Engineer growing tired of web engineers

I've been working as a web developer for about three years now. I'm still learning the ropes and try to stay humble, especially given how little I use Ruby and Python. I need to get some more projects under my belt to start applying for senior-level positions.

That being said, I'm starting to truly hate the norms surrounding the field. I don't like seeing a bunch of soft-bearded limp-wrists using meeting time to discuss "lazer awesome" coffee places. I do not think conventions need to be particularly welcoming to any group, they're there for vendors to shill their wares and glean a few notes and errata in panels. I am probably going to flip my fucking desk if I hear one more person try to explain how Yarn is clearly superior to NPM when the project manager hasn't cleared us to use either.

And, fuck's sake, if I hear the "vim vs nano" argument one more time --

TL;DR - how can I proceed in this field without murdering everyone around me?

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/beerops
twitter.com/AnonBabble

No clue. The entire industry disgusts me.

I've been working from home for the past couple of years and avoided all that 4 days a week. Starting a new job tomorrow and will be in the office again, hoping it won't be so bad. You can just ignore it though I reckon. Keep your head down and simply don't engage in those shitty conversations.

The fact that you all call yourselves "engineers" is utterly disgusting.

xanax

Welcome to Veeky Forums
How is that related to cryptocurrencies and blochain technologies?

Nice blog post tho.

Freelancing or learn mandarin and go work in a startup in Hong Kong.
I'm an undergrad in software engineering and I fucking despise 99% of the people around me, somehow the field attracts the worst kind of people, they all are completely abhorrent cringey and one dimensional manchildren, An yeah, last part was semi ironic, maybe spending some time in a different environment might change your view on your career.

This is about negotiating and surviving in a given business. I'd post it in /g/ but it's true Veeky Forums can also capture IT or ancillary staff who deal with clowns like this on a regular basis.

Believe me, if I could list "programmer" on my resume without kneecapping my chances in hiring decisions, I would. Quite a few in the office can barely run a JS linter and get it compiled. That's not engineering, it's gliding on angel funding.

if i made apps on google play and made like 200 dollars off of it and maybe like 18 bucks a week. is my title a developer?

*self maintained hobbyist

vim is literally better than nano

This. As a software developer I'm deeply ashamed of my """colleagues""".

Wait what? You aren't an engineer.

why would you want to proceed further in web dev, do you actually like it?

real software development can easily land a job that pays more, start learning machine learning for example

and the javascript ecosystem is a disaster right now, just look at everything you need to know to "modern" web dev (webpack, babel, es6, polyfill, react, redux, just to get javascript that runs in a browser), which offers little to no advantage over jquery for most needs

yarn > npm
vim > nano

it sucks and its getting worse. so many fakers and pointless arguments over rebranded, overengineered, shitty tech with dumb names. for every smart, grounded person there are 10 cringelords.. example 29 year old "senior" "engiqueers" like this: twitter.com/beerops

im rdy for a career change too but it pays too well

I'm closer to it than many of my coworkers, but I'd feel more comfortable saying I'm just a programmer.

See:
On the occasions when I can't use Sublime Text or similar, vim seems to have much better shortcuts. It just simply does not warrant thrice-weekly drag-out conversations about which is better. They're both hammers. One just happens to be ball-peen and the other a claw-hammer.

Machine learning is interesting, but so far my skillset is definitely geared toward maintaining a .com. I keep hoping to strike out with Microsoft or another corporate devil and avoid the pitfalls of working in "trendy" startups like the one I recently left.

And god, yes, JS is a nightmare right now. Medium or Dev.to had a great parody Q&A between someone who just wants an AJAX call with some jQuery versus a Node.js clown-fuck who insists on postCSS and babel.

ggg

>twitter.com/beerops
Oh lord

> labelling yourself 10X
People who do this very rarely deserve the title. I've known one engineer who can really crank out ten times the average at high quality, and he insists "10X" is a myth used by recruiters to drum up jackoff candidates.

>twitter.com/beerops
why is holy man antonopolous following this? i can't imagine a single conversion could be had with this person without wanted to fucking blow your brains out

>engiqueer
Now I've seen everything