Plumbers in very high demand in Ontario Canada

>Plumbers in very high demand in Ontario Canada
>Considering becoming one

Redpill me on the trades, particularly plumbing Veeky Forums.

are you passionate about shit?

Do it if you're a brainlet

Being a plumber is a respectable job you asshole. Someone has to fix my shitter if I let too big of a wild hog loose.

money is the name of the game, do what you must

I do it in the gta as a fourth year apprentice. Hi-rise construction guarantees you a job if you're a good worker who is willing to learn and be punctual/professional. Going to sleep soon, but what do you need to know?

A person in highschool who was an aspiring plumber told me that there are three things to know about plumbing.

1) that shit stinks
2) you cant send water up a hill
3) pay day is thursday

2 was wrong and 3 relative.

1 is the most important one, and when shit is going down a mans driveway you better know it he will pay a high price to have the problem fixed.

gta online?

I work as a plumber in Vancouver. Mainly high rise construction. If you want to go far, join a union over in Toronto. I'm pretty sure they are being paid around $41-42 per hour.

The real money comes in with side jobs though. I only do hot water tanks. Two hour job, $1300 profit in cash. They're easy and clean work. Hopefully this helps, you also get a wicked pension when you retire.

Good luck user.

K i'll keep the thread open for tomorrow but I need to pass out because plumbing is hard work and mornings, so i'm tired. Pay in my union is percentage based off hi-rise journeyman rate which is roughly 52.40/hour right now. There are five years and they are paid 40, 50, 60, 70, 85% of journeyman rate. Three terms of school two months a piece, and a cfq exam at the end of your time as an apprentice. You can do high-rise, housing, service, shop, or commercial /industrial work. Commercial is the cushiest but by far the least job stability. if you have thick skin and a desire to make something of yourself then hi-rise is the best. High pay rate and you learn many skills both in and outside of your trade. The weather is almost never pleasant though

Tell me more about it please. How do I get started finding an apprenticeship?

Yeah the side job thing I've heard is insane.

Plumbers,making $600 for 5 hours of work...

Apply to the ua union. If in gta it's local 46. Plumber, fitter, or welder. In the meantime apply for non-union work due to how difficult it is getting in the union without connections. I had military experience which got me in due to government programs. Non-union doesn't pay as well and it sucks mote, but they log your hours and may actually count your overtime. Each year is 1800 hours. Sorry for my many typos, trying to cram in as much info as possible before sleeping

K leave any more questions you may have, will answer tomorrow

Yes I'm in the gta. I'm working a minwagecuck job so I was actually considering joining the Canadian forces reserves or something so I could start doing something with my life.

I keep hearing it's near impossible to make it in the trades without connections is that true. Does the college meme even help find one

Okay thank you gn I gotta sleep too

Bump

Plumbing is a shit trade instal some hvac

lol

ya a robot in

I've only met one plumber who did any plumbing related schooling before he started working. I doubt it helps because he had a connection as well. That doesn't mean it's impossible, especially for non-union work. The best plumber I know worked non-union for a few years until he got in. The reserves is a great way to earn extra cash and build work ethic. I've been doing that for 10 years, but it's very difficult to juggle that with a trades job. I'd still recommend it for anybody who isn't afraid to work their ass off and reap the benefits that brings

Shit. So what's the way to break in? Do you just need connections because no one is going to take on someone and pay to teach them?

big lol @ all these numales who think robots will replace all trades
its like they have zero work experience within trades

There are plenty of people who got in by just applying to the union every time there's an intake. They read your resumé and make you write a test that only counts a little bit. If they see you've done non union plumbing work (which doesn't require the same connections), or have military experience then you're much more likely to get in. That being said, apply, apply, apply. Some people get in the union right away, some need three years of applications. Either way it's worth it for the pay, benefits, and the fact that they find jobs for you if you're out of work

Yeah, it's just not going to happen. It's too complex

How much do plumbers earn in Canada? How long does it take for a plumber to save up for a house?

Respectable job but expect to be surrounded by idiots. I tired getting my electrical ticket and after 2 years I gave it up. You have to interact with idiots on a daily basis.

Blue collar = blue pilled.

Enjoy making 60K max for the rest of your life unless you have connections.

Should I apply even with no experience then?

How does the non union plumbing work happen?

Of course you should apply. Not applying is a defeatist thing to do and may set you back an opportunity. Just google plumbing companies in your area. I even know guys who showed up to a union company's shop with a resumé and got fast-tracked into the union. Look up local 46 contractors and try that perhaps
In the Toronto union we make 100/year after a 5 year break-in period. That's without over time

>In the Toronto union we make 100/year after a 5 year break-in period.
How long would it take to save up for a house with a salary like that?

I'm a master plumber in the Houston, Texas area. I've been in this trade for ten years now, and I turn 30 this August. Plumbing is a good trade and skill to have. I specialize in Residential service work. My biggest complaint is the working conditions during summer. It's close to 100 degrees Fahrenheit a good 3-4 months out of the year and you sweat your ass off when replacing water heaters in the attic or repiping a home.

The pay down here is no where close to that of Canada. I'm non union. There are benefits and drawbacks to both sides of union and non union. My biggest problem with many non union shops is that they dick you over by making you a parts delivery/water heater helper monkey for a year and a half before they encourage you to start training to go for your Tradesman license. Texas is the only state that has such a thing. It's essentially a watered down journeyman license that you can get that allows you to work on residential only homes with minor restrictions by yourself.

My thoughts now... I'm happy I picked this trade. I'm starting my own company in November and I've sought out enough education to learn what I need to charge hourly in order to be profitable. This can be a very stressful job when working service because of forced overtime and on call emergency service. I would be very unhappy working for someone else the rest of my life. I plan to grow to 5 trucks and focus on the office side of things.

I wouldn't put my trust in a union pension though. Houston and Dallas both have extreme mismanagement problems with the fire and police pensions. I couldn't trust that a government would safely keep the money I pay for retirement safe for 30-40 years.

>be a plumber for 5 years
>make enough to get a real education
>use that education to get a good career

there's such thing as doing things in moderation biz

Okay ill try senpai.

How the fuck does plumbing pay so well tho

They really aren't it's a just another meme.

It's taken me three years of it to start bidding on a house. I did this with much lower than 100k/year due to still being an apprentice. The first year I was a dumbass with my money though. If you make it to journeyman and you don't have the funds to buy a house you've really fucked up

People are scared to do it and there are a lot of kids who start the job but aren't cut out to work for a living because of lack of determination

>TFW my dad is a master plumber in the US
>Always worked for small outfits where Mr.Goldberg always screwed him over
>Quits because he hates seeing how much he charges and to him it's easy and cheap simple stuff
>Works low level government job for the rest of his career
>Growing up, dad did side jobs...at cost

Goddamn reading about the rest of the plumbers and the rest of the trade industry makes me depressed. Why was he such a cuck?

So how did you find your apprenticeship? Applied to union and that's it?

One of the biggest problems in the trades now is getting the workers to understand that they're a salesman first and a worker second when they work for a private company. Many workers have the mentality that they are charging exorbitant amounts of money for a simple fix and feel like they are scamming homeowners.

As I'm going into business for myself pretty soon, I've read enough books specific to my industry that shows why you have to charge so much, even as a one man shop. There's no point to starting a company to make the same or less than what you have the potential to make working for someone else. That's why there is such a high failure rate when guys go into business for themselves and charge slightly less the hourly charge of local competition.

For everything you put your body through, the time away from family, the working conditions and chemicals that plumbers work with, I'm amazed that there are still shops out there that don't even offer healthcare and pay less than $20 for a licensed journeyman. I think it boils down to some people just not realizing what they're worth and what they can charge.

my bestfriends parents were plumbers and ownded there own plumbing business they made more then my parents who were a stock broker and a teacher however they worked alot harder then my parents did

Yup I applied into the union and was on the job in three months. Google ua local 46 and start from there

My great-grandfather was a plumber. When I asked him how the family did through the Great Depression, he told me that they never really noticed much was wrong. Even poor, broke people don't want shit backing up in their homes.