Why is the 'Protestant work ethic' myth so resilient even though it is not true?

Why is the 'Protestant work ethic' myth so resilient even though it is not true?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Protestant_Ethic_and_the_Spirit_of_Capitalism
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It's true though my Papist friend.

its propagated by max weber.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Protestant_Ethic_and_the_Spirit_of_Capitalism

It's not. See the Bavaria-Tuscany (Catholic) zone, by far the wealthiest region in Europe, and the industrial powerhouse of the continent.
Face it, heretics, you just can't compete

It's true though my Papist friend.

Should we compare protestant America to Catholic America?

But both are shit by default.

Most sociology textbooks that I've read (and by coincidence I've had a look at pretty much all the ones offered in the province) will say that the weber wasn't really right on the matter. They still bring him up, not because he is right but because he's a good early example of what it means to have a "sociological imagination."

Protestant culture values freedom much more than catholicism which is inherently imperial on ethos.

One could say (giving an Veeky Forumstorian an aneurisma in the way) that protestantism is the nordic pagan/vikinguesque soul pouring through the monolithic and dominering catholic moral

Okay, Protestants farming using slave labor vs Irish/Italian/Polish Catholics working their asses off in shitty factories. I wonder who works harder.

C'est la vérité, mon ami papiste.

>Irish/Italian/Polish Catholics
>Catholics
>implying

I went to catholic school with a lot of wealthy people. Protestants on the other hand tend to be redneck white trash

former polish catholic here. now im atheist ;)

Considering protestant most protestants tend to be either retarded niggers or hillbillies who both mooch off welfare I would rather avoid that topic if I were you. Mind you I'm talking about actual protestants and not crypto Catholics like Episcopalians.

By the 17th century Italy was persecuting Galileo and in relative decline compared to its renaissance highs and later France was under Louis XIV who was viewed as a tyrant only interested in war and pomp by the growing educated protestant middle classes in England, the Netherlands and Northern Germany.

In contrast, Britain began its ascent after the glorious revolution, protestantism was associated with parliament and liberty in contrast to the catholic absolute monarchs, Britain supported the royal society and scientists like Isaac Newton and London permitted a level of free speech rarely seen in large cities in history.

Correlation does not imply causation, but there was a strong correlation.

That's unfair because the majority of catholics are Mexicans, compare white american protestants with white american catholics instead.

It is true. Just look at Europe. Protestant nations are generally more successful.

>Work your whole Theology around not having to do shit
>Claim to work hard

Perfidious Prods

Well I can only speak for my own experience, but I came from good Protestant folk of German extraction who have worked in agriculture in Michigan for a century. There are always fuck-ups and ne'er do wells in the family, but the ones who provide your backbone, yeah. They work fucking hard, every day, whether you're a farmer or a grain elevator operator or a driver or a fertilizer salesman. My dad and grandpa are two of the hardest working people I've ever met, and I'm thankful I was able to benefit by their example.

Yeah, the protestant work ethic is a thing. If you're the kind of person who is going to pay attention to that lesson. You're taught by the good ones to work hard at WHATEVER you do, humble or mighty, that if a job is worth doing it's worth doing well, and not to look down on any man who works for a living, be they low or high. The willingness to work hard is what makes the man.

This ethos is in decline, I fear.

>theology is based around bribing your way unto heaven
Lmao papists.

Irish Micks worked harder than any of those guns fund faggots

You mean all those nice traditional churches the catholics build compared to the proddy toolsheds

Because Weber is still retains the status as a classic and everyone forgot about Werner Sombart.

>Britain began its ascent after the glorious revolution, protestantism was associated with parliament and liberty
Pretty sure Brits is Anglican which is basically Catholic with Monarch as religious head instead of Pope.

You don't really understand the theology of sola gratia. Like at all.