What are some little lessons in trickery that went down in history?

What are some little lessons in trickery that went down in history?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Constantinople_(717–718)
youtube.com/watch?v=tSIQvswk4sU
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Wuzhang_Plains
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juan_Pujol_García
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikolai_Ivanovich_Kuznetsov
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reinhard_Heydrich#Red_Army_purges
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_military_deception
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Yongqiu
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Mincemeat
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Cheeky Willy's pretend retreats at Hastings in 1066.

Emperor Leo at the Siege of Constantinople.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Constantinople_(717–718)

>tell the Arabs sieging the city to burn all their food so that he could convince the city that he should surrender
>the absolute madmen actually do it

The exactness of this information escapes me, but during WW1 someone pretended to be Ottomans by having their Navy personnel on some battleships wear fez hats and shit, then they attacked a harbor.

Hannibal's entire military campaign

>According to the Arab accounts, Leo continued to play a double game with the Arabs. One version claims that he tricked Maslama into handing over most of his grain supplies, while another claims that the Arab general was persuaded to burn them altogether, so as to show the inhabitants of the city that they faced an imminent assault and induce them to surrender.[37]
>The winter of 718 was extremely harsh; snow covered the ground for over three months. As the supplies in the Arab camp ran out, a terrible famine broke out: the soldiers ate their horses, camels, and other livestock, and the bark, leaves and roots of trees. They swept the snow of the fields they had sown to eat the green shoots, and reportedly resorted to cannibalism and eating their own excrement.
>Consequently, the Arab army was ravaged by epidemics; with great exaggeration, the Lombard historian Paul the Deacon put the number of their dead of hunger and disease at 300,000.[38]
what the fuck?

Operation Mincemeat was perhaps the most important ruse ever crafted in the history of western civilization, check it out

DEVLISH

If i remember right germans tricked the ottomans to join ww1 by bombing an ottoman harbor in russian colours.

Zhuge Liang's life consisted of him BTFO of every opponent he encountered
youtube.com/watch?v=tSIQvswk4sU

before he died he instructed his followers in how to use his cadaver to scare off enemy general Sima Yi

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Wuzhang_Plains

A dead Zhuge scares away a living Zhongda.

Just read a book about perfidious Albion.

Too soon

I ain't googling that shit whatever it is

People like to glaze over Hannibal slowly getting chewed up by Fabius, and it was only because the Romans were a bunch of Hot Heads that he wasn't pacified sooner. Granted, if they hadn't swapped out Fabius we wouldn't have gotten to see that fucking baller Scipio put Carthage in the dirt.

The basic outline is that, to protect the invasion of Sicily, the British took the body of a homeless man, constructed a entire fake identity for him (ie, photos of a girlfriend, letters from family, receipts) and left him on a Spanish beach with some secret documents. The Spaniards shared the documents with the Germans before returning them and this successfully tricked the Germans into thinking that the Allies were going to invade Greece instead of Italy.

>lol have some blankets

NOW LISTEN CLOSELY

Healthy people BTFO

>implying Caesar wasn't in on it from the start

Should be holding a net instead of a gun.

cool thanks for recounting the event. can't take any risks on this site when the word 'meat' is involved.....

>implying anyone ever listens to the guy suggesting delaying tactics

Juan Pujol Garcia.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juan_Pujol_García

Harald Hardrada broke a drive by faking his death, his generals convinced the city to raise the gate to bring the coffin in for services, once they were halfway through the gate, Haralds coffin was dropped, he jumped out of it, waved his men into the city, and the gate couldn't close. His forces streamed in and took the town.

He also broke a siege by having his birdcatchers catch birds flying out of the city, tying smoldering embers to their legs and sending them back. When the birds landed, their nests and the city's roofs caught on fire and the town was taken.

>broke a "siege"

>that whole article

holy fuck

amazing

>mfw there is actually a fairly decent chance that Admiral Canaris figured out the dude was lying the whole time and rolled with it to fuck over Hitler

>claiming to lack the "essential qualities of loyalty, generosity and honor"

>claiming that his alleged contact in Glasgow "would do anything for a litre of wine"

>They really believed he had a sub-sub-sub-sub-sub-sub-sub-sub-agent named Dorick

>he had one of his fake agents get sick and die to explain why he didn't know basic shit
>gets a paycheck out of it
That's fucking birlliant, this man deserves a statue

>just go prone and pretend to be an army

Nikolai Kuznetsov's activity in Ukraine during WWII, does it count?

I originally walked away from my computer thinking this shitpost would just 404 with one or two replies; I don't know the situation you're talking about but idc. It's probably tangentially related at least.

>he suppiled enigma
This guy's a fucking national hero, what a guy.

What utter cunts.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikolai_Ivanovich_Kuznetsov

Where are the tricks, son??

This is some fucking god tier level rusemanship. It's a crime I've never heard of this man before.

I read the exact same story (pretending to be dead, but it was Björn Ragnarsson that didn't when besieging Luni.

Björn Ragnarsson that *did it* when besieging luni, i mean.

>Kuznetsov was also the first intelligence agent to uncover German plans to launch a massive tank attack in the Kursk region, and information about German V-2 rockets, as well as about Operation Long Jump, Hitler's plan to assassinate the heads of the USSR, USA and Great Britain during the Tehran Conference.

hmmm
>There have been debates about the veracity of the story. The skeptics brought up a number of arguments in this regard. Firstly, the German espionage network in Iran had been destroyed in mid-1943, well before Tehran was chosen as a meeting place. Secondly, more than 3,000 NKVD security troops guarded the city for the duration of the conference without incident. Thirdly, both Roosevelt and Churchill travelled on foot or open jeep throughout their four-day stay in Tehran.

>Otto Skorzeny denied the story after the war. In his memoirs, he recalled a meeting with Hitler and SS-Brigadeführer Walter Schellenberg, from the foreign intelligence branch of the Sicherheitsdienst, when they did discuss the feasibility of assassinating Churchill. But Skorzeny said he told the Fuhrer the idea was unworkable and Hitler agreed with his assessment. Skorzeny wrote "Long Jump has really only existed in the imagination of a little bunch of truth-loving hacks [...]". He also castigated Russian sources for continually referring to Sturmbannführer Paul von Oertel, who Skorzeny said never existed.

Holy fuck I have a new hero.

>more perfidious than albion
how

>"Lol, hey, guys. Is it the fourteenth or the fiftee- HURK"

>get dragged into two world wars to honour agreements
>hurrrr perfidious anglos durrrrrrrrrr

I have no words

HOLY TIP TOP KEK

That was the Goeben pretending to be an "Ottoman" ship instead of just a German one. They weren't doing some false-flag attack; the Ottomans had already entered the war.

>Garbo told his German contacts that he was disgusted that his message was missed, saying "I cannot accept excuses or negligence. Were it not for my ideals I would abandon the work"
>claiming to lack the "essential qualities of loyalty, generosity and honor"

>Be USSR in 1939
>Shell your own towns on the border with Finland
>Claim the Finns did it
>Declare war

This is the first thread I've ever looked at on this board.

I'm changing my major to history now.

He even looked like a trickster.

The first story is from the last episodes side of the third season of Vikings, the second is from a flashback in the second season of Marco Polo (also infamous Veeky Forumswaifu Olga of Kiev). Are you trying to meme us or did he actually do this too?

This shit is why i love history

>got the germans to pay a pention to a nonexistant mans widow

No it isn't
No you're not

Back to r*ddit

Don't, you'll go hungry.
Become an electrician.

Absolutely kek

Here is a neat bit of rusing

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reinhard_Heydrich#Red_Army_purges

>In 1936, Heydrich learned that a top-ranking Soviet officer was plotting to overthrow Joseph Stalin. Sensing an opportunity to strike a blow at both the Soviet Army and Admiral Canaris of Germany's Abwehr, Heydrich decided that the Russian officers should be "unmasked".[68] He discussed the matter with Himmler and both in turn brought it to Hitler's attention. But the "information" Heydrich had received was actually misinformation planted by Stalin himself in an attempt to legitimise his planned purges of the Red Army's high command. Stalin ordered one of his best NKVD agents, General Nikolai Skoblin, to pass Heydrich false information suggesting that Marshal Mikhail Tukhachevsky and other Soviet generals were plotting against Stalin. Hitler approved Heydrich's plan to act on the information immediately.[69] Heydrich's SD forged documents and letters implicated Tukhachevsky and other Red Army commanders. The material was delivered to the NKVD.[68] The Great Purge of the Red Army followed on Stalin's orders. While Heydrich believed they had successfully deluded Stalin into executing or dismissing 35,000 of his officer corps, the importance of Heydrich's part is a matter of speculation and conjecture.[70] Soviet military prosecutors did not use the forged documents against the generals in their secret trial; they instead relied on false confessions extorted or beaten out of the defendants.

>Stalin wants to purge red army
>forges coup plot and gives it to nazis
>nazis give it back
>Stalin pretends to be shocked and purges
>It was a shitty move and worked out best for the nazis

TL;DR stalin rused himself

How come nobody has mentioned the most famous example of the Trojan horse?

TOP LEL

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_military_deception

literally the world's oldest ruse and a proper good one at that

>The Germans paid Garbo (or Arabel, as they called him) US$340,000 to support his network of agents, which at one point totaled 27 fabricated characters.

This wins the thread right here

>you will never be so dedicated to defeating a cause that you become a double agent against it of your own free will

just gonna end it now bros

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Yongqiu
>tl;dr An Lushan- a sogdian general of T'ang China- rebels and tries to be emperor.
>In Suiyang province, T'ang Commander Zhang Xun hears that An Lushans army will pass by his province. Quickly raises a miniscule army to defend it and wait for reinforcements. Problem: Rebels in his province already gathered a bigger army, under Linghu Chao.
>Seizes the fortress-city of Yongqiu under Linghu's nose, but gets surrounded instead.
The following events are now Chinese legend.
>Zhang Xu orders the drum signal for "attack" to be played for a period of days.
>Rebel troops rush out of siege lines to meet them, only to find out no attack sallied out each time it was played.
>Next time battle drums was played, they do nothing.
>Zhang Xun does however, and a raiding party sallies forth. Kills 5000 rebels and burns their shit before going back inside the city.
>One day in the siege, Zhang Xun's loyalists run out of arrows.
>Zhang Xun thinks: who has arrows? Oh yeah, that big army out there.
>Orders troops to fashion dummies dressed in black to stand on walls and ladders, mimicking a night raid party about to go down walls.
>Rebel troops panic and loose arrows at dummies.
>Zhang does this for a couple of more days, until the Rebs realized they were wasting arrows on dolls and told to cease firing at them.
>One night, real soldiers in black clambered down the walls and crept unto the unwary rebels.
>10,000 dead in night raid.
>Near the end of the siege, Zhang realizes he doesnt have much food & lumber left.
>Who has food & lumber? Enemy lyl.
>So Zhang Xun sets forth in a flag of truce.
>With a handy excuse, Zhang Xun says he's tired of holding the place. If the rebels could withdraw 30 miles from the city, he would leave them the fortress.
>Deal. They do so.
>The army retreats but the logistics guys are still packing up. The whole garrison sallies and seizes the food and lumber and goes back in.
>Rebels ragequit the place.

based

Now that's fucking good.

>people haven't heard of motherfucking Garbo

You've all been missing out. WW2 is the most interesting period for ruses.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Mincemeat

Holy fuck, this guy is THE master ruseman. He fooled BOTH sides and was awarded the Iron Cross and the Order of the British Empire for his efforts. And for a while he did it FOR FREE. jesus christ what a madman.

>His reports were intercepted via the Ultra programme, and seemed so credible that the British counter-intelligence service MI5 launched a full-scale spy hunt.
Despite him NOT EVEN BEING IN BRITAIN AT ALL

>The Allies finally accepted Pujol when the Germans spent considerable resources attempting to hunt down a fictional convoy.
SOMEBODY STOP HIM

>Pujol soon established himself as a trustworthy agent. He began inventing fictional sub-agents who could be blamed for false information and mistakes.
LOCK HIM UP

>Pujol was, on 29 July 1944, awarded the Iron Cross Second Class for his services to the German war effort. The award was normally reserved for front-line fighting men and required Hitler's personal authorisation
>Pujol received a reply stating "we are sorry they arrived too late but your last reports were magnificent"
>The Germans paid Garbo (or Arabel, as they called him) $340,000 to support his network of agents, which at one point totaled 27 fabricated characters.
THE ABSOLUTE MADMAN

EVEN AFTER THE WAR THE RUSEMAN HIMSELF DIDN'T STOP

>Fearing reprisal from surviving Nazis, Pujol travelled to Angola and faked his death from malaria in 1949. He then moved to Lagunillas, Venezuela, where he lived in (relative) anonymity running a bookstore and gift shop.

SOME SAY HE STILL LIVES TODAY, AND HIS SUPPOSED DEATH WAS JUST ANOTHER RUSE!

>Despite him NOT EVEN BEING IN BRITAIN AT ALL

Not only, that he had never even been to the UK.

Some say he played a ruse on the Reaper himself, the absolute ruseman!

Holy fuck look at this guy

Isn't there a legend other Nazis fled to South America too? Not the best destination to escape from them, then.

>Okay so it was actually the feels thread that was my first

Thanks for the advice senpai

Excellent

The Ems Telegram

SHOW THEM WILLY'S SHOW THEM WILLY'S.

OW MY I JUST LOVE TO WAGGLE THE GOOD OLD SPIFFY WILLY
IT SPURTS ALL THE WAY OUT OF MY CHEEKY WILLYNILLY, probably as I am so chuffed.
IT'S GOOEY, TASTES AND LOOKES LIKE PORRIDGE

RORKE'S DRIFT.
WATERLOO.
CHURCHILL
AND MY WILLY'S GOO

ALL A CONSEQUENCE OF ME WATCHING
MAPS OF THE BRITISH EMPIRE
WHAT AN ART!
MAKE MY ILLY SILLY WILLY-NILLY GO HARD

>Pujol died in Caracas in 1988 and is buried in Choroní, a town inside Henri Pittier National Park by the Caribbean Sea.
>Pujol
>died

We may never know.

Great thread, Veeky Forums often doesn't disappoint.

>he wasn't even in Britain
>had never even been there

Peter denying jesus 3 times

kek

El Cid Campeador.

Nobleman and cavalier of the King of Castiglia during the X century, he was fighting the Arabs with lot of success. He was brave and feared by his enemies.
During the siege of Valencia (by the Arabs), he got killed by an arrow in the battlefield, so the spanish army didn't have a chief anymore.
The day after his men put the dead body back on the horse (fixed it), then the dead Cid led a charge outside the city and the Arabs freaked out.
The christians won the battle.

We need a movie about this guy.

Nah, most of them fled to Argentina, Uruguay and southern Brazil.
Reason? Probably because it's really unimportant, they would have some political backing in one way or another, and there were sizeable german and italian populations in the region.
Hell they'd even have a lot of sympathisers going by what my father told me the place was like.

I could actually imagine robbie doing this, too

>mfw I keep on reading this article

This motherfucker is still probably rusing people.

>erazem predjamski
>bitching castle in a cave
>pisses off Austria
>they siege his shit
>the fucker knows the caves
>gets food from the other side of the mountain
>throws the invaders cherries and roasted bull
National hero that one

>had a sub-agent that was a "welsh fascist"
you literally cannot make that shit up, what a madman

>Persuaded the Germans to pay the pension of an imaginary widow for his imaginary agent
Oh my god, that's amazing

Legend says he faked his death so convincingly that Satan himself didn't see through his ruse and he still walks among us to this day.

Sounds like

After reading this I now have no idea how people can still think that the Nazis 'could have won'

Reminder that Hitler thought it was a good idea to invade England using river barges (bonus points to anyone who can tell me how many of the barges would have actually had engines)