Why are scientists so scared of carbon dating dinosaur bones? Are they afraid they're not as old as they estimated?

Why are scientists so scared of carbon dating dinosaur bones? Are they afraid they're not as old as they estimated?

Carbon dating is only effective for a certain timeframe. You need to use other isotopes for older fossils.

>scared
Because there has to be significant amounts of carbon in the material.

Fission track dating gets us close for recentish teeth.

Beyond that it relies on chemical forms of dating. Buried bones absorb chemicals, such as uranium and fluorine, from the surrounding ground and absorb more of these chemicals the longer they remain buried. The rates of absorption depend on a number of factors which are too variable to provide absolute dates. This technique is, however, useful for providing relative dates for objects found at the same site.

>scared of carbon dating dinosaur bones
b8ting or just american?

What do you think? :^)

>carbon dating
>dinosaur bones
You're retarded

American.

No, I was baiting.
Psyche!

AHhhhhh! You got me, you sneaky son of a bitch! Have a (You), you glorious bastard.

>tfw this is what my father unironically believes
Why did American Protestantism go so wrong Veeky Forums?

Hey I'm Nordic and the whole shit is universal to looney sects (ie. not Lutheran, Calvinist or CoE). My father has a pseudo-science book that explains tectonic movements as having occurred during the great flood.

Freedom of religion was a mistake.

Lots of people with little education or understanding of the bible, its history, or theology starting and running churches.

How come there hasn't been a horror movie where Noah and the rest tries to survive dinosaur attacks? It would be like Jaws vs Jurassic Park

That needs to be a movie.

because we've already got accurate dates on the rock that they were found in

you would think they would have mentioned something about that in the Bible

fucking protestants always trying to change the Bible

brb just pitching to syfy

have you tried calmly explaining to him what carbon dating is, how it works and why it wouldn't be applicable to dinosaur fossils?

yeah I told him dinosaurs are older than carbon so carbon dating wouldn't work but he just doesn't listen...

>Diego Brando leads am army.

Slippery slope. Literally.
>Be Protestant.
>Translate bible.
>"Am now 100% more learned in da bibble just because I red da bukk. Fuck learning about Latin/Koine Greek/Hebrew, or Historical Context of its writing and the situations & narratives in it."
>Take this anti-intellectualist approach in other fields.

Kek