Why were there so many violent coups and repressive totalitarian dictatorships during the twentieth century...

Why were there so many violent coups and repressive totalitarian dictatorships during the twentieth century? What sparked it all?

Dirty commies and the Great Depression.

Mostly dirty commies. Germany must never be allowed to forget the pain that they inflicted on this earth by creating and promoting communism. It makes the Nazis look puerile in comparison.

The 20th century is not unique when it comes to this, they're essentially kings but without the title or the tacky fashion

its worth noting that there were many violent coups and repressive totalitarian dictatorships in every century

The amount of autocracy didn't change between the 19th and 20th century. What changed is how much power the government had, what with all the fancy new surveillance and killing technology.

The passion for the Real.

>The 20th century is not unique when it comes to this

Stalin, Hitler, Pol Pot, and Mao all creating revolutionary new nationalist systems of thought policing and creating guidelines for which art and literature should be burned and which should be allowed to be sold has a precedent in earlier centuries?

>tfw all modern day heads of state are boring inoffensive suit and tie wearing beaurcrats except dueterte

Bring back despots nao

Bruh, Putin is basically a Bond villain.

Abu Bakr-al Baghdadi would like a word with you

Tired of white folks fucking their shit up

Not him, but coming up with programs about what sorts of art, literature, and yes, thought, is hardly new. They would literally call them things like "burning chambers" in places like France and England.

>Putin is basically a Bond villain
t.Hillary Clinton

Imperialism and Capitalism are the two main causes.

You'll believe whatever the local aristocrat told the town crier to yell in the Agora.

>Stalin, Hitler, Pol Pot, and Mao all creating revolutionary new nationalist systems of thought policing and creating guidelines for which art and literature should be burned and which should be allowed to be sold has a precedent in earlier centuries?

Louis XVI and to a lesser extent Elizabeth I are a couple monarchs with notable cults of personality, I'm sure others can think of more. Louis' state in particular exercised strong control over the arts. Monarchist though policing goes back to ancient Egypt.

ideology was the new religion, totalitarians are just the same as other religious fanatics

>putin dindu nuffin, he a good president.
Obama fucked up russia without firing a shot. Putin got btfo by a nigger LMAO.

I think it's technology. It started advancing at a tremendous rate - at a too fast rate - and society wasn't quite ready for it. I'm worried that we may have something similar waiting for us in the future.

Perhaps sarcastic, but you didn't hear of the Spanish Inquisition by chance?

The Industrial revolution and it's total change of society and economy.

how is this any different from the centuries before other than scale?

Wow, I'm the first one stating this. Damn, I must be really smart. I bet you wished now that you where first to post this obvious fact.

Totalitarianism is the opiate and wet dream of every uneducated and useless person. Such people want to have a strong authority who dictates every single step and phase of their lives (education, work career etc.) because these people can't look after themselves.

your Mother's fat ass

Didnt expect that one

The key word in that sentence was "state"

>The Industrial Revolution was the transition to new manufacturing processes in the period from about 1760 to sometime between 1820 and 1840.

Because Big Macs are better than potatoes and beef.

>Big Macs are better than potatoes and beef
Disgusting.

That time frame depends a lot on the geography, luckily most people do not live on the British Islands. The better parts of Europe did get industrialized quite a bit later.
The Industrial revolution totally changed society and economy, this in turn lead to the violent history of the 20th century.

Nobody does.

This Jew was the reason why

God is dead

we killed him

lol what now?

Its worth noting that the world population was over 2 billion after 1927.