When the huns were invading hungary the knights would cry out 'there are HUNdreds of them

>when the huns were invading hungary the knights would cry out 'there are HUNdreds of them
>that's why they're called the huns
cool historical facts thread?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UOmRbEPn4Do
veekyforums.com/thread/2169509/history/cool-historical-facts-thread.html
veekyforums.com/thread/2143497/history/i-ve-been-here-since-veeky-forums-was-founded-but.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

i know one:
To non latin speakers the sound of the language of the tribes to the north sounded like "Bar Bar Bar" so they called them Barbarians

When the Romans were attempting to invade what is now Germany, their were so many of them that the Romans said that they were "Like germs, man." To this day, we call people from that region Germans.

Ancient Babylonians talked a lot, so people complained about how they'd "Babble on", hence the name Babylon. An alternative origin is that they had the first lawns, and as such "Baby lawns", although this etymology is disputed.

Japan didn't actually exist until the Chinese started to write about it. Before then it was underwater, and rose to the surface in a catastrophic volcanic event that historians refer to as "The Big Kablooie". The change is climate was directly responsible for the fall of the Western Roman Empire.

When winter fell, germans lost. This is why we have germs theory.

When US was fighting the bears in the wilderness, they tamed some. This was included in the constitutions as "right to bear arms"

>directly responsible for the fall of the western Roman Empire
That's how I know your memeing

The word "Denmark" comes from "Then Mark". Bert the Great threw the kingdom into chaos and ended up being assassinated by his brother, Mark, who restored the kingdom back to glory. He renamed the kingdom from "Berland" to "Then Mark" or "Denmark" to show this.

It's commonly believed he had 20 wives and 40 sons. This is the reason Vikings were called Vikings, from "Vi kings" or "We kings", since it's believed that the majority of Danish people can trace their heritage back to Mark.

WUZ

no.

The holocaust happened.

>non latin
non-Greek*

When Caesar crossed the tiber river he came across a tribe called the getae with long stringy hair. Thats where spaghetti originates

Canada got his name from a discoverer from Brunswick in Germany.
When he first set fot on the land which hence was called New Brunswick, he gazed into the vast, deserted landscape and declared "kaana da!", which translates to "nobody here"

KINGS

Canada is some forest nigger word for villiage

T. Canuck

The stereotype of a viking using horned helmets comes from the battle of Dunwich, where vikings, disguised as cattle, snuck inside a monastery, and killed its civillian inhabitants.

This thread cracks me up.

I know it's trolling, but it still makes me mad to read these "facts"

Fun fact the first romans was ruled by kings who was black. Tarquinius superbus the last black king of rome was overthrown by the whiteys who ruled rome for a couple of centuries. Until sulla the great black general overthrew the whiteys and exterminated them in the social war. Now blacks was running rome again and a whitey wasnt seen in the region again until it was sacked by alaric and the whiteys eventually killed or sent the black romans to africa. Julius caesar was black.
Stay mad white boi

It's well known that that the divine Julius had epilepsy. His actual name was Julius "Seizure" but it got corrupted into "Caesar".

Damn, I want to punch you so hard...

What i do?? Read a book foo this is history

It's all in good fun.
Joking and trolling are two different things.

The name Aaron comes from a drunken misspelling of a thank you note from the Abbasid Caliph.

The Abbasid Caliph, Harun al-Rashid was eager to have a friend in his bid against the Iberian Caliphate under the Umayyads. Charlemagne was an easy choice in that regard. Whether honestly as a friend, or in an attempt to gather a powerful enemy on the Umayyad's northern border, Harun opened political talks with the Frankish king. The two courts kept in contact through the years.

Charlemagne was following both political and religious duties in Europe. Not meaning to be a "hero", the Frankish king found himself carrying a massive amount of power, responsibility, money, and political weight. He was crowned by the Pope as protector of Christianity, Europe, and frankly the Pope himself. The winter came swiftly, so Charlemagne rushed home with his army and heerbaan. When he got back to Aachen, word arrived of Harun wanting to send a lavish set of gifts in honor of Charles's rise to power. He commissioned a fleet and the small treasure arrived a year later.

The treasure was great... but the true gift was a trained elephant by the name of Abul-Abbas. Apparently Charlie loved the pachyderm so much that he rode it around the capital for days. To thank Harun for such an amazing gift, many caskets of wine were sent to Harun. He apparently did not send it away because he drank enough to eagerly commission a thank you letter. The scribe wrote furiously as his Caliph droned on. He eventually finished and wanted to signed the document. Although his caligraphy was on point, he also wanted to sign using the Latin letters of his name. Try as he did, the name eventually scribbled out as: "Aarun". The H was skewed too badly to read. The letter arrived in Charlemagne's court where many of the nobles and scribes talked about the name. Apparently it caught on because we still have the double A spelling today.

My college prof told me this story years ago. True or not, it's nifty

funny how these things happen, this is the true power of memes

You forget that most of the posters here have crippling autism.

I give it another ten years before kids either are named Pepe or have the nickname

Too late man, it's already happening

>"The Big Kablooie"
heh

When I think about it, I may be the one with autism because he probably joked about "this is how I know you meme'd" since the fall of Rome is meme material and it's obvious the previous stuff would set of red flags and alarm bells.

nah, you're just slow, and then the western roman empire fall

When you see the word "ye" as in "ye olde shoppe" it's not supposed to be pronounced "yee" but "the". This is because the "y" is not actually a latin y but a corrupted version of the Anglo-Saxon rune thorn which made a "th" sound (pic related). Over time scribes got lazier in their writing until the letter looked like a y so they just used a y even thought the pronunciation was different.

Wasn't that the letter Eth, not Thorn?

Also had to do with printing presses.

Yes and no.

Thorn () makes the "th" sound as in "think", "through", "through".

Eth () makes the "th" sound as in "this", "that", "they", "them".

But of course both could be used interchangeably in some instances because lolnostandardorthography.

I've heard it's a result of printing pieces coming largely from Germany, and the Germans did not make thorn prints, so the English just adopted the closest thing (y).

I was aware of the different sounds, that's why I mentioned eth. I had no idea they could be interchanged, however.

>Thorn () makes the "th" sound as in "think", "through", "through".
>Eth () makes the "th" sound as in "this", "that", "they", "them".
Those words are pronounced the same, though.

youtube.com/watch?v=UOmRbEPn4Do

Thorn is the th sound at the end of 'teeth'

Eth is the TH sound at the middle of 'father'.

Thorn is voiceless, Eth is voiced.

That's the thing with Veeky Forums, and maybe the internet as a whole. You can't be certain if its irony or autism.

Don't forget Latin supplanting runic alphabet as a system of writing. Though some scandic developed a newer medieval runes set to use.

But Hundred is an English word, not a Latin word

If you have trouble understanding when something is irony or not on theinternet, just like this thread you are mentally challenged.

>Huns
>Hungary
>Knights

They had lightsabers too

>The Jewish infection agents in white countries would often distort the society, try to collapse its foundation and manipulate the white population into destroying itself, often posing as one of the tribe (e.g. A Jew in Germany says "we have to accept refugees because of our history 1933 - 1945" [1488]). After demolishing each white Christian nation into disaster the Jews were often asked "Why did you do this?". This phrase was often misheard as "Why did Joo do this" or "Why did Jew do this".

Henceforth, "Jews" became existant

Austria was named after Australia. The German settlers who went there noted the abundance of kangeroos and named it so.

The slavs east of Germany were massive fans of dreamworks movies. The land was named Poland because Po, from Kung Fu Panda, was one of their favorite characters. Another story from this name follows this same principal, but rather comes from the reactions of the Polish people to Disney animations. They were said to be "Po-faced".

Italy got its name from the phrase "It lays in middle of the Mediterranean". This is in reference to the position of Italy on a world map. The "a" in lay got its position moved due to a translation error.

Wait I thought it was home.

Kanata I'd village.

Or do I have it backwards

T.Otherleaf

Austria and Australia were named after Osten meaning "east" in German

Austria is east of HRE/Germany and Australia is east of civilization

The Germans didn't name Australia asshole

It's a joke.
This is a fake facts thread.

The Austria thing is actually true though, so it made me believe his post was serious

> veekyforums.com/thread/2169509/history/cool-historical-facts-thread.html
wat

>Norway's name came from when vikings were asked for directions from where they came
>They would point north and say NorWay (North Way)

The funny thing is just that Australia from Terra Australis (lat. Name of mystic continent at the south pole) means Land in the South

Nice one
This story is literaly older than the internet

I may be newfagging here, but the whole site seems to be a copy of Veeky Forums, why does it exist?
Also:
>veekyforums.com/thread/2143497/history/i-ve-been-here-since-veeky-forums-was-founded-but.html
They even replace Veeky Forums with Veeky Forums

Antium was an italian city, nowadays it's called Anzio. Lots of people there left the city because they got bored and sailed to the Bosphorus, they settled there and named the place Byzantium, a combination of 'bye' and their old city Antium. Historians still debate today where the Z is from.

Not all of it, that's what makes it exciting.

>Being this new

Kek

Is it some kind of archive? What?

When the Nazis were about to implement the Final Solution, they realized that they had to buy land on which they could build their concentration camps. A Nazi officer was traveling occupied Poland looking for a suitable site, when he came across a large hollow near the sleepy village of Auschwitz. Finding the place perfectly suited to the Reich's purposes, the officer went up to the house of the local landowner, knocked on the door, and asked "How much does this hollow cost?"

Thus, the term 'Holocaust' entered the modern lexicon.

The term 'Anno Domini' translates from Latin as 'Another Domino'.

The Romans considered years to be like dominoes cascading into one another as time went on.

Kek

>the vandals were called the vandals because they sacked rome like a bunch of vandals

this blew my mind

I thought Pepe was a real name already

Is this a new meme?

Historical inaccuracies and ironic shitposting are what makes Veeky Forums historical.

Chinks/russians money laundering using bots reposting our posts

It's 2016, you should've had enough exposure to idiomatic nigger speak to be able to emulate it better than this you stupid fag