Could you imagine the world without "modern"ist architecture?

You only have to go back to the 1910s when the "modernist" style was non-existent, and the 1950s before it was a major style. Modernism was bundled up in a lot of uptoian optimism, with its seemingly rational utilitarianism and sexy sleekness. The plainess was passed off as a revelation; "it's a feature, not a bug", and even if that may be true, due to its relativism and inscrutibility, it has made architecture much more lazy, facile and unaccountable. Imagine a world where:

> Every country has a unique aesthetic character, alive in its streets and homes.
> Where neo-classicalism was the global style, but reinterpreted in each region in harmony with its surroundings.
> Where each building had depth and authenticity.
> Where our cities reflect a wider array of motifs, rather than the shallow palette that is available due to blind utilitarianism.

What do you think, Veeky Forums?

This was the world before Walter Gropius and his horribly misguided Bauhas.

Now we have the same ugly, meaningless, mock-futurist buildings everywhere.

I'm not racist at all. This isn't about Nativism.

It's just about aesthetics and good architecture. Most "cultural" architecture is dead now. They aren't living styles anymore.

That's because "modern"ism, which isn't necessarily modern, is so totalistic that you can't incorporate older designs into something so plain. Before the two world wars, neo-classicalism and "Imperial" architecture was shaping up to be the dominant global styles, and those are by necessity adapted when they appeared in a new region. They wouldn't just be carbon copies of Rome, they'd take the main points of Roman Classicalism and harmonise into the regional meilleur.

Sounds good desu.

Edinburgh is a pretty good example of a modern city without a huge amount of 'modern' architecture. Place feels like Hogwarts.

Modern architecture can be good, though yeah, if you're not doing something unique with it, then we just end up with glass-covered boxes that all look the same.

Look up the Scottish Parliament Building if you want to see a fucking tragedy of modern architecture that the pols can't stop wanking over.

Jesus Christ

At least the grounds are nice

I think it has the same problem as modern art. It's a style that makes itself inscrutibile. Like splashing period blood on a canvas, and going on about how deep and profound it is, when it's just period blood on a canvas.

I'd go as far as to say the umbrella term "modern" in the arts is a byword for substancelessness and inscrutibility. It's relativistic. There is no truth, there are no standards.

I actually don't mind as much with art, or music, or literature, because it's an individual's choice to like vapid art, music, or literature. But architecture is an imposition. It fundamentally alters our landscape, and poor architecture does it for the worse.

Post sexy places

Finland, why?

>Code violations
>Code violations everywhere.

Is this place GMO?

Monsanto was is actually a town founded by the Monsanto family; an Italian cartel known for shaking down farmers for a cut off their grain sales.

O beautiful, for spacious skies, for amber waves of grain, has there ever been another place on earth where so many people of wealth and power have paid for and put up with so much architecture they detested as within thy blessed borders today?

I'd love to rescue a nice, old building. Gut the interior to suit your needs and get everything shipshape while still having all that old world charm.

>tfw reading up on urban planning
>tfw you realize how irreversibly fuck our cities are
>tfw even if you could fix them they are so demographically fucked that you will only be building up the west to serve the muslim/3rd worlders that will replace actual westerners
>tfw everything is hopeless

I refuse to believe this.

I love those Corbusier horizontal windows tbqh

Believe it

>falling for the urban planning meme

If you want to live in disgusting grid cities then go to American

Art Deco still holds up as modernist architecture.

I am glad a world made only of shitty rehashed townhouses did not exist and we have at least ugly rehashed, efficent blocks of flats.

Or Barcelona.

Or every Roman colonia.

Eh, that building's a bit 2 modern 4 me. Those are some aesthetic stairs though.

>wanting to understand/create prosperous and well designed cites = supporting souless grids

true but far from all of it

And the four beasts had each of them six wings about him; and they were full of eyes within: and they rest not day and night, saying, Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty, which was, and is, and is to come.

Scottish highlands/isles are the comfiest of places