Tfw to dumb too get into military strategy

>tfw to dumb too get into military strategy

How do you approach learning about military strategy so it's interesting instead of boring?

Other urls found in this thread:

strategicstudiesinstitute.army.mil/pubs/parameters/articles/07spring/kreps.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I'd recommend reading papers like this one* that study different strategic aspects of a certain conflict. First you have to know a little bit about the conflict, but once you do background reading you're all set to start doing further research on it.

Just keep on doing that over and over again with different conflicts. I recommend small ones (Arab-Israeli conflicts are a really good place to start because they're all small, short, modern, and interesting).

If you're going to an American university with an ROTC program, you can take the courses cadets take without actually enrolling in the program and get a foundation in military studies that way, too.

* strategicstudiesinstitute.army.mil/pubs/parameters/articles/07spring/kreps.pdf

cool, thanks user

Play Rome Total War

I've played crusader kings II and Europa universalis IV for a while now. Also the entire total war series, especially medieval II and Shogun II.

These games are unironically the best "military and politics for dummies" starters you could ask for. It's like learning how a sports game works through study or through playing the video game version.

>paradox GSG
>anything close to military strategy

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Go back to /gsg/, my sides.

Looks like somebody got BTFO'd in online play :^)

Playing a lot of Rome Total war helped me. 80% of my steam library are strategy.

If you arent baiting genuinely kys

Hammer and anvil

Just spam horse archers man.

Read the "Art of War" it's literally 100 pages, and it's quite interesting. After that, read Romance of the Three Kingdom's, or read the manga version by Yokoyama Mitsuteru, or watch the translated television drama.

>These games are unironically the best "military and politics for dummies" starters you could ask for
I realize this post is b8 but I'm still mad

That sounds familiar...

>How do you approach learning about military strategy so it's interesting instead of boring?
If you just don't find it interesting, why do have any desire to learn more about it? Though it could happen, you can't count on some shift in your understanding that will suddenly make it interesting.

Why not study something that interests you?

Military strategy of what century or decade? I'm easily of 3,000 pages of academic reading and maybe 20+ hours of lectures.
What am I studying? Counterinsurgency 19th-21st century.

>If you just don't find it interesting, why do have any desire to learn more about it?

Part of it is I want to get better at chess and strategy in general. So you can't really say there is or isn't interest in an absolute way, there's a high level / abstract interest but it's being confounded by difficulties getting into the low level details. I have tendencies that make my gaming too shallow, reactive, and impatient, and I'd like to develop something deeper than that. Which is why I wanted to get more of an idea for how people who are interested in the details required for having a good sense of strategy got to the point of seeing those details as interesting.

>/gsg/ plays multiplayer.jpg

Not him, but you won't get better at chess or strategy games by studying military strategy.

Hell, go to chessgames.com and look up Napoleon's games, they've got a handful. The guy is SHIT at chess. If you want to get good at these kinds of games, study those kinds of games. Don't study military history in an attempt to get better.

I think what you really want is to learn about strategic thinking in general, not just military strategy which is a specific branch of strategy.

You have to imagine scenarios then how you would react and counter to them.

For example lets say you have a fight in a forest, obviously you need supplies so you need to determine a route for your supply network then station some troops to ensure the enemy line doesnt cut if off. Meanwhile since you are in a forest your view is obscured meaning close quarters combat wont be that possible so your job is bait enemy soldiers into coming closer within killing distance of your archers, there are many ways to do this, but if they suspect you are baiting them.

You have to mindfuck them, make them think you are not baiting them but just acting retarded.

If the enemy soldiers are far away then baiting is out of the question so you will have to sneak up on them or do the old fashion siege strategy and find a way to make them starve to death leading to your victory.

That wasn't the only thing I was looking into for chess. I also read actual chess books. I was just looking into military strategy as part of a holistic approach to better intuiting strategy in general.

Start by reading the art of war. All the basics boiled down to short easy to read points.

If you want a gamified way to learn about modern warfare (1945-present) CMANO is a strategy simulator with a focus on aerial, naval and strategic nuclear warfare, which shows what a commander would see on a radar screen at HQ and has you order the units about.

It's used by the British military for learning purposes. Simulates hundreds of scenarios based on real, fictional and almost-happened historical events. It makes you learn really quickly the real considerations of those historical events.

I find it addictive desu

*also its not arcadey or based on abstractions it uses all the real symbology and simulates like how fast jet engines burn fuel, radar signatures of ships and aircraft, weather and much more

Read Sun Tzu/Mozi's book.
Read On war by Clausewitz