What can you tell me about Native Americans?

What can you tell me about Native Americans?

Not much, despite the fact that I'm part Cherokee

Well, I can tell you that "Native Americans" is as useless a term as "Asians". The cultural differences between, say, the Inuit, Cherokee, and Aztecs is too great to discuss in anything but very broad, arbitrary statements.

they hunted and collected, also went on raids for women

Is this a good book about the natives? I got it for Christmas, haven't started it yet.

Yes.

Then the native Americans who would have been encountered in the contiguous 48 states

Literally Guns, Germs, and Steel tier

According to /pol/, Celtic people from Britain settled North America 10000 years before Amerindians.

Now, this might not be true but we live in a post-truth society where facts are made up and feelings dominate discourse.

European here
What are my chances to fug a cure redskin girl?
I wanted to fucc a qt redskin grill since I watched pocahontas

I know some of their language.
"Pow. Unga bunga bunga binga binga binga bunga."

I dunno, I imagine women fuging outside they're race is frowned upon as it is with most non-whites

Great book.
Well written and highlights plenty of stuff you probably know before but not connect/pay attention.

Their*, shit

Not him but there's a pretty large amount of variety there too. East coast natives didn't have anything in common with great plains natives and neither had anything in common with pacific northwest natives. I studied tribes of the pacific northwest in college so I know something of the various cultures that arose there since the tail end of the ice age.

You all descend from brown azn siberians who crossed the Bering strait 12000 years ago. Your not fooling anyone.

Go to a reservation, bring booze. They're all alcoholics. Also your odds of being stabbed, shot, or robbed jump the moment you set foot on the reservation and the tribal police are NOT interested in helping your white ass.

Really, don't fuck Indians. You're sticking your dick into someone that as often as not is going to come from a place that makes the most white trash trailer park in America seem nice.

Nope.

This. Tlingits were working metal, wearing wooden armor, and raiding for slaves when the east coast natives were busy living in the fucking stone age.

>The cultural differences between, say, the Inuit, Cherokee, and Aztecs is too great to discuss in anything but very broad, arbitrary statements.
Native American is a racial category.

What's your point? The only thing that knowledge is useful for is the study of medicine and evolution, really.

pocahontas is a fake Indian

According to who? One shitposter?
Fuck off, /pol/ just thinks they're drunks.

Solutreanist threads seem to pop-up at least once a week there.

Like I said before, it doesn't matter if it's true or not.
If Alt-Right manages to make Native Americans afraid that it might be true then it is indistinguishable from reality in current post-truth western society.
I don't think there is evidence for it myself but I'm an old fashioned person and evidence is irrelevant in current age.

I'm not native, I just had an interest in studying the tribes of the area in which I live. And current study suggests that a coastal migration was how humans first reached the Americas, not the land bridge. Because there are sites in the Americas (Paisley Cave, Mont Verde, Meadowrock etc) that date back to before the overland route was accessible, yet are not old enough to have been before the Last Glacial Maximum. Which means they could have only come to the Americas via some other route.

>Alt-Right
Doesn't exist.
Do you know how fast that board is? Once a week is nothing. One shitposter probably makes them, and 50 of their 5000 population play along for fun.
Don't be a faggot, Dick Sitter.
Drink another shot.

PNW Native Americans were chill, technologically advanced for the Americas, good traders, and never really caused too many problems in America.

East Coast Natives got hosed by the Europeans a lot and a few tribes got together in multiple instances and tried to resist the European Colonials. With the exception of the Seminole, they all failed.

Great Lakes Native Americans were pretty much the same deal as East Coast Native Americans.

Great Plains Native Americans were mostly hunter-gatherers for centuries and had small range until the reintroduction of horses. AFter that the tribes became more nomadic, followed the buffalo for food, and developed strong war-cultures. If someone refers to the Indian Wars of the late 19th century, they're likely referring to Plains Indians conflicts.

The Southwest Native Americans are separated into two camps: Pre-climate change drought of 14th century and post-climate change drought of 14th century. After the SW became more arid, most of the tribes died out or had to turn to raiding to secure resources. To this day, the Najavo and Apache are still kicking with the Navajo having a massive reservation around the Four Corners and the Apache being known for their guerilla warfare successes against both Mexico and the US.

>PNW Native Americans were chill
Depends on the era. They fought their share of wars, particularly the ancient tribes in what is now British Columbia. But in the last 2000 or so years the settlements on the Columbia Plateau were fairly peaceful and were happy to trade with Europeans. Maybe it comes from having a more sedentary culture? They had fairly developed societies with specialized labor and a land-owning caste and everything.

I was keeping it to past 2000 years or so. They were happy to trade because most of the Pacific Coast was about trading. They've found that the Pacific Coast had a trading culture since the 800s where shells and rocks were being exchanged for goods.

Also, consider the circumstances of why they were fairly peaceful and happy to trade with Europeans. The PNW is filled with resources and fertile lands to farm with seas to fish and woods to hunt. The weather is fairly stable so the region itself isn't volatile. It's not like the Southwest where food and water are commodities or the NE where winters can be brutal, life is good in the PNW.

They aren't actually native.

>life is good in the PNW.
That it is. I'm an Oregon resident myself and can attest to the mild weather and abundance of food. Yearly salmon runs and wild tubers and vegetables are everywhere. Natives have been harvesting salmon out of the Columbia for thousands of years, and I remember correctly it was developing new methods of rapidly curing and and storing salmon that led the population explosion in the 1400s or so.

As native as any group can claim to be. Humans were all nomads at one point, until they settled down.

Nothing much other than their mass genocide committed by their invaders.

Let the USA fall.

Is hating this book just /pol/ damage control?

When I read it (about a year ago) I remebered it as being accurate, well written and interesting. I've never heard anything about him getting facts wrong very frequently, so I feel like the correct answer to my question is "yes".

It was disease, you worthless leftist dicksucker.

>It was disease

Epic meme.

Come back to me when you've actually read a book and the first hand accounts of the monks.

From my experience as a police officer, I only see them as useless lazy drunks who get themselves arrested too often. I used to think to myself that they are not as bad as people make them out to be, but through personal experiences and interactions, my view was altered deeply even if I don't want to be racist.

I was thinking about this and how so many of them are genetically predisposed to alcoholism.

It's because they're a fucking genetic bottleneck and there is a lack of genetic diversity.

le genetics

Perhaps it is because you Americans stole from them all that they had and now steal from them in money and abuse them in alcoholism which you have created?

What country you from?

They have reserves where only they exist and still have almost nigger level crime rates in their reserves.

I drive through a reservation every day, and have a niece that goes to school on one. It's amazing to see how run down the buildings are directly after driving onto reservation land. As for my niece, she says that none of the native kids are there to really learn, and they insults whites by calling them "niggers".

Why do they all have to be the same to talk about them?

>Americans created alcoholism
kys

Would like to actually suggest a book or do you just want to throw a fit since someone disagrees with you?

some had style

Can you post these accounts?

Because there's lots of documentation for pox killing everyone.

They didn't fuck around when it came to killing each other.

Iruquois tribes had a ritual called Mourning Torture where when a member of their tribe died his buddies would go out and kidnap a dude from another native tribe and they would torture the shit out of him for a few hours until A) he died B) he cried out in pain, at which point they killed him or C) he toughed it out and was now considered a replacement for the guy who died and was accepted into their tribe

Who was the most important or influential historical figure of Native American descent in history?

Chief Pontiac probably

Tupac Amaru, Benito Juarez

Ultra-hard mode: Winston Churchill and François Miterrand

I am one and I have had a very positive life in general in my Native American community. Sure there are problems here like everywhere else but we try to solve them and I have seen things getting much better for ourselves and how people in other nearby communities treat one another.

I remember when I was a kid I was constantly followed around in stores because they thought I was going to rob the place. These days people don't pay anymore attention to me than any other customer.

Not even that long of a period of time to be honest as I am still in my 20s and the way things are going for my community it really gives me hope for the future.

>I studied tribes of the pacific northwest in college so I know something of the various cultures that arose there since the tail end of the ice age.
alright, so tell us about them

Eskimo is a perfectly valid term

Simón Iturri Patiño.

Yes we've covered this you dumb fuck.
Imagine if he asked "What can you tell me about the Europeans"
Well shit, where do you start? Nords? Gauls? Franks? Prussians? Italy? The Swiss? The UK? The USSR? The HRE? Nazi Germany?
Or do you just make broad, vague strokes about all of them because hey they all have a common ancestor

Except we know fuck all compared to Europe because writing only existed in mesoamerica and a lot of it was destroyed anyway.

So what we just assume that everybody in that neck of woods was identical and should be painted with the same brush?

No you go into details about what you do know, it not being much. Any more head-scratchers?

imo the coolest thing is that there was reworked chinese pig iron found among west coast native artifacts. imagining how it got there brings up a lot of interesting possibilities.

>Great Plains Native Americans were mostly hunter-gatherers for centuries and had small range until the reintroduction of horses.
though individual groups had short range, the entire great plains themselves were in a sense engineered by natives that resided in it. forests and lowgrowth were burned away for centuries to expand grazing area for game. worked like a charm with the buffalo.

>reintroduction of horses
Can you expand on this?

Americans ate the horses they had.

Europeans bough horses to the new world.

Horses in north America escape, some red niggers learn to ride them, tribes proceed to unleash absolute hell on everyone around them, eventually get slapped down by the united states.

>PNW Native Americans were chill

Except for, y'know, the frequent slave raids.

They were chill with whites, and that's all that matters.

Well, until we took their slaves away.

The savage is a savage

not really americans

t.underage faggot know-it-all

>steal all they had
>no concept of land ownership or ownership otherwise

Okay

Where the hell does this dipshit meme come from?

people pretend indians had anything stolen from them,

I myself don't know why

there was nothing to steal

The natives were a myth. There was no america at the time of colombus so how can they be native americans?? They was just tribes on the land. Thats why I find it offensive that indians are called native americans.

this guy gets it

Crazy Horse & Jim Thorpe

Slaves among native American tribes were more "forced adoption" than out and out slavery.
You were still a slave, but eventually you took on the clan name and got equal standing formally. You might still be given shit work and made fun of by the rest of the clan, but now it was family bullying instead of slavery.
It wasn't good. But more importantly, it was super weird.

That's not how Tlingit slaves worked at all. You might be freed at a potlatches.... or you might be ritually murdered just to prove how fucking rich your owner is. Or be randomly sold to a passing merchant vessel as a sex slave for whatever bauble caught masters eye.

This.
Also, "Native American" is so condescending, it's like saying "Sorry we fucked your shit, here's a name that proves you were here first."

>literally getting this triggered by a name

Grad student here. You should read this book, or be spoon fed terrible replies. Your choice.
>pic related