Were the assassin's (Assassin's creed) based on an actual group...

Were the assassin's (Assassin's creed) based on an actual group? If so what similarities do the in game assassins have with the actual assassins?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassins
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Assassins (Arabic: حشاشين Hashashin; from Assassiyun: “those faithful to the foundation”) is a name used to refer to the medieval Nizari Ismailis. Often described as a secret order led by a mysterious “Old Man of the Mountain”, the Nizari Ismailis were an Islamic sect that formed in the late 11th century from a split within Ismailism – itself a branch of Shia Islam.
>The Nizaris posed a military threat to Sunni Seljuq authority within their territories by capturing and inhabiting many unconnected mountain fortresses throughout Persia, and later Syria, under the leadership of Hassan-i Sabbah. Sabbah is typically regarded as the founder of the Assassins, founding the so-called “Nizari Ismaili state” with Alamut Castle as its headquarters. Asymmetric warfare, psychological warfare, and surgical strikes were often an employed tactic of the hashashin, who would draw their opponents into submission rather than risk killing them.[1]
>While "Assassins" typically refers to the entire medieval Nizari sect, in fact only a class of acolytes known as the fida'i actually engaged in assassination work. Lacking their own army, the Nizari relied on these warriors to carry out espionage and assassinations of key enemy figures, and over the course of 300 years successfully killed two caliphs, and many viziers, sultans, and Crusader leaders.[3]
>Long after their near-eradication, mentions of Assassins were preserved within European sources – such as the writings of Marco Polo – where they are depicted as trained killers, responsible for the systematic elimination of opposing figures. The word "assassin" has been used ever since to describe a hired or professional killer, leading to the related term "assassination", which denotes any action involving murder of a high-profile target for political reasons.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassins

>Were the assassin's (Assassin's creed) based on an actual group?
Yes. If you paid attention: the Ismaili sect of Shia weirdos who hung around Masyaf.
>Similarities
They loved white (the color of the Fedayeen) and killed people.

They were based on a sect of Shia Nizari Ismaili's. The word "assassin" comes from the fact that their were called hashashins (cause of their supposed hashish habit).

Their main base of operations was Alamut, which was a mountain fortress in modern Iran where their leader resided.
However there was a cell working out of Damascus that had a bunch of fortresses there. The cell leader was similar to the master from the first game, and he was known as the "Old man of the Mountain" and would get in all kinds of wacky adventures against both Saladin and King Richard.

They were based off of the hashashim, who were essentially Ismaili extremists. They publicly assassinated (usually via dagger) Crusaders and Saracens alike. They were nothing like in the game, because they didn't have some noble mission to keep the Templars from controlling the world; they just fought because they thought the other Muslims were wrong and that the Crusaders were foreign invaders. The group was eventually wiped out by the Mongols, who kidnapped the leader and forced him to tell everyone to stop fighting. Ah, yes, and the leader; Al Mualim from the first game is based off of "The Old Man in the Mountain," the mysterious Third Crusade-Era leader of the terrorist group. The name HASHashim came about because he would allegedly encourage his followers to kill by letting them see "paradise" (got them high on weed and sent a bunch of women to serve their needs).

They mostly killed Muslim leaders. Killing Christians didn't work as well because Christians were more hierarchically organised. Even if you managed to kill a Christian leader his successor was already determined.
Also, an assassin would not resist arrest. He would die after the assassination.

DUDE

HASHISH

NOTHING IS REAL EVERYTHING IS PERMITED
DUDE

>could had made a perfectly fine game about medieval extremist stabbing crusaders in the throat
>have to ruin it by bringing in da vinci theory-tier conspiracy focused modern day metaplot

It was getting good until they randomly killed Desmond off, they should've ended it there

My two biggest gripes about Assassin's Creed III were that the very fucking moment Desmond starts doing anything besides walk around and talk to people, they killed him off, and that they tried to make the game edgy and murky with the good/evil dynamic and ended up making you the bad guy by accident. Desmond had some of the best killing moves in the game by the time you fight the security guards with a fucking Kabar. And all of the assassinations that Connor did were
>why did you kill me I'm actually doing the opposite of what you thought you fucked it all up

Assassin's creed 1 was basically this, the weird alien shit only started in 2 i think.

1's ending was ambiguous enough that it could have been religious or magical which was fine, but alas ubisoft is a bunch of morons

Haytham was way more enjoyable and interesting than Conner they should've made a game about him instead

They could've made a trilogy out of Haytham desu

All I wanted was Medieval Hitman. Was that too much to ask for?

No. Assassin's creed lore is like something a 12 year old would think up.

Asking for a semi-decent game from Ubisoft is already too much

Only a twelve year old would say that

>tfw the conspiracy fiction of genre is just a le illuminati ancient aliens meme now and can't be taken seriously by anyone but people will show up in droves to see capeshit

Who cares. Assassins are shit. Templars are the true heroes.

It was somewhat decent until the ancient aliens part.

Any of you guys thing the Assassin (Ismailis) are still around and all assassin's throughout history can be linked back to them? Think the guy who started WW1 or Oswald.

what I always found weird is that the assassins were Ismaili extremists and yet Altair was an atheist in the game.

I liked the first game a lot for the graphics and the unique setting. It was very repetitive but that didn't bother me too much.

Didn't like the other games though because of the whole modern day assassin conspiracy thing

>tfw the conspiracy fiction of genre is just a le illuminati ancient aliens meme now
makes you wonder who made it that way huh

LMAO

Alright Veeky Forums post your ideal Assassins creed settings, since somewhat non-generic, interesting locales and time periods is the only worthwhile thing about the franchise anyways

>Valley of Mexico, early 16th century
>Mughal India
>Southeast asia, 11th to 15th centuaries (Don't know enough about that region's history to be more specific)
>Russian revolution (It's already been in comics and side games but fuck you I want a full one)

>The name HASHashim came about because he would allegedly encourage his followers to kill by letting them see "paradise" (got them high on weed and sent a bunch of women to serve their needs).
In the game, Al Mualim says this is a myth put out by the Assassins themselves to make everyone think they were crazy motherfuckers.

Ass Creed - Old Dynasty
>implying that parkouring on unfinished pyramid of khufu wouldn't be great

I honestly would be fine with it if they hadn't overdid it and made literally everybody in history who was ever important ever either an assassin or a templar, it's fucking ridiculous.

This. You know what's more exciting than playing as an assassin in crusader era Jerusalem? Playing as some guy who is hallucinating as his ancestor who was an assassin in crusader era Jerusalem, and bringing the action to a grinding halt to talk about it ever so often

To be fair isn't that what all the victims in AssCree 1 say "what? We were trying to bring peace! It's your boss who's evil!"

>Samarkand
>Ptolemian Alexandria
>1800s St. Petersburg

Wikipedia lol. I love how everyone here just sources Wikipedia. Forget any actual source of knowledge.

Most of them try to justify their actions with noble intentions, but there was one asshole, the regent of Jerusalem, who did it because it felt good
>I killed them because I could. Because it was fun! Do you know what it feels like to determine another man's fate? And did you see the way the people cheered? The way they feared me? I was like a god!

this

Oh ancient athens would be boss as hell.

The apple of eden would be in the hand of the the athena statue in the parthenon. The city was pretty dense and crowded, great for assassins. Fucking Trireme battles. Possibly done during the peloponnesian war and have the spartans be templars and Athenians the assassins. Or flip flop it. Let it take place all over the mediterranean with Egypt and such.

>It was somewhat decent until the ancient aliens part
Ancient aliens is a really cool idea and a great idea for fiction, but then History channel's ancient aliens came along where people claimed it was real and it became a meme. It ruined everything.

>basin of mexico
yes, I've wanted this forever. My second choice is ancient egypt though, which they are getting around to now. Too bad I lost interest in the series a long time ago. Dropped it at 3.

I just wanted to murder my way through history.

Ass Creed 4 was decent, well at least the parts in which it was a pirate game instead of Assassins Creed game were decent, AC parts were pretty horrible.