Why so many Romans Emperors was fuckin psychos?They could(the senators)AT LEAST,do some kind of mind exam...

Why so many Romans Emperors was fuckin psychos?They could(the senators)AT LEAST,do some kind of mind exam,for see if they could be the rulers of a empire??Or was just God punishment because they were faggots and pagans?

Part of it was paranoia. Imagination inheriting a position knowing that most people who hold it are eventually assassinated.

I'm sure a lot was political propaganda. The rest being absolute power, paranoia, drunkenness, lead in the water, and the jews. Whoops, forget that last one...

usually the worst emperors were result of hereditary succession

On the off chance this is not bait...

>Why so many Romans Emperors was fuckin psychos?
They were not "fuckin psychos".

> Caligula
> Nero
Probably a few more too. Of course that's not a super or normal majority but it is a submajority. Step up

>Two emperors
>Lets just bump it up to 4 to include Caracalla and Elagabalus
>Lets even add Tiberius because of his old age

That's 5. Out of nearly 100 Western emperors alone. That's hardly a submajority

And most of those likely weren't psycho but smeared by the Senate after their deaths.

tiberius is underrated

nero was just incompetent guy who liked to party hard and one of his parties accidentaly burned rome (no, it wasn't autistic plot to redesign it by burning it first)
and don't believe in caligula being retard
shitting on bad emperors after they died was common in rome

Commodus is my personal favourite madman

try Commodus. He apparently was offspring of wife who cucked Marcus Aurelius with some random gladiator.
>Later that year he dropped Antoninus and adopted as his full style Lucius Aelius Aurelius Commodus Augustus Herculeus Romanus Exsuperatorius Amazonius Invictus Felix Pius (the order of some of these titles varies in the sources). "Exsuperatorius" (the supreme) was a title given to Jupiter, and "Amazonius" identified him again with Hercules.

5 out of 100 would still be 5 times the comparative rate of the general population.

Hollywood loves to purposefully (or not) fall for Senate propaganda memes.

only if we can diagnosis each and every one of those five emperors with schizophrenia

So let's break down these five emperors and see what we get.

Tiberius? More of a classical hedonist than anything else.

Caligula? He's probably the most likely candidate to be insane, but he was also quite a socialite which detracts from that argument. The most famous stories of his insanity can be explained with more logical rationale i.e. naming a horse a senator as an act to spite the aristocratic Senate rather than an act of pure insanity.

Nero? Nero was a rational tyrant. He was corrupt as sin, but hardly mad. He was supported by the lower classes above the Senate, which makes the historiography hard to rely on.

Caracalla? Another tyrant like Nero. His granting of citizenship is sometimes lauded as an early example of egalitarianism but in reality it was nothing more than a pragmatic act to expand the Roman conscription pool.

Elagabalus? Maybe, but of all the emperors I trust the official sources on, Elagabalus is the least. Most of what we supposedly know is from Cassius Dio alone, who certainly had many agendas behind his writing. He may have been degenerate, but I doubt he scoured Rome looking for surgeons to snip his nuts.

None really fit a case of classic schizophrenia though. Caligula may have been brain damaged from the fever, or he may have just been a traumatized kid acting out against the system that created him (his life story is shit piled onto shit and nobody expected him to ever take the throne).

Because hard bastards make the best statues

who needs to pass an exam when you can just get the legions to make you emperor?

That's 100 emperors for a little over 300 years unless you include the eastern side and the Byzantines. So that's roughly 3 years per emperor and we know that most emperors lasted longer and that should say something in itself.

Are you serious? The dude was a damn psychopath. He killed his mother in like 4 failed attempts before having people stab her. He also killed off the rest of his family.

There were like 5 who were crazy, and only like 3 of those were homicidally crazy.

Elagabalus was just a fruit

That's not the Emperor's fault, it's the Army's.

The Armies were constantly killing and replacing Emperors to get bribes

Tiberius was rational, a good emperor, and a bro

DUDE RED PILLED LMAO

Well than a. The emperor allows corruption or b. The emperor has a reason for people to want them to die

Praetorian guard was a mistake.

>a little over 300 years

Nigga what? From Augustus to Augustulus is 27 BC to 476 AD. That's 500 years.

>They could(the senators)AT LEAST,do some kind of mind exam,for see if they could be the rulers of a empire??

Implying they had a choice most of the time

Oh I accidentally read the dates pre split, it's probably a bit over 300 then

>The emperor allows corruption
>Allow us to make you Emperor or we will kill you, and don't tell us not to kill you or we'll kill you
>The emperor has a reason for people to want them to die
>Hey, THEY made their guy Emperor; if we made OUR guy Emperor, we'd get stuff too

The truth of the matter is that during the times when there were very short reigning Emperors, they didn't really have time for the PEOPLE to hate them.

The only time it got that bad was Caligula, Nero, and arguably Commodus, although it was less the people and more the Nobility there.

Most of the craziness was due to civil wars, not Tyranny

>Let's add Tiberius
Tiberius did literally nothing wrong
>Strengthened borders
>Left Rome with over 3 billion sesterces in the treasury
>No evidence that he actually diddled kids in Capri

i remember also reading about "provincial" nationalism
>hey, if this fag from Syria can be emperor then why can't we have Illyrian emperor? Find someone capable reee

In later stages person with most soldiers was emporer. So it didnt matter. Also empire didnt had good system to appoint new emporer. So that is also one of the reasons.

His mother was evil though. She's like Cersei in Game of Thrones. Always trying to control her son and probably poisoned her husband Claudius.

I wonder how much of this treasury surplus actually is the work of Seianus. I mean, Tiberius was said to have been a miser, but during his self-imposed "exile" I really doubt he cared for fiscal politics.

because butthurt senators little shits wrote bad things about them

What I mean is, a the emperor was unexpectedly a pussy or b u expectedly awful and had to die

Let's say, by some offchance, that this is true. Still, Nero ended up killing like 3 servants to get to his mother. Also he used some pretty fucked up ways like a collapse ovwr her bed.