What are your thoughts on cultural appropriation?

What are your thoughts on cultural appropriation?

Other urls found in this thread:

everydayfeminism.com/2015/06/cultural-appropriation-wrong/
bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/music/popular_music/blues2.shtml
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

People dressing up as skimpy native american tribeswomen and calling sports teams "redskins" is pretty fucked up

The weak should fear the strong

It was a short fad drummed up on the internet for clicks and reactions. No one took it seriously then besides a few institutions that got memed on, and it's certainly dead now.

Dumb concept made up by racist segregationists who fooled themselves into believing they're liberalsm

This. Nobody except a few tumblrites gives a fuck IRL.

Its a white person/westernized minority thing.
Actual foreign born PoC or whatever don't give a shit.

being a minority just fucks with your worldview, white people would be doing the same shit if they were a 7% minority in China, it's just the way it is being part of the outgroup fucks with your head and causes you to consider all kinds of silly shit, white liberal types walking around getting offended on your behalf doesn't help either

I'm progressive as hell and this is just a bit too far on the kooky scale for me. Sure, dressing up in Jolson style blackface is a pretty shitty thing to do, but seriously, people need to chill.

>Sure, dressing up in Jolson style blackface is a pretty shitty thing to do,
why

Americans are the only ones who get buttravaged about blackface. Sweden is hyper progressive and blackface is a common thing there.

Its basically just racists saying dont dress up like we do.

Because some people don't like it.

but lots of people don't like lots of different things
what makes blackface special

Something about mocking black people by trying to look like them, it's another one of those things that isn't demonstrably evil but is called racist anyway so that the people who make a business out of "racism" can have another thing to bitch about

But RDJ did it as recent as 2008 (Tropic Thunder).

how butthurt did the /pol/ios get when Usain bolt wore lederhosen for Oktoberfest?

If black people went to Halloween parties in SS uniforms and dressed up as hicks how butthurt would people get?

Really sears my sirloins.

>this logic
I don't like you, stop existing then.

Blacks in SS uniforms are funny if anything.

Wait... according to these people would it be cultural appropriation for Akira Toriyama to heavily theme Dragon Ball around Chinese culture?

They'd probably support the SS bit.
Black wehraboos are funny.

Because history and tradition

Just one more thing to cry about.

>black hicks don't exist
do you not know about how the south is like 80% black?

because it was historically used in plays/films to give an extremely demeaning portrayal of black people played up for laughs

Go to any country in Eastern Europe, and show interest in their culture, you will be appreciated.

Latino user here (Peruvian-American), these faggots need to chill out and be able to take a fucking joke.

>implying uncle toms aren't a thing

>implying owning a confederate flag as a black person means your an uncle tom

Only whites can do it as far as im aware. Keep in mind that people who talk about these things are racists and it all makes more sense.

The fighting style in Dragon Ball is a parody of Kung Fu... these people would be fuming.

Latinos are white though.

Appropriating a facet of culture without acknowledging or even understand the underlying rationale or history is fucking stupid.

t.asian

Please explain further, why does the black, white or brown man dressing up like you do hurt you so bad. Why does it matter that they need to understand it?

Yes because the foundation of the confederacy is the belief on black inferiority according to.their Vice President.

But what if I just think it looks cool?
Where's the harm in that.
t. half asian

Costume in the picture is of a mexican anyway

Unless the people in those pictures specifically come from peoples such as the japanese and what not some chinese american getting buttmad over a geisha costume is outright cringe-tier "muh heritage" faggotry in the same way a 1/20th irish american gets high and mighty about "muh english, muh northern ireland".

>black people "take back" the word nigger
>but white southerners and southerners in general are never allowed to use the confederate flag ever and it must always be associated with racism forever

Yankee spotted, stay mad

It can be (but is not inherently) tacky and disrespectful, but it's also hardly the grievous sin social justice warriors make it out to be.

You would be half-racist if you dressed up as a samurai
t. ur mum

Civil War sore loser spotted

The difference is black people deciding for themselves how to use a derivation of the word amongst themselves is different than the continuation of the confederate flags usage outside of their homes.

So what youre saying is that the confederate-aboos arent allowed to decide on their own what the flag means.

You rarely hear Northern Europeans complain about how America commercialized Halloween.

>One person speaks for millions of people
Sounds legit.

Actually i whine about it a lot lately because i keep getting trick or treaters here during halloween. Keep in mind we already have a trick or treat event during easter here in northern europe.

There's a big cultural difference regarding it too. That's why. In the states it started in the minstrel shows as a stage convention to highlight idiotic, uppity, or lazy black characters. You get tropes like Zip Coon, the duo that Amos and Andy are later versions of, etc. Even vaudeville performers like Bert Williams (who was himself black and WC Fields called the funniest man on stage) used blackface and affected the simple but pontificating persona from the minstrel show era.

This is probably the biggest thing. With American Whites, it becomes one of those "this is why we can't have nice things" episodes. And it still happens today. You see American whites get upset about minor little PC things, and then they go full retard with their racist shit, proving why they're not allowed to do it in the first place.

People don't like it because it because they often completely misunderstands what it actually is. Cultural appropriation isn't just wearing or doing something not originating from your culture, it's adapting something while completely losing the meaning behind why it exists in the first place. Like, say, some dude wearing a native American Chief hat when he is neither a Chief or a native American, and doesn't even understand why the fuck the hat exists to begin with.

Now, of course, ironically the real definition of cultural appropriation has been lost due to an abundance of retards abusing the term at any given instance of someone using something outside of their own culture.

>it's a leftist in-fighting episode

>Like, say, some dude wearing a native American Chief hat when he is neither a Chief or a native American, and doesn't even understand why the fuck the hat exists to begin with
I literally still don't see the harm in this.

I never said it shouldn't be allowed, just providing context for why it's a bigger deal in the states than it is in, say, northern Europe. It's primarily a product of the minstrel show tradition.

You know when /pol/ whines about white society being lost because of immigrants? It's basically that. Eventually a culture's ideas and symbols will lose all meaning and recognizability, and anyone who cares would hate to see that.

A more positive version of cultural appropriation is cultural exchange, when both parties are able to share and educate the other on their ideas.

>It's basically that.
It's basically not.

Accusations of cultural appropriation range from calling out things that are tacky but ultimately harmless to being outright regressive. Take an example from this article here:
everydayfeminism.com/2015/06/cultural-appropriation-wrong/
>Who comes to mind when you think of rock and roll?
>Is it a white person?
>Who do you think started rock and roll? Is it Elvis Presley, the so-called “King of Rock and Roll?”
>Surprise! Rock and roll came out of the blues and was initially largely shaped by Black artists. The problem was that in the 1950s, racist white people were clear that they didn’t want to support a Black artist.
>And while Elvis never claimed to have started it (and was clear about the Black artists who influenced him), our media has rewritten history to claim that Elvis invented rock and roll. And now it’s hard to think of rock and roll ever having been music that came from the Black community. Have you ever even heard of Sister Rosetta Tharpe?
So basically, people like Elvis and presumably Buddy Holly, the Beatles, the Beach Boys, etc. were committing "cultural appropriation." They should have just stuck to their white boy music instead of letting themselves be influenced by the music they loved because it wasn't "their culture." And anyone who suggests that can fuck right off.

>"our media has rewritten history to claim that Elvis invented rock and roll. And now it’s hard to think of rock and roll ever having been music that came from the Black community."

Literally no one thinks or says that. Good grief.

why do you assume the poster you're replying to will consider your argument if you equate it to some idiotic /pol/ shit?

this is like one of those MS paint comics of a current day progressive strawman that /pol/ loves so much, except unironic.

>our media has rewritten history to claim
Examples?
>bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/music/popular_music/blues2.shtml

>white people get bootyblasted when you wear a band's t-shirt but don't listen to that band
>white people flip the fuck out when the Mall of America has a black Santa Claus
>"lol you people need to chill the fuck out about my costume"

Pointing out you're an asshole for doing a thing doesn't mean you're not allowed to do it. I think it's also important to point out that there's a pretty serious difference between a black person pointing out that by putting on blackface in America you're participating in a very old, very racist tradition, and dipshits getting butthurt over white people teaching yoga.
>tfw tumblristas and white nationalists adopt similar stances on multiculturalism without realizing it

There's nothing wrong with participating in a culture that isn't yours, particularly if it's done seriously and with respect to that culture. But when an American Indian tells you that your "Indian" costume pisses them off, I don't think you get to whine about how oppressed you are.

They link an 11-year-old article that criticizes a "50th anniversary of rock" issue of Rolling Stone for apparently claiming that Elvis invented rock and roll. Which, if true, is a pretty good example but it also seems like they were reaching if they had to go that far back.

>>white people get bootyblasted when you wear a band's t-shirt but don't listen to that band
>>white people flip the fuck out when the Mall of America has a black Santa Claus
>>"lol you people need to chill the fuck out about my costume"
nobody ITT has said this.

>American "progressives" sublimate their race obsession by calling everyone else racist
This, and the whole "there are three ethnicities: white, black, and yellow, and only the first two are worth mentioning" meme needs to die.

I love putting on my great great grandfather's tracht and dancing with the girls at my town parish's Oktoberfest

so sue me

It's a crock of shit. I had a theory about whites just being able to monetize better, but that rings false, but money is involved. One thing I'll say: A little brown girl doing ballet being ground breaking and diverse, while a white girl being into African tribal dance or whatever being considered cultural appropriation is dumb. In the case of braids vs weave there's this whole defense mechanism/blending in argument that I can't really get into.

me mum made me wear a kimono whenever we visited family in japan though

>white people flip the fuck out when the Mall of America has a black Santa Claus
Any young person (

It's silly and I'm legit upset over Americans being a bunch of people that on one hand are oversensetive and on another one have too much autism to understand when they're cunts. I hope to God it doesn't become a thing here.

Australia?

Have you not set foot on a college campus within the last few years? Hell, one walk through a sociology department and you will think you walked directly into tumblr.

because its only offensive to north americans.

No. Try a random western country. This is as far as I know an exclusively American phenomena, exactly like the American pro-fat movement.

I just wish they would stop calling Del taco and taco bell "Mexican food", it has nothing at all to do with my nations cuisine.

Beyond that I don't give a fuck.

why do mexicans deny that they make tacos?

>pro-fat movement
Baffled this even exists tbqh

What you call tacos aren't the kind of tacos we make.

nigga Taco Bell tried to branch out and market their same food in Mexico as foreign US-style food, and no one wanted it. Order a taco from a family-owned mexican place sometime, you'll thank yourself

mexican tacos and taco bell are the same thing

anyway, tacos sell very well in spain, taco bell has opened over a hundred stores there

>mexican tacos and taco bell are the same thing
No they're not. Stop trolling

Stupid people who don't know shit about music might think this. That's also why neo-feminists might believe this.

They aren't high quality tacos, but yes, they are the same thing.

No they're not. Even the wrap is different. It's a curved tostada instead of a tortilla for some ducking reason. It isn't even a taco, it's some kind of weird taco-tostada hybrid you fagots slathered in cheese.

You're confusing a chalupa with a taco. Taco bell tacos are made with tortillas.

a tostada and a tortilla are the same thing

No it isn't

Taco bell quite literally got no part of a taco right. It doesn't even use a tortilla, that's like the one thing it needs to even begin to be a taco and it doesn't have it.

>It doesn't even use a tortilla
It does use a tortilla. If it didn't have a tortilla, you didn't order a taco.

No they aren't

A tostada is hard a tortilla is soft.

well any taco I've gotten from taco bell was a soft tortilla

maybe you just don't know what a taco bell is

Tortillas aren't hard

Unless you're making taquitos but that's going into flautas territory and things get tricky there.

You realize that you can get soft tacos at Taco Bell, correct? Either way, a hard shell taco is just a fried tortilla. It's still a tortilla. You don't say toast isn't fucking bread. Steak doesn't cease to be fucking steak because you grilled it. A fried tortilla is still a tortilla.

Maybe after its been soaking in grade E meat juice. But taco bell used corn chip shells for their tacos unless you ask for one of their soft tacos. Those are tacos though.

so you're complaining because they also sell hard shell tacos

when they sell tacos that use a soft tortilla

that's just autism

>You don't say toast isn't fucking bread.
Were not talking about bread we're talking about tortillas and yes a fried tortilla isn't a tortilla anymore its a totopo so no, drying the tortilla makes it a tostada. Making a taco out of a tostada is no longer a taco, sorry.

>Tostada - A flat TORTILLA that has been fried or toasted, or a dish based on this. Usually associated with the cuisine of Latin America.
I'm glad you have autism, but could you go REEEE somewhere else? A fried tortilla is still a fucking tortilla.

The hard shell tacos aren't tacos. The soft shell tacos are tacos but the ingredients used aren't traditional. I simply want them to acknowledge that and not call it "Mexican food" when it isn't.

No it isn't it's a totopo, you use it in chilaquiles.

A totopo isn't a tortilla.
>Totopo, in Mexican cuisine, is a flat, round, or triangular corn product similar to a tortilla
You're getting BTFO here at every turn. Seriously, REEEE somewhere else, you autispic faggot.

>A flat TORTILLA
There's no other kind. If it was poofy it would be a gordita.

but it is mexican...

>You're getting BTFO
But you're just lying and calling me autistic though.