language for a few centuries, before it eventually had a resurgence when the french speaking ruling class lost their connection to the rest of the Norman lands.

Then there were the efforts in the post renaissance era to formalize the language and make it something that could be held up alongside Latin.

Finally it spreads to every corner of the earth through colonization, and eventually becomes the global language.

The only other language that is about as interesting is PIE or Latin and the first one doesn't really count while the second one is dead.

You do realize that germanics (including angles and saxons) came from here you dipshit?

You do realize that that indicates areas where there were Germanics without Celts right? There were still Germanic peoples in today's Southern Germany you retard

>Give me one reason why the average people in Roman Britain wouldn't speak Latin as their mother tongue by the time of the fall of the Roman Empire just like the average peoples of all other former Celtic lands like France and Iberia.
Huh, british latin was indeed the vernacular language of late antiquity Britain for the elites and as a lingua franca between different tribes. It's not really an obscure fact.

Germanics migrated to those lands several centuries later. It was germanics who came to control celtic lands, not vice versa.

and it was btw already mostly latinized by then.

>The Romans knew of Celtic tribes living in Magna Germania (Greater Germania), and what we now term Germanic tribes living in Gaul, then a predominantly Celtic region. It is also not clear that they distinguished the tribes into linguistic categories in any exact way. The language of the Germani Cisrhenani and their neighbours across the Rhine is still unclear. Their tribal names and personal names are generally considered Celtic, and there are also signs of an older Belgic language which once existed between the contact zone of the Germanic and Celtic languages.
Oh but yeah, all of the Germans migrated there much later right? fucking idiot

Britain was hardly Romanised outside the few cities. It's the reason why it was one of the only parts of the former Empire to lose Latin as its mother tongue and not have its own Romance language.

Also, you're wrong. English has little Latin in it, and the Latin it does have usually stems indirectly via French. Even Welsh has more Latin words in it, like window.

You ARE talking of time several centuries later. And it was only that strap between Elbe and Rhine which was the borderland of Roman empire and thus important area for trade, mercenaries, raiding and such so it was naturally multicultural.

That's stupid.
Britain DID have its own romance language, only it went extinct completely.
And it was more due to the heft of its invasions rather than the level of romanization, just look at Illyria: it was completely romanized yet it still lost its romance language.

>Celtic words that wormed their way into German language in slightly different forms Reich (empire), Reiks( King in Gothic), Amt (Office), Bann (an order), Frei (Free), Geisel (hostage), werth (value), Skalks/Schalks (Gothic for Slave), etc.
Notice that many of these words are words that a noble caste would use that an underclass would have less reason to use. Pretty much any serious historian believes that Germanic people in a large portion of Germany were under celtic rule for a period and have left an undeniable mark on their language. So fuck off.

Not how languages work, at all.

I like to imagine English as structurally German but latin in words

Anyone from the North or Scotland here? Do people actually use "thede" for "kin, folk"?

>Roman Britain
Meme. There wasnt Roman port in continental side of channel to serve big population of iceland. Small fortress is maximal presence of Empire.

Well aren't you an autistic faggot.

Latin WAS the language of the people, albeit only in the south east (Lloegyr) and around the colonies at York and along the Wall. Google "vindolanda letters".

A lot of these are Gaelic in origin though, not British.

'Dad' is Welsh for father

>shenanigans

'Ma' is Chinese for mother. Spooky, huh?

Meant for

>chinese
>spooky
>spook
Uncanny

>Spooky
Mama and dada/tata/papa are basically universal. They're simply the easieast and earliest syllables children learn and use.

The Slavic languages and Japanese have words for 'father' that are freakishly similar for two such distinct sets of languages

>tfw live in deep demetae territory

what the fuck i love ireland now.

Pembrokeshire?
Come home Anglo-Man

Otac and tou/chichi aren't really that similiar user.

You got it, surname comes from Staffordshire but there's been a lot of Welsh/English intermingling in my family and now I find out that the Irish settled here ages ago so I probably have some of that in me. I'm a mongrel.

>I'm a mongrel.

Three types of briton does not make you a mongrel you stupid faggot. Seriously kys.

Irish are Gaels not Britons and the English are mostly Anglo-Saxon by blood, only the Welsh are Britons out of those three.

Learn your Veeky Forumstory before posting that hostile shit here, you idiotic twat.

You are a fucking halfwit, please fuck off and be stupid somewhere else.

Actually only a third or so are latin, although that increases if you count french words. Even so, it's possible to write lengthy passages in english using only words of germanic origin.

>thinks the descendants of gaels and saxons are "britons"
>has the audacity to call me stupid and viciously insult me under no reasonable basis

People like you make my fucking blood boil, all this hostility because I said "mongrel" in the CORRECT context? I hope I never have the displeasure of meeting anyone as angry or as plain stupid as you, fuck off you moronic knuckledragger.

You are literally retarded, please stop posting and end your worthless """life"""

tbf 'Britons' has a double-meaning
One the one hand it refers to Celtic, or even pre-Celtic inhabitants of what we now call Britain
One the other it means 'a citizen of Britain'

Welsh, English and Scots alike are a fairly equal mixture of pre-Celtic Briton, Celt and Anglo-Saxon, but matters are confused by the fact the Welsh are culturally Celtic, the English culturally Anglo, and the Scots a kind of halfway house between the two

Says the empty-headed prick who doesn't know what a Briton is, yet has the ignorance to call me stupid, kek. What do you get out of being so angry, honestly? Why are you such a hostile fucker?

>on, not one

Seriously it was funny at first but now you're just embarrassing yourself. Seek help.

Ignore the fact that you got something completely wrong and just proceed to insult and ridicule someone else under no clear basis.

en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/mongrel

"a person of mixed descent"

I'm of mixed descent, hence that makes me a mongrel. What don't you fucking understand? What the hell is wrong with you? YOU seek help.

>being this much of a complete a and utter fool

Wow you're really going all-in with the retardation, aren't you?

You're just teasing me now, there's no way somebody can be this much of a buffoon and be serious about it, even though I've explained to you correctly what a mongrel is, all you've fucking said are things along the lines of "retard" or "kill yourself", I'm done replying to intellectual pygmies like you. Hope you calm down and start being nice to people.

>start being nice to people

I'm always nice to PEOPLE.

Go fuck yourself, I hope you die very soon and in considerable agony from something humiliating like cancer of the asshole.

>You can't. That's why English is 60% Latin with no Celtic word whatsoever.
98% of Latin vocabulary in English came a thousand years after the Celts were wiped out in England.

Where is the evidence for that?

There's almost no Latin vocabulary in English writing until it starts pouring in in the 16th century?

Jesus Christ Britain got raped

This is around the same time English scholars began to try to systemise English grammar using Latin as a model.

Are you possibly referring that you used to be Romans and the like?

Russians must have been under Roman rule

>Britain DID have its own romance language, only it went extinct completely.

No, it had its own Brythonic Celtic tongue, which has turned into modern Welsh. That is not a Romance language however, i.e. one that is descended primarily from Latin.

>Pretty much any serious historian believes that Germanic people in a large portion of Germany were under celtic rule for a period

No, it is believed that Germanics expanded Southwards into Celtic areas. They adopted Celtic legal norms to some degree, which is the reason for some of the Celtic loanwords.

I always wonder how many of those Latin words are technically of Greek origin.

They did

Its called British Latin although little if any written examples exist

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Latin

Lloegyr was what they called the land lost in the initial Saxon migration. not the romanized parts of britain