How do vegans and other animal rights people view insects?

How do vegans and other animal rights people view insects?

Some gross, some cool some kind of pretty.

Depends on the vegan. Most seem to prefer not harming them unless necessary. I know generally they are against eating honey. My sister lived in a vegan co-op for a while and at one point there was a flea infestation and a lot of them were arguing to not hurt the fleas but eventually they voted to kill the fleas.

If they were real vegans, they should've stuck to their beliefs and allowed themselves to live a little less comfortably thanks to the fleas.

OK. I'll tell my sister you said that.

Whats wrong woth eating honey

whats wrong with harming insects?
They have no feelings or emotions, they are just biological robots that move in random pattern and react to food and threat

According to vegans it exploits and hurts bees.

they dont move randomly, eusocial insects often use pheromones to communicate and mark potential resorses

they move randomly until they hit a peromon scent that triggers a reaction

They dont just move randomly. They use their senses, such as sight and touch, like vertebrates.

they are not able to plan or remember like mammals, for example.
They just move in semi-random patterns until they see either prey or a predator and react accordingly

You are giving them more credit than they are worth. They really are little robots, their nervous system is too basic. Not even close to vertebrates.
You are mistaking apparent social behaviour for intelligence. Some insects have evolved to operate in hives and colonies with several castes and a queen but that doesn't show organization. They are just born hardwired to do a job.
>sight
I wouldn't call 2D vision and light-dark vision good sight.

I'm not a vegan, even though I know it would be more healthy to have a 80% vegan/20% meat diet. We really should eat insects more. You like crab, lobster, shrimp? You like eating insects. They have far more protein in them than other land creatures and the acreage and food requirements to maintain an enormous insect farm is orders of magnitudes less than that to maintain chickens, much less cattle.

What about funguses? Are they not animal enough for vegans to not care about them?

They're not animal at all, they're fungi

What a joke. Bees wouldn't even exist if human wasn't breeed them out of ants to use their milk.

> You like crab, lobster, shrimp?
Disgusting.

>only animals matter

wew lad what kind of shitlord are you?

How the hell did you get that from my post? I was just saying that fungi weren't animals.

>My sister lived in a vegan co-op for a while and at one point there was a flea infestation and a lot of them were arguing to not hurt the fleas but eventually they voted to kill the fleas.

Wish leftards would come to the same conclusion about our current muslim infestation in the West

assuming there are no major ecological issues, I would absolutely support the farming of crickets for human consumption. good luck getting the public to eat bugs, though.

The advantages would be great.
>easy to farm
>easy to store
>abundant
>nutritious
>cost efficient
Bugs are the way to cost effective easily accessible nutrition.

What the fuck mate
We're the number one reason they're fucked over

Strict vegetarian for 15 years here.

There are philosophical reasons why you may be okay with harming insects but not animals.

One argument is that we don't know whether insects suffer the way animals do. Presumably that means if we're shown scientific evidence that they suffer- we're morally obligated to treat them as moral patients the same way we do animals.

Another argument is that we ought to cause as little harm to ecosystems as possible. Insects, when not a foreign invasive pest, are part of an integral cycle of life that we ought not disturb. Here there are things that can go wrong- human intervention (killing, culling, destroying invasive species) can do more good to protect ecosystems than say a strategy that merely tries to reduce suffering. You can be vegan and hold this view- so long as you think certain animal agricultural practices are more harmful to the environment than non-animal agriculture. This approach doesn't rule out eating animals grown in harmony with nature- but maybe it doesn't require eating meat. The hard case is whether local organic meat can be better for the environment than big agra with acres of monoculture roundup ready corn and soy genetically altered to survive the poison roundup.

I think vegans have a case for eating insects. There's a lot of conditions though. I don't eat them because the idea is gross. However, there might be a greater good achieved in helping the insect protein industry get up and going in the U.S.- if it meant the population relied less on the meat industry for protein.- this is all assuming insect protein can be manufactured with fewer environmental costs (less water used, less electricity used, less land used, fewer harmful emissions...etc)

I'm not giving them too much credit you ass. I just said they have directed movement towards or away from stimuli (taxis) which is not the same as random movement in response to changes in humidity like what a worm would do (kinesis).

>I wouldn't call it good vision

I didn't call it good vision, I just said they use their senses to do directed movement. Stop putting words in my mouth you colossal faggot. Eat shit.

Vegan here. If I find an insect in my house I wrap it up in toilet paper and take it outside. If it's a wasp or something getting in my food I'll kill it. I usually feel bad about this, but in the end value my comfort and health over the lives of a few flies and wasps.

I don't eat honey. People always tell me "ah but the bee population would fall drastically if we stopped beekeeping." To me, the ecological benefits of the bee aren't a major concern, my concern is that the single life of each bee shouldn't be exploited.

I also realize that bees are purchased and used by farmers to pollinate their fruits, it's not like they just have local bees come in and pollinate... so really all the fruit I eat supports the exploitation of bees anyway.

I understand that insects probably don't suffer, but to me veganism is more about doing what makes me feel better, rather than doing something that will actually have an effect (I'm jaded w/r/t climate change policy, GMO patent exploitation, etc.).

> doesnt want to exploit bees but is fine with enslaving poor electrons to carry his messages for him
Fuck off fascist

>Not having a proper labour union agreement with your computer
shaking my head family

Vegetarian here. I wouldn't eat them because I still consider them meat, but when they splatter on my windshield I know it can't really be helped. I guess I'm only okay with accidentally killing bugs, or killing bugs in self defense.

It's so annoying that veganism is associated with leftists, as if politically leftward inclined people have a monopoly on empathy, and not wanting to cause more damage and suffering than necessary to our fellow animals.
Adolf didn't die for this shit. (yes, I'm aware that Hitler wasn't exactly a right-winger)

>fungi collapse
>oh my god
>are we killing all the fungi too
>look it up
Thanks for needlessly tripping my anxiety.

>so really all the fruit I eat supports the exploitation of bees anyway.
In for a dime, in for a dozen, eat fucking honey.

Collage user, collage

I'm a vegan, my view is to avoid harming them unless it's negatively affecting me. If a mosquito bites me I'll kill it, if there's a hornet nest under my deck, I get rid of it. But if there's a house fly or spider or something in my room, I do my best to relocate it outside.

I also avoid honey, I'm still not entirely sure about the morality of taking honey from bees (supposedly the honey business helps keep the bee population up and therefore positively affects the ecosystem or something), but I've never really been a fan of honey anyway so I don't bother with it

You're a fucking retard my man.

I get cows and chickens being imprisoned and suffering, and I even get that insects maybe capable of suffering (they use the same neurochemical process to detect damage, ie. pain, that we do afterall...)

But honeybees on bee farms have got to be the "happiest" bees on the planet. They've got the most optimal habitat possible, an unlimited food surplus nearby, and a hive protected against predators, including both the wasps that come in and wreak havoc, and the bears, badgers, and various other critters that'd normally just destroy the hive to get the honey. They even have some protection against the various diseases and fungi that often affect hives in the wild.

They aren't tied up, fenced in, drugged, or being made to or prevented from doing anything they'd do in the wild - it's win win.

Once in awhile a guy comes in and makes them delirious with smoke, but he never takes so much honey that it'd endanger the hive, with the huge surplus they have, and he doesn't wreck the hive in the process.

And, ecologically speaking, they do a hell of a lot less damage that sugar cane farms.

Given the alternative lifestyle of wild honeybees, if they were conscious enough to make the choice, I don't see any reason they wouldn't be all for it.

Granted, they might have something to say about the GMO crops that caused all those hive deaths awhile back, but that's an unintentional consequence of an unrelated industry that affected the wild bees as well.

lol. Honey is literally bee vomit of partially digested nectar and polysacharides. I don't think we are exploitiing them for such an unlimited food source. In that case, we are exploiting plants from their seeds to make more of of itself when we eat their fruits without spitting their seeds on the ground for them.

Jainists strain their broth so that they don't accidentally ingest an insect.

I like jains that walk around and broom little beetles out of their way.

Do you feel bad when you hit a little buzzy bee with your car while driving? Should we? Should I stop driving because it kills dozens of insects per trip? Why save one bug with toilet paper and send it outside if it may get killed by a predator. The second you touch a bug you're now in charge of its life.

Why stay dry when you can learn to love the rain?

Vegan here, this is retarded. Our motto is "Do not harm unless you are harmed". It mean I won't kill a lion for nothing but if this lion attack me, I have obviously the right to defend myself, even if this mean I have to kill the lion. If a flea is trying to parasite me, i'll kill the shit out of it.

Most bugs can't hurt you. What do you do if there is a cockroach, ants or a spider in your house?

>my concern is that the single life of each bee shouldn't be exploited

>Uses Foxxconn products

He's using a wi-fi enabled mechanical typewriter.

>Not only taking stuff other people would throw anyway
shiggidy diggidy

Jainists are based. Unfortunately our endless influx of immigration is of islamists, and not Jainists, or some other such somewhat sensible people. I like Jainists, and Seventh Day Adventists.

8/10 bait

Lmao fucking pussy

A lot of bugs are adapted to living inside and will die if you put it outside, shitlord

>Vegan here, this is retarded. Our motto is "Do not harm unless you are harmed".
I love how hedonists try to be nice, just to turn into normies once it comes to their fantasy of survival.

>Killing Fleas = Killing Real humans

Your mind on /pol/.