Why were there so many new age cults in the 20th century?

Oswald Spengler
Substitute religion

How'd you get a pic of girlfriend, user?

An excuse to get high and have orgies.

Also because mainstream religions are too mainstream, man.

19th century had more and bigger cults, they were just christian cults so they blended in a little more. New age cults happened because international travel and communication got cheaper so asian texts and missionaries became more common in the west. It seems like there were so many of them because they're in living memory and the other ones aren't.

Because proper spirituality and mysticism has all but been destroyed in this modern age, so people look towards the closest thing that resonates with them, regardless of whether or not what they follow is misleading or lies.

I don't think there will be a stranger time for religion than spiritualists getting together and making world famous industries like Kellogs and Oneida.

new wealth brought many bored middle classes with too much leisure time and money

Because traditional religion structures started to completely erode and people tried to find a cheap substitution.

I was born in a communist country where atheism and science was the official doctrine and after the iron curtain fell, ordinary people started getting into all kinds of spiritual healing, anal chakra opening, numerology, nordic aliens and magic crystals tier horseshit.

Disillusionment with modern life combined with a rejection of old world beliefs leaves you hugging crystals, I guess.

>anal chakra opening
Wonder what that feels like...

Heaven's Gate master race reporting in

Less Social pressure against cults, such as them not being legal in medieval Christian Europe or whatever
Increase in media consumption, message can reach more people
There were always cults or cult-like things to occupy peoples time, like regional versions of religion, ancestory worship, etc
the "new age" aspect of it is just a result of the culture of our times

The cult of kek is the one true religion

Why does this woman have an ass on her crotch?

Because before that everyone joined old age cults obviously

>20th Century
>posts #BLM

There's always been cults. This isn't restricted to 20th/21st centuries.

The 19th century had the Mormons (on the religious end) and the Know-Nothings (on the secular end), to name just two.

OP here. The BLM thing was for lulz, I didn't mean to imply it was a cult or anything.

In all seriousness, bored people with no real hobbies or goals to occupy them.

Slaanesh