Do we have free will?

Do we have free will?

Free will is a myth. The only things free are the monies i get from da government every month

You have no control of your subconscious thoughts and actions, but you do make decisions in your conscious mind.

No

God loved us so much he gave us free will, so yes it does exist

imagine, you are taken out of your body and put into a machine where you only see as if you would a PC simulator game.

Only, this game is open-world and starts as it would, someplace in the middle. That is essentially life, just without the human needs.

Is there free-will in that existence? possibly. Only, your position in perceptual 'space-time', relative everything else, might make me think that the actual execution and use of choice - apart from those moments we think we are choosing but its often the 'only' choice - is about 10 % of our lives.

Then again, this amount of free will probably increases with how inactive we individually are; as, presumably, a more active person would be 'caught up' in the act of life - where the lazy thinker sees opportunities (like the 'secretary problem'). This might make the application of actual free-will, throughout ones life, about a 30%.

The rest is a rat running through a maze.

Then, add in human needs. Sex, Food, Water,contentment,safety.

Then, add in human emotions: fear, sadness,joy

then add in pain, and pleasure

then add in death, or the knowledge of such

How much free-will do we actually possess?

I imagine, it is someplace between being asked , "Would you like to super-size that", and "paper or plastic"

yes but stability allows it to be maintained

It really depends on what you mean by "free will."

Can you choose what you want?
Can you choose to act in a way that does not achieve what you want at any point in time?

underrated

Wait, what?
I don't get it.

That presupposes that a god exists, which we have no reason to believe.

>>>/reddit/

This Do we have metaphysical libertarianism? Probably not. We are a creature in some sense bound by our nature and nurture, so in that sense your mind can hardly be said to be the unadulterated source of your actions, because your mind is an amalgam of many things outside your control.

That said, does that mean people don't have moral responsibility for their actions? No, it doesn't. We wouldn't have a civilization at all, if we didn't believe in moral responsibility.

This is one of those things people will argue about forever, like the existence of God.

So we should live a lie?

Is morality a lie?

except how complicated and perfect the natural laws are for making life possible?

>>>/*insert ad hominem*/

It doesn't matter.

Reddit shill detected
>no reason to believe
Books
Yes, anyone saying anything to the contrary is not making a rational decision (their decision is really not their own, they themselves have no free will, no agency, you and I are the heroes of this story) since rationality is independent of metaphysics because metaphysical propositions can be false yet rational ones can not be.
This is a good post.
>We are a creature in some sense bound by our nature and nurture, so in that sense your mind can hardly be said to be the unadulterated source of your actions, because your mind is an amalgam of many things outside your control.
proofs?
I mean, that seems to contradiction the rationale which it relies upon.
To undercut Reason in a reasonable way so to speak.
You don't get a vote.
The argument is settled.
You know how when you make a promise and you don't want to keep it?
You are debating whether or not the lie is true or untrue, you affecting the outcome of an eternal proposition "is 'x' true", since it is a question of moral principles which are by their nature eternal.
This is what morality is like.
>Is morality a lie?
So, is it?

>You are debating whether or not the lie is true or untrue

No, I am debating whether or not it matters for a human being's life whether or not metaphysical libertarianism is actually true or false.

There's a tremendous amount of "facts" about reality, that can literally have no relation to your life, or how you live it.

Operations of reason are conducted within beings who are subjects of metaphysical inquiry. Rational decisions cannot be "out there" like pure abstractions.

>your thoughts are controlled by autonomous microscopic structures
>free will

Choose one retard.

No.

Consciousness and our "will" is only the product of our physical brains. A significantly advanced computer, or a god, could know and understand every physical piece, knowing how those pieces interacted would show it not just our current thoughts but how we would react to each and every stimuli.

>rational propositions cannot be false
Like "there are no round squares"?