Is The Pacific true to events, or at least the realism of combat in the Pacific theatre of war?

Is The Pacific true to events, or at least the realism of combat in the Pacific theatre of war?

What are some good war movies on Netflix?

City of Life and Death, it's really hard to watch but it's one of the best films on Netflix period.

If I could just take this moment to ask the thread's question again instead of someone derailing it.

Band of brothers was known to be pretty damn real so I feel like The Pacific is similar. However, the Pacific is not based as closely on reality as BoB is so story wise probably not. Violence though? Most likely, besides normal hollywood action tropes.

To be honest an entire episode in BoB is fictional.
Carentan was never attacked directly, it got shelled to shit. I assume they had the 101st attack it in the show for some filler?
On the topic of The Pacific, it goes down some extreme roads where gore is concerned.

While true sadly it's not on Netflix anymore, got any ideas where else I could find it with English subtitles?

The Admiral: Roaring Currents is also a really good movie about Korean admiral defending against 2nd Japanese invasion

Can all the Netshits get out and start their own thread.

The Pacific is very true to events, as it's based on actual memoirs while BoB was written by Ambrose from authentic accounts that he dramatized for the sake of storytelling.

If anything The Pacific is toned down, especially in regards to the events pulled from Sledge's book 'With the Old Breed.' Some characters are changed, Snafu for instance is more of an amalgamation of different unnamed Marines mentioned by Sledge. In the book Snafu acts more or less like everyone else and isn't the grizzled, jaded vet depicted on the show.

'With the Old Breed' is great if you haven't read it.

>At first glance the dead gunner appeared about to fire his deadly weapon. He still sat bolt upright in the proper firing position behind the breech of his machine gun. Even in death his eyes stared widely along the gun sights. Despite the vacant look of his dilated pupils, I couldn't believe he was dead. Cold chills ran along my spine. Gooseflesh tickled my back. It seemed as though he was looking through me into all eternity, that at any instant he would raise his hands—which rested in a relaxed manner on his thighs—grip the handles on the breech, and press the thumb trigger. The bright shiny brass slugs in the strip clip appeared as ready as the gunner, anxious to speed out, to kill, and to maim more of the “American devils.” But he would rot, and they would corrode. Neither he nor his ammo could do any more for the emperor.

>The crown of the gunner's skull had been blasted off, probably by one of our automatic weapons. His riddled steel helmet lay on the deck like a punctured tin can. The assistant gunner lay beside the gun. Apparently, he had just opened a small green wooden chest filled with strip clips of machine-gun cartridges when he was killed. Several other Japanese soldiers, ammo carriers, lay strung out at intervals behind the gun.

>As we talked, I noticed a fellow mortarman sitting next to me. He held a handful of coral pebbles in his left hand. With his right hand he idly tossed them into the open skull of the Japanese machine gunner. Each time his pitch was true I heard a little splash of rainwater in the ghastly receptacle. My buddy tossed the coral chunks as casually as a boy casting pebbles into a puddle on some muddy road back home; there was nothing malicious in his action. The war had so brutalized us that it was beyond belief.

>While true sadly it's not on Netflix anymore, got any ideas where else I could find it with English subtitles?
Really? I thought it was permanently licensed by them. That's a shame. Uh I'm not sure if either of these are on at the moment (they both come in and out of the Netflix circulation) but Apocalypse Now (Theatrical is best) and The Thin Red Line are great

How much pussy did our boys really get in Australia?

The Carentan episode overblows the fight that actually happened because otherwise there wouldnt be enough to fill the episode. There was a skirmish at the edge of town with the MG and the "stunned german stumbling out of the building" thing is a personal anecdote, but there was no sustained firefight and they definitely didnt wipe out a whole Fallschirmjager platoon running across a field. Why they hamfisted this in but didnt shown their badass bayonet charge in the sandpit in Market Garden I dont know.

A lot, as in England, mostly because the American serviceman was paid more than their counterparts and could just buy out the bar.

yeeeeeeeeah booyyyyyyy

To show the battle of the Sandpit would have required a few episodes actually showing what they did during Market Garden, which they chose to reduce to a single episode instead.

Also they didnt have enough budget to show the Panzer assault on Bastogne, so they definitely didnt have the budget to show the King Tigers in the sandpit.

They really did tone down and cut out a bunch of parts. People thought Snafu taking teeth in the show was creepy? In the last couple of pages of the Peleliu section, he describes how a Marine literally took a cut off hand as a war trophy and was showing it off to other Marines.

lol yeah, at least they got him to throw it away

also the marine who went through all the trouble of finding an acceptable spot next to a Japanese corpse, going prone, and taking careful aim to shoot off the tip of its exposed dick

Is the Pacific worth a watch loved Band of Brothers?

Yes, it's worse on a whole but it definitely has it's moments. The Okinawa episode is my favorite from either show.

A lot of people don't like it because it jumps around from unit to unit but its still a good production.

The third miniseries about the 8th Airforce is in production atm.

No.

>Muh Peleliu.
>Muh Okinawa.
Daily reminder the Muhreens missed out on the biggest US land-shitfight in the Pacific. Complete with Urban Combat.

I'm pretty sure Okinawa is still bigger than that but I agree that it would've been cool to see too.

I should rephrase actually. Okinawa was bigger than any single battle in that operation, but there were a ton of different battles that too place to liberate the Philippines.

Peleliu had a shitty landing and Okinawa had suicidal civilians. How crazy was the Philippine Liberation campaign?

It had the only major case of Urban Combat in the Pacific & a bunch of Japanese Intelligence Battalions - Commandoes basically- held out in pockets for so long the last of them surrendered in the 70s.

The guy who surrendered in the 70s was on Iwo Jima wasn't he?

Hiroo Onoda was in a Philippine island.

Literally running away from M16A1 fire after stealing stuff from locals, the crazy cunt.

>Marines do the heavy lifting all over the pacific
>Armyfag has to chirp in "MUH PHILIPPINES THAT WE SHOULDN'T HAVE LOST IN THE FIRST PLACE"

Cave combat is worse than urban combat. Only battlefields of the war in which rifles killed more than artillery.