How did such a small country manage to get a hold of and maintain such a large amount of land?

How did such a small country manage to get a hold of and maintain such a large amount of land?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superpower
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

How did such a small virus manage to get a hold on and spread through such a large host?

Divine intervention

White privilege

Boats.

Perfidy, treachery, dishonourable intervention

Ruthlessness and diplomacy

The conquest of Ireland provided them the model for sea based empire, that and they were willing to colonize more marginal areas like Canada which greatly boosts their total mileage.

They were able to do it because god loves the british.

>cannons vs naked people with sticks

>claim empty lands

>muh largest empire

checked

>and maintain

Most of these lands were conquered after 1880 and gave up before 1965

In all seriousness, the insular nature of Britain is what helped them become and remain a superpower through the second millenium

>through the second millenium

But Britain was only a superpower (and even that is debatable) between 1860 and 1914

Except for india, britain had more population than all the natives of its colonies combined, so no, it wasnt a small country

and that's after ALL the emigration

>How did such a small country manage to get a hold of and maintain such a large amount of land?
Once they have more land, they cease being a "small country."

Money.

>But Britain was only a superpower (and even that is debatable) between 1860 and 1914

The actual term 'superpower' was first used during WW2 to refer directly to the USA, UK and USSR, all of whom were far more economically influential than any other nations had ever been, and were capable of massive global power projection (or in the USSR's case, just being fucking gigantic).

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superpower

The UK lost its superpower status in the post-war years between 1947 (Indian independence) and 1956 (Suez crisis).

Obviously the UK was the preeminent great power in the century preceding WW2, and could be described as a superpower in the lead-up to WW1 and the inter-war years.

they had a privileged starting point in their lonesome rock.

in my wet dreams i imagine perfidious albion connected with europe by an
isthmus

Who had more integrity than us? Who showed greater magnanimity? Look at the exile we gave Napoleon! Consider that we accepted his surrender again. Would he have done the same?

Literally the most compassionate world power in human history. Too compassionate.

I love that the lesser races must contrive these lies to compensate for their ancestral inadequacies.

kek, all horseshit though. I can tell form the devilish digits.

gun beats spear.

-First country to industrialise
-global financial centre
-powerful navy

Role-playing kills boards