Has Ethiopia historically had closer ties to the Middle East or Sub Saharan Africa?

Has Ethiopia historically had closer ties to the Middle East or Sub Saharan Africa?

Mostly Egypt, Arabia and Yemen

It has almost no ties to subsaharan africa, its ties are to Yemen and Egypt / Nubia.

>Has Ethiopia historically had closer ties to the Middle East or Sub Saharan Africa?
depends which part of sub-saharan Africa and which part of the middle east.

I hate you fucking ferengi and your stupid questions.

The horn has always been closest with the Horn. From southeastern Egypt, eastern Nubia to somalia.

Arabia Felix from before the time of Punt was culturally the extension of the Horn, the "Arabs" absorbed my people and created a new peoples who then went back into the horn.

The back and forth of the cultural domains of the Horn and Arabia Felix are complex. Ideas of subsahara are silly because Ethiopia itself is Subsaharan.

The influences of my ancestors can be found all the way south to South Africa and Namibia. Africa is complicated, it is best you learn more.

>Ethiopia itself is Subsaharan

Yeah but nobody here that brings up Ethiopia are aware of the many, many tribes in the country.

Most people assume Ethiopians look Habeshans and are either Christian or Muslim.

We are subsaharan as well. Our predominate ancestry is Ethio-Somali, Ethiopic and Nilo-Saharan, Arab intergression is multilayered but not predominate at all.

They and Somalis share closer DNA to Berbers and North Africans. They are also closer geographically and culturally to the semitic people.

Somalis are Roman not subaharan

Berber and North African DNA is not Semitic.

The ancestors split 34k years ago, reconstruction of old north Africans are pic related.

Even then you are only acknowledging Ethio-Somali component, ethiopics undeniable look distinct.

Oromos aren't Ethiopian. Stop this anti-amhara propaganda.

Ethnic groups of Ethiopia

If you mean the 'Abyssinian' Ethiopians like Tigrayans and Amhara, then they're culturally closer with the Middle East/Northeast Africa than they are with, for example, Niger-Congo speaking areas. Like Europeans, their culture is unique to itself but wouldn't have emerged without heavy influence from the Middle East. They're Semitic speakers, their agriculture and civilization was first introduced from South Arabia, their Christian culture was introduced from the Roman East and had close ties with Coptic Egypt, etc. The only time they really had any connection to what would become 'Bantu' Africa was in the stone age, long before any concept of Ethiopia existed and long before the current inhabitants of those regions arrived.

On the other hand, the billion other ethnicities in Ethiopia vary. Muslims like Somalis obviously have close cultural connections with the Near East, others like the Sidama have very little. Both those aren't 'Ethiopian' in the historic sense any more than the Tibetans are Chinese.

Why are anthropologists so autistic when it comes to Africa? They remind me of linguists who try to try to consider every single slight variation in intonation as a dialect. I refuse to believe that these people are different enough that they should be considered different ethnic groups.

Many of them are closely related and might not seem that different to outsiders, but they have separate identities and usually speak different languages. Especially in the south of the country where the major empires/sultanates were very well established, there are lots of tiny tribes and languages living in different environments.

This. Amharas are the true Ethiopian people, Oromos and Tigray and Somalis are just minorities

consider Africa is like as big as USA China India and Europe together

>implying Amharas aren't just backward peasant WEWUZers pretending to be Hebrews and Aksumites
>implying Tigrayans aren't the true Ethiopians

Stop role-playing faggot
Amhara is not a stable ethnicity. It merely is an ethnic group of assimilated peoples of the highlands.

People call Selassie Amhara, he was half oromo and probably a couple more ethnic groups down the line.

Also Oromo are the ethnic majority.
The "Arabs" of Arabia Felix are themselves mixed descendants of Ethio-Somali people. Their culture and the language of South Semitic is complex, it has been argued by world renowned linguist Roger Blench that Gurage is an ancient offshoot of Semitic and others migrated into the Middle East.

The cultural conplexes of Ethiopia are an ancient and pulsating phenomena rooted in long term climatic fluctuations.

One can in fact see ancient roots of African plant husbandry in Ethiopia, there is continuity between Ethiopia and the rest of Subsaharan Africa. Westerners are just too ignorant to notice or care.

>Arabs" of Arabia Felix are themselves mixed descendants of Ethio-Somali people
WE

But seriously, so what? I'm pretty sure everyone is descended from Africans. That doesn't change the fact that Arabia is a different place from Ethiopia, and Ethiopia was very significantly influenced by that area.

>there is continuity between Ethiopia and the rest of Subsaharan Africa
What does 'continuity' even mean? There's nothing in common between Ethiopians and Nigerians or Congolese, whether you look at ethnicity, language, religion (except for the existence of Islam in both, an Arabian influence), urbanism, or culture in general.

Maybe five thousand years ago some people lived in Tanzania who were related to the people who later became Ethiopians before being assimilated into Bantu and Nilotic incomers, but that's hardly grounds for saying Ethiopia is tied closer with those regions than it is with the regions from which it received metallurgy, cities, writing and religion. I know there are some crops in Ethiopia that you also get in other parts of Africa, but there are also African crops in India and New Guinean crops in Africa, and I don't think anyone would argue that New Guineans are especially close with Africans.

>Westerners are just too ignorant to notice or care
Enough with the inferiority complex already.

To this day the Socotra, Mehri and other populations related to the ancient empires of Arabia speak Semitic with an undeniable Cushitic substratum. The region is built off of an African substratum seen in Punt with later Levantine input but even the Camel and Donkey are Horner transplants to the region.

There is genetic, cultural and culinary connection between the Sahel and savannahs of West Soudan all the way to South Africa. East Africa was never isolated from the rest of the Continent. The foundations of grain husbandry and harvesting predates Dmt, the archaeological record shows wheat and barley harvested in Many a Playa and Ore dynastic Nubia long before Eurasian farmers. The Vegecultural agricultural systems found from Sahel to Ethiopia extended much further north, the disappearance of Ensete and other non-grain crops came from later pressures of grain taxes but Ensete sustained much of Ethiopians population until quite recently.

Nigeria is not genetic homogenous not are they isolated, the Kanem arise from southern Libya and Chad forming an empire against the Sao. The history of Africa across the grasslands has much more.movement than you assume to have happened.

The Congolese are extremely diverse but are mostly the descendants of adopters of banana, regardless in even more montane Rwanda and Burundi we have Sahelian nilo saharan genes in Tutsi. Again things are more complicated than you want to believe.

Cities are not a Eurasian phenomena, religion is not exclusive to Ethiopia the wide spread of Christianity into Ethiopia outside the court is quiet recent, that in and of itself does not.make us more Eurasian.

Arabic was adapted into a couple West African languages, that does not make them more Eurasian.

You have a inferiority complex, you feel the need to make Ethiopians into something their not to make you feel good about us. It's sad and not based on anything other than out dated "science" that was clearly eurocentric and ethnocentric

>To this day the Socotra, Mehri and other populations...
None of this has anything to do with anything we're talking about.

>There is genetic, cultural and culinary connection
Genetics are irrelevant, take any of those haplogroup maps and you'll find genetic relationships between places like Cameroon and Ireland. The degree of cultural connection between Christian Ethiopians and other black Africans outside of the Horn ranges from non-existent to insignificant. I've already told you why culinary connections don't mean cultural closeness.

>wheat and barley harvested in Many a Playa and Ore dynastic Nubia long before Eurasian farmers
I don't know what this has to do with anything, but 'dynastic' Nubia didn't exist before Eurasian farmers. Nor does domesticated wheat or barley in Nubia predate that of Eurasia. I don't know where you get this shit from.

>Ensete sustained much of Ethiopians population
Source? I'm pretty sure ensete was never a major staple of either Tigrayans or Amharas (who are the only populations I'm talking about). Even if true, I'm not sure what this changes.

>Nigeria
>Congolese
I have no idea what you're on about here or what any of this has to do with our argument. Why are you going on a tangent about Nigeria and the Congo? This post is completely incoherent.

>you feel the need to make Ethiopians into something their not to make you feel good about us
Ethiopia's a shithole, I don't think anything could make me 'feel good' about the place. I find world history to be interesting, including parts of Africa like the Horn, the Swahili Coast and West Africa. It's always been clear to me that Ethiopia's context in world history places it closer to the Middle East than most of sub-Saharan Africa (except for its immediate neighbors). You're the one who gets upset whenever challenges your view of history.

>dynastic' Nubia didn't exist before Eurasian farmers. Nor does domesticated wheat or barley in Nubia predate that of Eurasia.

>he doesn't know about the proto-kangdoms.

You said "kangz" when I first brought them up. The sabean civilization amongst the others are the results of Puntite nations and camelleers and migrating herders.

These mixed people went back and forth the Horn but are rooted in Punt.

The religions of Agaw and other cushitic speakers is of a supreme God that was distant with spirits or lesser deities as intermediaries. This is standard through out the continent. Christianity was not the main religion of Ethiopia until recently, it's a blip of time.

This is even ignoring the Cushitic Midianites and their influence in Judaism stated in the Torah. It's the other way around.

The roots of Ethiopian plant domestication is rooted in the Neolithic subpluvial, the domestication events pertaining to Ethiopian domesticates and the subsistence practices of agricultural societies in Ethiopia is a foundational clue and marker of broader intercontinental dynamics and relations.

It was meant to say Nabta Playa and predynastic Nubia, I'm on a phone.

Read Roger Blench's work on Ensete.

Migration patterns within Africa spans obsolete notions of regional isolationism, Tebu went far south; Nilo Saharans went far south and Ethio somali went to the very ends of the continent.

Your views are built on obsolete ideas of the Horn and research the past thirty years is smashing that.

I was making this things for every country so don't make it seem like I'm singling out Africa. They are different ethnic groups officially according to the Ethiopian government.

Also, you should consider that an ethnic group is not only about genetics and where they came from, but about different cultures too