Couldn't the German line of defense have won this through simple chemical warfare?

Couldn't the German line of defense have won this through simple chemical warfare?

Other urls found in this thread:

dday-overlord.com/eng/us_navy_battleships.htm
dday-overlord.com/eng/royal_navy_main_battleships.htm
dday-overlord.com/eng/free_france_battleships.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

No.

What do you mean by simple chemical warfare? Sheeling the see with chlorine?

Thanks for contributing.

Allied infantry was critical to it.

Shelling the beaches with sulfur mustard.

Almost certainly not. How are they going to accurately deliver the gas ordinance where and when it was needed? The Germans didn't exactly know where and when Overlord would happen.

And it's also not like the Allies didn't make basic preparations for chemical warfare.

[critical fail]: Wind blew it against German bunkers.

One thing I don't get. Why didn't the allies just shell those bunkers before the landings?

With the artillery that they needed to land before shelling anything?

They did bombard the castal fortifications before landing, with naval and air forces, but bombardment is never 100% effective. One of the reasons Utah beach was as messy as it was is the bombardment didn't neutralize the bunkers and pock-marked the LZ enough that it was difficult to move around.

Omaha, not Utah. I don't know why the hell I wrote Utah.

Wind?

>With the artillery that they needed to land before shelling anything?

What are battleships?

Not particularly used for shore bombardment in Europe. Most bombardment from naval vessels was done by the lighter cruisers, which with their shallower drafts, could get closer to target.

Furthermore, did you read the literally second line of my post?

>They did bombard the castal fortifications before landing, with naval and air forces,

dday-overlord.com/eng/us_navy_battleships.htm

dday-overlord.com/eng/royal_navy_main_battleships.htm

dday-overlord.com/eng/free_france_battleships.htm

They couldn't have done anymore of it?

Maybe.

But since the skies belonged to the Allies in 1944, they would have reaped the whirlwind of such an action.

Not without delaying things. And the longer your bombardment goes on, the more you telegraph to your enemy that you're attacking here, and the tougher they harden their defenses as troops that were guarding other areas that you might have attacked instead start drifting in.

As an aside, I'm pretty sure at least part of the Omaha problems were because of bad intel which both affected the bombardment and caused them to overstate its effectiveness.

Nobody wanted to open the can of worms that is chemical warfare - not even Hitler.

But outside of the battlefield, Zyklon-B.

Germany never used chemical weapons during the war. Adolf Hitler declared that his forces would never used any kind of chemical agent, and the Allies likewise considered them off-limits, although both sides kept them on hand in case the other used them first. Hitler had personally survived a mustard gas attack in World War I, and his injuries from that are what took him out of that war. Hitler firmly believed that gassing was too horrible to subject anyone to. The Germans refrained from chemical attacks even until Berlin was being overrun. There were some accidents, like when the Allies bombed a barge in Italy that happened to have some chemical weapons on board which then injured some troops I think, but besides that unconventional weapons of mass destruction weren't used, at least on the Western Front.

>Hitler firmly believed that gassing was too horrible to subject anyone to.

whut?

>the Heer gasses the troops moving inland on D-Day
>the next week, 30,000 tons of phosgene falls on Cologne

Hmmm well there's another hole in the whole "Holocaust" story.

Other way around, Jerry bombed Bari, allied held port, struck an allied ship carrying mustard gas in case the boxheads decided to start shit.

Right.

The Americans used nukes of course. Do you know if the Japanese ever used chemical/biological weapons? I know the Soviets intentionally used biological weapons on the eastern front once.

>hitler treating jews as people

Hitler also authorised using explosive sniper rounds on the east front but not the west one

>a hole in holocaust
Geez, we are getting attacked by Reddit Commie board and now /pol/. This is what the Namibia people went through.

Damn, can you imagine Bomber Harris being allowed to use chemical weapons? Germany would just straight cease to exist for the betterment of mankind.