Did archaeologists find anything in these sunken lands?

Did archaeologists find anything in these sunken lands?

Other urls found in this thread:

ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2012/12/doggerland/spinney-text
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Trawlers have been bringing back bits and pieces from the Dogger Bank/Doggerland. Animal/human remains, plant matter, basic bone/stone tools like arrowheads and so forth.

ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2012/12/doggerland/spinney-text
>The evidence started to surface a century and a half ago, when fishermen along the Dutch coast widely adopted a technique called beam trawling. They dragged weighted nets across the seafloor and hoisted them up full of sole, plaice, and other bottom fish. But sometimes an enormous tusk would spill out and clatter onto the deck, or the remains of an aurochs, woolly rhino, or other extinct beast. The fishermen were disturbed by these hints that things were not always as they are. What they could not explain, they threw back into the sea.

>Generations later a resourceful amateur paleontologist named Dick Mol persuaded the fishermen to bring him the bones and note the coordinates of where they had found them. In 1985 one captain brought Mol a beautifully preserved human jawbone, complete with worn molars. With his friend, fellow amateur Jan Glimmerveen, Mol had the bone radiocarbon-dated. It turned out to be 9,500 years old, meaning the individual lived during the Mesolithic period, which in northern Europe began at the end of the last ice age some 12,000 years ago and lasted until the advent of farming 6,000 years later. “We think it comes from a burial,” says Glimmerveen. “One that has lain undisturbed since that world vanished beneath the waves, about 8,000 years ago.”

>remains of an aurochs, woolly rhino, or other extinct beast

Thanks for this, that sounds absolutely amazing. Wonder what it felt like to make that discovery.... that's like some from a Lovecraft story, to say the least.

HOLY SHIT!! If the land was still like this today, Britain would be OBLITERATED by the Nazis...Or the French

The Hyperboreans are there.

According to Stephen Oppenheimer the English language has been spoken in Britain since Doggerland

What exactly made it so that this is the first thing you thought of?

AYO
>SMACKS LIPS
YO BE TELLIN WE WUZ KANGS N SHYET

WE WUZ DOGGOS N SHIET

Stay mad

English wasn't even a fucking language then. let alone any languages today.

If the land was still like this today the world would have turned out completely differently and no ancient cultures would have come to exist as they did in our timeline.

This is Er Lannic.

It is an island right off the coast of Brittany.

Brittany is covered in megalithic stone circles.

The one on Er Lannic is so old that the half of the circle is still in Doggerland.

What could they possibly find there that would be interesting? Realistically speaking nothing.

I wonder if it would be feasible to dam this shit to reclaim the land. It would be Atlantropa-tier lunacy and cost billions for sure but this land looks just as juicy and valuable.

You're talking 25 to 200 meters of depth here. Even assuming that the sheer quantity of water is no issue, how the fuck do you build and maintain levees of that size at that length?

Brits obsess over some Doggerland mud eaters because of a desire to have roots in their home region.
Contemporary archeological cultures in Eastern Europe are not only more interesting but also more relevant for the origin of contemporary Western European populations.

>Not wanting this

Yeah you are right making it from concrete is out of question.. But who knows, maybe in the far future when climate change starts to bully europe futuristic solutions for underwater construction may be found, genetically engineered corals or bacteriastructures that grow rapidly around cheap skeletons sunk into the water or whatever people might cook up.

At least damming the baltic would be feasible today I believe, as it is a shallow sea and the only one that is drinkable due to streams outdoing the incoming saltwater of the northsea it might even become a gargantuan freshwater reserve if dammed of the saltsea which would be a precious asset.

Coral- or bacteria-based structures are a pretty nice idea.

>implying britain would ever accept not being an island anymore

What makes you so sure of yourself?

I don't know why I find this funny

>At least damming the baltic would be feasible today I believe, as it is a shallow sea and the only one that is drinkable due to streams outdoing the incoming saltwater of the northsea it might even become a gargantuan freshwater reserve if dammed of the saltsea which would be a precious asset.
Scandinavia is slowly rising ever since the end of the Ice Age. Sooner or later Baltic would get isolated.
Keeping it clean would be the hard part.

>Fuck it why don't we just shove the biggest dick into a heckton of European ecosystems cuz a really old swamp seems cool

I like the way you think fampai

Did the coastline differ significantly in any other parts of the world this recently? China? I know Japan was connected to the mainland, but other than that it would be interesting to see a timeline of the coastlines of the continents.

if you can keep Lake superiour clean then keeping the baltic clean shouldnt be such a big problem as long as you dont go full retard and pour oil in or something like that. (Which fuck it up even if it were still like before...)

Malaysia was part of a landbridge to Australia.

One river used to supply the

>Thames

>Seine

>Rhine

Is this the most important river ever?

If this thing was around today that river would be the most fought over shit in Europe.

I don't think you understand how rivers work

I used the wrong word in supply sorry for disappointing you.

>how the fuck do you build and maintain levees of that size at that length?
You call the Dutch

This guy gets it

>doggoland is gone

This is honestly the most interesting post i have seen in his board.

You got called out for being stupid. Suck it up, don't be a passive-aggressive bitchboy

Ah yes Dogger Bank, I used to go there for dogging sessions with the Mrs.

>dogging
l-lewd