Why is the state the only body we give a monopoly of violence to?

Why is the state the only body we give a monopoly of violence to?

If we gave it to someone else it wouldn't be a monopoly.

You could give it just to me, though.

state is defined by the monopoly of violence
if we gave it to you, then by definition, you would be the state

Then you'd be the state, for all I care.

What's with that pic?

why can't we let the free market fix it?

Hunter X Hunter

Violence = Resisting Entropy
Resisting Entropy = Hindering the Universe in its ultimate goal, to become completely homogenous

Therefore, violence is consolidated and minimized so entropy can continue.

You remind me of these guys

In Mexico it's not, they share permitted violence with big cartels, but that doesn't work well. I'm not saying it's necessarily right, but the answer is pretty straight forward. The state gets a monopoly on violence because the people can hold them accountable. If the people can't hold them accountable then we're not giving them a monopoly on violence, so much as them just having one.

I'm not being cultish, it would be great if we could resist entropy. Those guys are retarded anyway, humans are probably the biggest agents of entropy on the Earth, killing or destroying them removes the potential for highly orders structures such as oil to be broken down quickly. Really they should've fought to keep humans alive and ecourage their consumption.

Because of the social contract, read your Hobbes.

>when you sell all your military industrial infrastructure to the warlord across the street in exchange for some child sex slaves and no longer have a monopoly on violence so you accidentally get high off of your new child sex slave-run meth manufacturing business's ventilation system and stumble into the warlord's yard violating the NAP so he kills you with the sidewinder missiles you used to have in stock

spook

>Why is the state the only body we give a monopoly of violence to?

It isn't the only body. The state grants people the ability to use legitimate force all the time, e.g private military contractors.

The state in that idea is a modern conception. The roman consuls had the right to conscript any citizen or kill them for refusal, But the pater familias had power of life and death over anyone in his household. So in rome, there was no such monopoly.

Plus in most countries beating your wife used to be legal, so there was very rarely a monopoly on violence.

Because that's the whole point in having a state, you limit violence by making it the exclusive right of the state.

Because totally harmless riots like those in Ferguson happen if you give it to all people.

Because people value protection more than freedom

Whoever has the monopoly on force established that monopoly with their force to begin with. Nobody 'gave' it anything. The ruling body of any society is always formed by the exceptionally wealthy minority anyway.

>monopoly of violence

This term pisses me off. You know what it is like when groups are competing for statehood? Its called war

Your post fell apart when you mentioned slaves. Slavery is anti - liberty therfore anti - anarchy

Ararchists have the freedom to sell themselves into slavery. See debt bondage.

>we give
The "state" is pretty much a self-perpetuating meme that has taken on the monopoly of violence as a essential quality. A truly pacifist "state" cannot exist outside a utopia (no place) because it needs the monopoly of violence to express itself and pass itself along. Without force, the "state" is just another meme.

it's a meme you dip

Because government is founded to protect the means of production and their owners.

"Free will" and "religion" are themselves memes. They aren't expressed and passed on as seriously as before because they no longer have associated memes like "violence" or "art/propaganda" to help them be expressed/propagated.

Then what the FUCK is the ufc huh faggot?

It's not though? UFC, Wushu, Boxing, any form of martial arts.

Because in the West people tend to view shit like blood feuds and private militias battling in the streets as a bad thing

lmao get a load of these chucklefucks

A sovereign state requires a monopoly over violence, otherwise other states or internal conflict will destroy it.

Go sneak onto Antarctica and live there if it bothers you so much.

Welcome home