Nikola Tesla

Hello Veeky Forums. I normally post on /k/ but I thought this question maybe belonged here.

I've always been fascinated by this guy. Does this board have an opinion?

Also he claimed at one point he could harness electricity directly from the Earth. Is that even possible?

>Nikola Tesla was a Serbian-American inventor, electrical engineer, mechanical engineer, physicist, and futurist best known for his contributions to the design of the modern alternating current electricity supply system.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_Currents)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wardenclyffe_Tower),
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I'm gonna watch this thread too

>Nikola Tesla was a Serbian-American inventor
But that's Mikołaj Teslowski polish inventor of winged hussars and pope

Tesla was based and got jewed over hard by Edison.

Stealing cars and history i see, his name was actually Niklas Teslaström, swedish inventor of Swedish Deluge and Falu red

OP, lurking.

First you guys steal our vikings, and now this?
Don't be fooled OP, his name is actually Nikolaj Teslensen, and he is the Danish inventor of Lego and The Little Mermaid

For a long time, Nikola Tesla was overshadowed in the public eye by Thomas Edison as the "father of electricity". Thomas Edison was seen as THE electricity guy, single-handedly inventing the light bulb and ushering in a new age and an energy revolution.

Now, however, with the rise of the internet and changes in popular culture, Edison is scorned as a greedy businessman, all of whose inventions are ripoffs of Tesla's, while Tesla is an omniscient genius with a perfect memory that can harness the power of lightning as if he were Thor.

As is often the case when it comes to history, the truth lies somewhere between the extremes of public perception.

Edison may have competed fiercely with Tesla (and others) over the electricity market (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_Currents) but he was also a legitimate inventor and held a number of useful patents in the field of electric and electromechanical engineering. He was not simply a greedy businessman, although he WAS the owner of the company that would grow to become General Electric, and invested in a great many projects which would later boost his wealth.

A perfect example of how he was both a scientist AND a businessman is his research related to rubber:

>Edison became concerned with America's reliance on foreign supply of rubber and was determined to find a native supply of rubber. He partnered with Harvey Firestone and Henry Ford (all three contributing $25,000 each) to create the Edison Botanic Research Corp.
Ah, so he just ponied up the money while the scientists did the real work! Typical-

>Edison did the majority of the research and planting, sending results and sample rubber residues to his West Orange Lab. Edison employed a two-part Acid-base extraction, to derive latex from the plant material after it was dried and crushed to a powder. After testing 17,000 plant samples, he eventually found an adequate source in the Goldenrod plant.
o-oh...

On Tesla: He was a very brilliant and gifted individual, that much is clear. He did invent or contribute to the invention of numerous important things that allow our current energy grid to exist. Such basic things as alternating current, remote radio controlled machines, and geothermal power were pioneered to some degree by Tesla.

However, he is often credited with inventions he did not create. Searching for what Tesla actually DID invent is often a minefield of conspiracy garbage, nationalistic showboating, and urban legends. Tesla did NOT single-handedly invent AC, or the transformer, or the induction coil, nor did he invent the loudspeaker or RADAR.

Furthermore, he was not without his faults. He was notoriously bad at managing money, and as money is required to fund any kind of research, it's a wonder he got anything done at all. He famously was given a loan by J.P. Morgan to construct a wireless power transmission tower (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wardenclyffe_Tower), and blew through the money very quickly. He then went back to Morgan and asked for more money, to which Morgan asked in return where the original money had gone. Tesla proceeded to blame J.P. Morgan for playing a part in the Panic of 1901 (in effect biting the hand that fed him), then asked him again for more money. Needless to say, Tesla never got that cash - and the tower never became operational.

The "Tesla vs. Edison" story that most people understand the War of Currents through nowadays is a very nice, easy, entertaining story to digest. It has an poor underdog hero, it has a big bad villain with lots of money, and it breaks down very complex decade-long processes involving numerous minor actors into a simple-minded puppet show that doesn't require a lot of effort to understand.

And that's fine for most. The current war is basically trivia at this point. But for those who want to know what really happened, you need to research, and understand that history is complicated.

Reminder that the only thing Serbs can feel proud about regarding Tesla is having such a shitty country their own great scientist ditched it as soon as he could.

probably more a question for Veeky Forums tbqh

So how many Edison Lightbulbs can you fight in your ass at once?

He was ingenious. But also insane.
>tfw that faggot Edison destroyed both Tesla and Maxim because shekels

Also
>Serbian-American
He was both Serbian and Croatian (orthodox Serbian family that lived in Croatia) in his own words. He was not American by any margin. First you destroy him, and then you claim him. Fucking Americans, I swear.

Nicolas Taisselat was a proud frenchman.

French lies
Nikolaus Tessler was famous German scientist.

>Niklóz Teslac
>not a Hungarian genius

His name is Nick Tessle, and he was a true red-blooded American who loved baseball and mom's apple pie.

An interesting character but unfortunately worshipped by the kinds of people that self-label as geeks.

I'm getting replies and this guy actually existed and is responsible for modern electricity. Don't see how that's science fiction. Kind of important history.

You mean Nikolas Tesele, the famous Turkish window cleaner, right guts?

No, filthy Turkroach. Nikolai Telsakov was famous vodka and Kalashnikov inventor from mother Russia.

Nick Teslington was British you semen slurping shit sniffer.
Fuck off commie shit

Moving to America makes him American, to a small degree.

Veeky Forums is the actual science board, sci-fi falls into Veeky Forums, with fantasy.

Oh. OK don't cross board much.

Best books on Tesla and the electrical arms race?

I love this

>thread devolves into memeing

It might have been funny if I hadn't read at least two hundred threads like these on /int/.

Rule of thumb, don't even ask about him.

He was a beta cuck who espoused slave morality

Nikola Tesla was unironically virgin until death. He fell in love with a pigeon. He once said: "as long as she is alive, Ill have the will to live", referring to the pigeon

My grampa got that exact same moustache

Sexy.

That didn't stop Croats from killing all the Serbs in his village in WW2

is this a meme

He was also like 6'2" and 140 pounds, until his later years when he began to dine exclusively on milk, vodka, and saltine crackers, and died soon after.

Yeah, it's mocking Croats and Serbs.

You mean Niek Tessels right? The famous Dutch inventor of the windmill and weed.

He's fins. He did a lot of important early work on electricity and spent a lot of time on the equivalent of novelty toys. And he was just as much a shameless showboat as Edison.

Tremendously overrated minor 19th century inventor/crackpot. Primary cause of modern e-fame is his immense autism. Nowadays, if you're autistic but functional in spite of it, you bust be UBER EPIC BRILLIANT, as opposed to just being a sperg.

Let me put it this way. When Einstein first came out with general relativity, Tesla didn't believe it. Fair enough, quite a few other guys didn't at first. Tesla, however, believed that a better explanation for the odd orbital motions of Mercury that started the whole chain of reasoning was

>Aliens are using force-fields to move the planet around.

He was a lunatic that happened to get lucky with his AC system, and little more.

You're surely all talking about Nick Thompson right, the famous American inventor?

The very same who invented the Thompson submachine gun?

Lurkmoar faggot

He was brilliant, he just made the classic blunder of assuming that brilliance in one matter translates to brilliance in others.

You mean Nikorasu Tasalazuki, the venerable Japanese inventor of body pillows and tentacle hentai.

Edison>Tesla. Tesla gets all of the fedora support because of this dumb idea that he got ripped off and that Edison didn't actually invent anything. Edison was the superior inventor in terms of improving people's daily lives, in fact, he might be the greatest of all time in terms of that. Tesla may have been smarter and invented a few things that were more complex than Edison but he was also a complete nutjob and some of his ambitions (like free energy) we know now are impossible.

Tesla was kind of dumb. A fantastic engineer, but a dumb one.

Nioclás Testian was a proud Irishman and inventor of dying from the potato farce

It's quite weird to see a thread in Veeky Forums about an obscure Irish inventor like Nioclás Ó Theasléach

yeah basically this. thanks. didn't know about the rubber

The eternal Mick ones again claims for their own a proud son of Scotland like Nicols MacTesloch

Jesus stop reading Nietzsche you edgy 14 yo

Nice to see Nguyễn Tế Lam, a legendary Vietcong who has over 300 confirmed kills on this Fingol throat singing board

I'm loving this Tesla country shitposting.

>implying /pol/acks actually read Nietzsche and not just his wikipedia page

OP, lurking again.

I know of him. Famous Atheist and usually pessimestic

>usually pessimestic
Nietzsche despised pessimism.