WW2 /neutral/ thread?

WW2 /neutral/ thread?

Why did he stay out of the war? Wouldn't Turkey have reasons to lean toward the axis?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=E8raDPASvq0
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witold's_Report
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Also curious about why Ireland refused to help Britain.

because republicans would rather help literally Hitler than bow to the queen

Turkey did have reasons to lean towards the Axis, which is why they lent them money, gave them some primary resources, and allowed limited use of Turkish railways to supply small forces in Vichy Syria.

They were also scared shitless of the USSR, and had no wish to get in between a hatchet fight between them and Germany.

Open a book on Irish history. Any book. There's literally centuries of bad blood between Ireland and Britain.

>helping a country that tried to erase you, your culture, and keep you oppressed for several hundred years
>while being a neutral country
I want britbongs to leave

>Spend all of history being a complete cunt to you
>"wow brah why don't you help us?"

>Be oppressed, killed, raped, pillaged for centuries by the English
>Have a population of barely 2 million when WW2 breaks out
>Country only just achieved independence
>Former colonial master getting their shit kicked in by the Germans who sent you aid during the war of the independence needs your help
>refuse for obvious reasons
Really makes u go hmmmmmm...

Nice to see most of Veeky Forums actually knows about history.

>Also curious about why Ireland refused to help Britain.
Why on Earth would Ireland want to help Britain?

But the fight against Germany had moral implications too. It was a fight against fascism.

Couldn't Ireland have just gone with France or someone instead if they were so touchy about the British?
Was the risk of letting Hitler win and Fascism win worth not fighting alongside the British?

France and Britain get along fine and they had a past of fighting.

>muh moral implications
tell me about moral the Brits (you too Scotland, you, it wasn't just the english) in Ireland
>France and England get along fine and they had a past of fighting
except they never forced each other into the far reaches of their country then replaced them with colonisers

>It was a fight against fascism.
Why is Ireland obligated to fight against Fascism?
Mussolini never did anything to us. Hitler never did anything to us.

>France and Britain get along fine and they had a past of fighting.
I don't remember Britain occupying France for 800 years, subjugating their people, and killing millions

I get the idea of "sure, but the British were absolute scumbags to us. No moral grounds for them to stand on" but surely Ireland saw muh moral reasons to fight hitler?

Wasn't there a plan for Hitler to cuck Ireland? Didn't they-a nation newly formed on freedom-want to fight against fascism? With or without Britian?

1. its a neutral nation and has been since independance
2. it's war-making capability was negligible

You have to see that age through eyes of people of that time.
There was no evidence of what was going on during that time in eastern europe, liberal democracies were exceptions rather than rule east of france and ultra-nationalism wasnt abbhored as it is today

>But the fight against Germany had moral implications too. It was a fight against fascism.
There are serious moral implications to fighting alongside the British too. Nobody knew of Germany's crimes at the beginning of the war. Besides, there is little Ireland could have done realistically, besides aiding the British covertly which we did, and giving them our ports, which was honestly never going to happen because we'd probably never get them back/

>Couldn't Ireland have just gone with France or someone instead if they were so touchy about the British?
Well France collapsed pretty early but honestly you're kind of missing the point. Ireland was a new country with no method of self-defence to begin with. De Valera's priority was maintaining the existence of Ireland.

>France and Britain get along fine and they had a past of fighting.
Ireland and Britain get along well now too but back then was a different story.

I should probably say I'm neither anglo nor Irish and genuinely curious.

Most people I speak to about it treat the Irish with distaste for not even trying to stand up to Hitler.

Surely though, once the Republic was a thing, the atrocities Britain committed were less relevant since they were so long before it? Bygones and so on?

Wait, you're saying that De Valera for example had no clue about concentration camps/genocide and so on?
I'd have thought Hitler's approach to small nations would cscare Ireland.

Was Finland neutral or was the going to war with the soviets second time cause lost territory make you an axis member? They also signed the anti-cominterm pact. Thoughts?

youtube.com/watch?v=E8raDPASvq0

>Surely though, once the Republic was a thing, the atrocities Britain committed were less relevant since they were so long before it? Bygones and so on?
The thing is they weren't very long beforehand in Ireland, and they were ongoing in other parts of the empire.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witold's_Report

>Wait, you're saying that De Valera for example had no clue about concentration camps/genocide and so on?
Nobody did at the beginning of the war

>Hitler's approach to small nations would cscare Ireland.
Hitler's approach to small nations was the same as England's, except that Hitler was relatively far away and Britain was already on the Island.

From what I remember Mannerheim really didn't like Hitler but rather saw it as an opportunity to recover lost shit or maybe just get some revenge for being attacked.

Turkey wasn't completely neutral. It joined the Anti-Comintern pact, and negotiated to fight the USSR in exchange for territory, but that was foiled by the war going too bad too fast.
Also the Anglo-Soviet invasion into Iran locked them out of joining.

Was there any realistic chance of Spain officially joining the war? I've heard Franco intentionally made demands the he knew Hitler would refuse in order to join, but he strikes me as kind of an ass anyway.

Spain was on the brink of famine

Not without being forced into it. Spain was economically wrecked, exhausted from the civil war (and one of the relatively poorer European powers to start with), Franco's power base was pretty unstable and there were still bad memories and people who would like to make a round 2 of Spanish vs Spanish.

About the only "realistic" way I see Spain joining the war is if some of the more insane members of the American general staff get their way and attack Spanish morocco during Torch, but even that's pretty unlikely.