How wasn't the Korean peninsula eaten by China over the many thousands of years of Chinese development?

How wasn't the Korean peninsula eaten by China over the many thousands of years of Chinese development?

t. ancient history brainlet.

the koreans resisted fiercely and started a buncha fucking wars in order to stay independent against the chinese. plus their land had a fuck ton of mountains and winter there usually killed invaders due to attrition.

>Waging a land war in Asia
I bet you also go in against Sicilians when death is on the line.

you cant invade mountains. even with modern armies your casualties tend to skyrocket when it comes to mountains. also romans - scotland and so on and so on

Why didn't they just sail over from mainland and conquer coastal cities and choke out the inner cities? And just how incompetent were the sui to bankrupt themselves while still failing to conquer korea?

the heart of china is pretty far away from korea itself. i imagine most of the army was scattered around there too, so it would have taken forever to march the entire chinese army down there just to sail to some shitty place covered in mountains, plus the needed construction of so many boats to ferry these cunts - i wouldn't be surprised if they went bankrupt due to that.

oh, and the koreans have pretty good naval ships.

It's a good buffer state between the nomadic Manchurian tribes to the north and the Japanese to the east. Also, the people are speak a completely unrelated language and have their own culture, and though it borrows from Chinese, it is still very unique. Additionally the land is very mountainous and the waters are treacherous. Honestly, holding Korea would mean gaining very little arable land while increasing your defensive perimeter by a thousand miles and paying out of the ass to garrison border forts to keep out those goddamn Manchus and Khitan and Jurchens.

Easy: same as fucking Japan: it is too far from what is China proper at the time. Because China couldve easily did so militarily, but what was the fucking point? All you have all of the sudden is a hugeasfuck area populated to the brim with culturally different people.

Want a proof of this: consider the Gojoseon Han War. Emperor Wu of Han- arguably the dynasty's greatest Emperor- feared yet another strong state showing up after having just recently put down the Xiongnu power. He then started a war and invaded Korea. What did he do afterwards? Nothing. Broke the country into 3 and established a commandery in modern Liaodong/Northern Korea. Korean remained broken for a fucking millenia because of China. And China was happy to keep things that way.

That said, Korea- or at least the North of the Peninsula- has always been a Chinese suzerain one way or another.

1. Rivers separate the peninsula, effectively turning it into an island. a formidable barrier for most of history
2. incredibly mountainous
3. Koreans fought ferociously against any invaders. They actually rekt the Japanese once, IIRC

The times Korea "rekt Japan" they had Chinese help.

still rekt em

The whole war is a proxy war between China and Japan. Korea wasn't even part of the peace negotiations at times.

Well, if your casus belli was "I want to invade China because Empire." China's kinda going to take it personally.

The point is though, Korea was a non-actor. They were just the battleground and got rekt by two greater powers fucking around with it.

Speaking of greater powers, why was japan stronger than korea historically? Weren't they notoriously resource-poor?

1) Can you please stop with the resource poor shit. Japan is a fuckhuge Island chain the size of the entire US East Coast and then some.
2) Historically Korea was stronger than the Nips during the Three Kingdoms period (Korean Version). Literally A LOT of Yamato warrior equipment was Korean in origin (pic related: the Haniwa Warrior Statues feature the EXACT armor)). However Korea reunified under the Silla and then Goryeo/Goguryeo. Peaceful transitions these things with trouble coming only from China or the Steppes. Meanwhile Japan plunged into internecine warfare from which emerged a warrior culture.

Korea voluntarily entered into tributary relation with China after many futile attempts of hostile takeover by the Chinese.

>Korea voluntarily entered into tributary relation with China after many futile attempts of hostile takeover by the Chinese.
like Scotland then

Korea was under Chinese hegemony for many years. Unlike white snow niggers, the glorious Chinese didn't feel the need to colonise and exterminate every people they encountered.

China was okay with tributary system. It had practiced that with all of its neighbors.

>Gojoseon
Gojoseon originated in a Western Liaoning,an area under Shang hegemony(Guzhu,pre Zhou Yan) and a hotbed of Shang loyalists(the Ji polity from the Fen river valley fled to this area forming the foundations of the Jizi myth).

There's no conclusive evidence whether Gojoseon spoke Koreanic or their relationship with the neighboring Yemaek,Buyeo and Jin.

>why was japan stronger than korea historically?
Japanese were historically irrelevant and owe their foundations to the Korean peninsula(whether they like it or not).

Japanese are mainly descended from the agriculturalists of central/southern Korea(Who may have been originally Japonic before switching to Koreanic).

There's this giant ass thing called Manchuria between China proper south of the wall and Kpop land.

Mountains

>Koreans fought ferociously against any invaders. They actually rekt the Japanese once, IIRC

They got bailed out by the chinks.

N Korea was on several occasions.

>That said, Korea- or at least the North of the Peninsula- has always been a Chinese suzerain one way or another.
>N Korea was on several occasions

Do elaborate because I can only think of four commanderies.

Conquests of Han against Wiman Choson. Tang dynasty established tributaries there and the Yuan Dynasty also took it over if you want to count it even if they're Mongolian. That's all I know of off the top of my head.

>Conquests of Han against Wiman Choson
So four commandaries
>Tang dynasty established tributaries there
They were no tributaries. After taking out both Goguryeo and Baekje Tang installed provisional government to directly rule these areas. This lasted for about a decade until it came into conflict with Silla and Tang lost its Korean territory south of Taedong river. Soon Balha would emerge and retake most of the former Goguryeo territory
>Yuan Dynasty
Why single out northern Korea in particular? Which was what I was curious about in

The Koreans accepted being a Tribute state which worked out for them

>Conquests of Han against Wiman Choson
Wiman Choson was intrusive to the Korean peninsula. Chinbon and Imdun are the natives.

Yeah I know. Wiman was a defector general of one of the Han emperor's vassals. I think it was Wu.

>Wiman was a defector general of one of the Han emperor's vassals.
Choson as a toponym wasn't even close to the Korean peninsula but in border between northern Hebei and Liaoning.

Equating Gojoseon with Koreans is like calling the Iberian peninsula Mexican(except in this case no one knows what Gojoseon spoke).

Gojoseon was a state, not a person.

Your argument toward the credulous Gija Joeson hypothesis and your broken grammar makes me suspect paid Chinese 50 cent shitposter too.

Death to Communists.

Yeah you're correct but iirc Wu went further than Wiman's territory. Pic related is Han during their Golden Age.

>Gojoseon was a state, not a person.
Zhan Guo Ce and Shan Hai Jing place Joseon in the vicinity of Yan and the Bohai.

Guanzi records the Fa Chaoxian(alternatively the Fa and Chaoxian) payed tribute to Duke Huan of Qi.

None of these texts mentions a polity.

>Your argument toward the credulous Gija Joeson hypothesis
I've never argued for Gija(Viscount of Ji) Joseon,rather the anachronism could be inspired by Shang refugee groups that settled in the region.

Joseon didn't exist when the Marquis of Ji(㠱侯) migrated from the Fen river to the Luan river valley. Due to the similarities between 㠱 and 箕,scholars have tried to link the two.

>paid Chinese 50 cent shitposter too.
Maybe Koreans wouldn't be so buttblasted if they examine the primary sources.

1. Joseon originally referred to a region in western Liaoning.

2.Wiman Joseon is also known as the Yemaek Joseon(or the Yemaek and the Joseon),showing Chinese authors distinguished Yemaek Joseon from Joseon.

2. Wiman Joseon included regions other than Joseon(Zhenfan,Han,Nixi etc.)

3. The natives of Northern Yan and Joseon spoke the same topolect during the Han dynasty.

4. Goguryeo chose to venerate the Buyeo polity as their ancestors not Wiman Joseon or Joseon.

>Yeah you're correct but iirc Wu went further than Wiman's territory.
Zhenfan(Chinbon) is already mentioned during Wiman's original consolidation.

There simply isn't enough information on the nature of the Joseon polity or the exact borders.