If you had to choose to be in an army commanded by a historical general. Who would it be, and why?

If you had to choose to be in an army commanded by a historical general. Who would it be, and why?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bn-7UtKNuwE
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_team
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Patton's Third Army

no question

To do my bit.

Sulla, without a doubt

>never lost a war
>oh wait lol scratch that, never lost a single battle
>encouragingly low casulaties for the winning side (his side) every time
>plunder/bonuses and promotions wherever I go
>monstrous efficiency and winning spirit
>get to fugg Italian, Greek, and Anatolian qts
>retire with a nice plump plot of land, maybe even a Senate seat after earning a corona

Either Alexander or Charles XII.

Norman swarzkopf. I get to fight, almost no chance of so much as stubbing my toe.

THIRTEEN!

Alexander

obviously Napoleon

Spartacus
[spoiler]I wanna die[/spoiler]

Napoleon
>ywn experience Napoleon comeback from Elbe

Sallust. More like a Lt. but after the war was over he got to fuck slave girls and trash talked Caesars enemies.

>choosing a scientifically proven inferior general
youtube.com/watch?v=bn-7UtKNuwE

Subutai

>Campaign all across the mongol empire
>Almost conquer Europe (before being called off due to Death of khan and re-election process)

If I was to be transported back in time, I'd go with him. Then tell him of the future so he could plan ahead and conquer Europe/Mideast/Africa/Asia/Etc

Mongols would then truly be the world's largest and most expansive empire by a zillion mile.

>youtube.com/watch?v=bn-7UtKNuwE
I know you might be joking but I fucking hate American TV.

>>Almost conquer Europe (before being called off due to Death of khan and re-election process)

When will this meme end.

>During the summer and autumn of 1241, most of the Mongol forces were resting on the Hungarian Plain. In late March, 1242, they began to withdraw. The most common reason given for this withdrawal is the Great Khan Ögedei's death on December 11, 1241, which supposedly forced the Mongols to retreat to Mongolia so that the princes of the blood could be present for the election of a new great khan. This is attested to by one primary source: the chronicle of Giovanni da Pian del Carpine, who after visiting the Mongol court, stated that the Mongols withdrew for this reason; he further stated that God had caused the Great Khan's death to protect Latin Christendom.[32] However, this contradicts the Mongol accounts; a high minister and historian of the Mongol Ilkhanate, Rashid Al-Din, explicitly states in his records that the Mongols were not aware of Ögedei's death when they began their withdrawal.[33] Rashid's account more accurately reflects reality, as by Carpini's account, a messenger would have to be able to make the journey from Mongolia to Central Europe in a little over three months in the middle of winter. Carpini himself accompanied a Mongol party in a much shorter journey (from Kiev to Mongolia) during the summer and fall of 1246, where the party "made great speed" in order to reach the election ceremony in time, and made use of several horses per person while riding nearly all day and night. It took five months.[34]

Why did Napelon get off the horse? He had the high ground yo.

Based Gaius Juilius Caesar

This

Would have loved to spear Persians at Gaugamela

Mongol party and courier travel at different speed.

Regular mongol cavalry could travel 100 miles per day in war scenarios, the Hungary conquests. Thats roughly 160KM per day. Mongol Yam system, the courier service, had to be faster than regular cavalry this is why they had an efficient delivery system that could go faster than the regular army or at the very least, match their speed. Lets say the 160 KM per day is the max mongols army could travel per day. If the courtier matched that speed, it would take roughly 1 month and 1 week from Mongolia to Hungary. Due to road hazards and such, if we remove the service 50% efficiency, it would be roughly 80 KM per day (10 kmph for 8 hours, light human jogging speed). That would take 75 days. Roughly 2 and half months.

This is a low ball number too, so Dec 11 to late March (lets say 20th of march) is roughly 99 days. 99-75 days = 24 days of decision making delays.

These numbers easily show that the mongol could communicate between the two areas with ease.

Plus when you have a European impression of the mongol cavalry speed, they'd be easily impressed. Even a regular mongol cavalry speed could easily be "made great speed." The reason mongols were so effective were their logistics capabilities. Their ability to travel 100+ km easily per day. Those types of speed is something European armies could only dream of in heaven. The average European army travel speed is probably around 10-15 miles per day (~20+- 5 KM).

Rashid's account is the main bit, however since he mainly resided in Persia, information may not be perfect.

XIII!!

What the fuck?

>Depressed
>Want to die

Field Marshal Douglas Haig please.

This picture makes me wonder, does the constant depiction of good guys in blue and bad guys in red (mostly in video games granted, but I feel there have been more examples in other media and in toys) go back to the anglo french rivalry in the middle ages and the napoleonic wars? Or is it just colour based due to the symbolism behind the colours (red aggressive etc).

Good guys in red, bad guys in blue desu

Gilles de Rais, for the kids.

Red Army during WW2

I'll make Zhukov look like a fucking pacifist

Constantine XI
> Constantinople finally fell to the Ottomans after a two-month siege on 29 May 1453. The last Byzantine emperor, Constantine XI Palaiologos, was last seen casting off his imperial regalia and throwing himself into hand-to-hand combat after the walls of the city were taken

All the possible choices throughout all of history, and you want to cower in an isolated city until the Turks break in and eviscerate you?

>Yanks seriously believe Washington was in the same league as Napoleon
>He's not even their best general/can barely be said to be a general at all
This is some central asian "we best in da world" shit right here.

>ywn be part of a Calvary Companion charge that decides the future of the western world
>ywn ride knee to knee with your best friends behind the greatest man to ever live, racing for glory and godhead

No, you'd sperg out and lose Russia the war

Sulla was a widely known homsexual.

the hell?

>yfw this what burgers actually believe

>Charles XII
You go hungry for half the war and freeze to death in Norway. If the Russians don't get you first, that is.
Napoleon. Vive l'Empereur!
I go hungry for half the war and freeze to death in Russia. If the Russians don't get me first, that is.

>Napoleon Bonaparte, the bloodthirsty French emperor whose maniacal dream was to conquer the world. Or George Washington, the American hero who against all odds defeated the mighty British army.
I REEEEEd with the force of a thousand suns. How they managed to cram so many misconceptions in two sentences is beyond me. Man, burgers need to be exterminated for the good of the whole world.

Every roman man was a widely known homosexual you fucking moron

As an unwilling occupant of the American people I wholeheartedly agree
But be careful "we" spend half of "our" """""resources""""""" building "defenses" to kill anyone and everything that doesn't want to lie down and take our ""freedom""
God bless y'all
>tfw soon will not be able to say things like this without a trip to state interment camp

Don't worry on the 11th Trump will announce that it was all a joke and shillary will take his place.

Hurray?

>following the man who throws off his regalia in order to escape the city as a peasant
His death and the death of the Greek Vassalate were a mercy to mankind.

you know Euros hate self-hating americunts even more than they hate the regular kind of americunt, right?

mainly because you're pathetic as fuck bro

Not Augustus, he was a Hebephile.

>Augustus
>the guy who Caesar pumped full of hot cum via the tight hairless boipucci
>not homosexual

k

Alexander

>tfw thousands of years later some poo in the loo inhereted my autism.

>judging an entire people based on a stupid pop culture show

I guess we can judge all of British Academia based on "Willy No Mates", then?

George McClellan

Prince Edward's army at the Battle of Evesham.

Luigi Cadorna

RIP user

there are competing reports that he merely hanged himself when he heard the turks had broken through

Conflicting reports by a venetian who wasn't even there

He's underrated in my opinion, held the austrians and germans at bay

Oh come on Anons, who believes this shit anymore but Byzaboos and Turkophobes?
>tore off his regalia and charged into the enemy
More like
>tore off his regalia and tried to flee in disguise

Good luck in India

Are they, are they seriously comparing Washington to Napoleon?

Americans stop embarrasing yourselves.

>Not settling down in a bactrian frontier town with your qt after the Persian campaign

What did happen to Alexanders soliders after his death, I imagine they looted enough for five lives.
How many continued to serve diadochi

Those indo aryans probably didn't exist before roman exploits, atleast not in great numbers they did afterwards.

J.E.B. Stuart

Sorry that's stonewall

>ywn Fight in the Red Army during WW2 and put the Eternal Teuton in his place.

>ywn campaign with Basil II against the muslims and Bulgars.

Napoleon
No other man loved his men as much

>loved his men
>tramped across Europe and led them into a freezing wasteland for his own megalomania

How the fuck do you people buy into this shit?

No, he isn't.

He was shit, through and through

Wait, nobody here wants to charge into battle on top of an elephant under Hannibal's leadership? Disapointed senpai

The Army of Liechtenstein, no doubt
>Go off to war with your friends
>80 of you and your lads guarding a mountain pass
>some Austrian comes in
>befriend him with our meals of Käsknöpfle mit Apfelmus and end up drinking cider all night with him
>get called home
>bring your new buddy home with you
>suddenly the army to suffer the least casualties at -1, cementing your place in history forever
Literally the fucking best.

>

what in the fuck did i just watch

Conrad von Hotzendorf

Cause I want to get fucked in the ass 12 times.

you should pick Diaz at least

French cavalry under Charlemagne

Good, more women for me and I can go to Sulla for advice on how my toga looks best on me.

Joan of Arc.
It is pretty self-explanatory as to why I would want to be under her command.

UNDER
N
D
E
R

I wanna ride an elephant

Subotai

Guy was a beast, a tactical genius, his army had no match and Europe would have been BTFO'd had it not the mongols had to return to Mongolia after Khagan's death

The Mauryan Army under Chandragupta.

Need to spear some dirty greek mlecchas invading the homeland

>Those indo aryans probably didn't exist before roman exploits, atleast not in great numbers they did afterwards.
The Greeks didn't leave that much of a genetic legacy in India m8.

Romans never even came to India you brickhead.

And generalizing a population of 1.3 billion using two photos is a level of autism usually not seen even on this sumerian clay tablet forum.

> you will never fight for Mehmed the Conqueror
> you will never siege Constantinople
> you will never bravely fight side-by-side with your Turkic Muslim brothers
> you will never bless Constantinople to Istanbul and a symbol of pride for muzzies everywhere

>not mentioning the Hero of Sack of Baghdad, Hulagu

Burn down the pride of muzzies and show then the mongol power.

>Romans never even came to India you brickhead.

>Napoleonic Frances left in the world - 0.
>Murricas left in the world - 1.

Keep those tears coming.

Seriously, though, I think the more accurate historical parallel would have been for Napoleon to get to a 5-1 advantage over Washington and then lose.

That's trade which wouldn't have done much.

They had trade contacts. Never came as invaders or conquerors which is what "exploits" mean.

And most of the trade contacts were with ports in south india - specifically in modern day kerala and tamil nadu which is exactly the opposite of what was implied in

Bait

It was still called Constantinople for hundreds of years by the Turks themselves after they conquered it, mate.

Half truth. The Greeks called it Constantinpolis while the Turks renamed it Constantinople.

the more reason to fight for him

well im off to drown myself in the toilet

kek

His soldiers revolted because of the terrible conditions in the army and marching for years.

Under Montgomery in Africa. Shit was pretty fucking nuts.
I also feel like it was one of the very last fronts in any war that had some sort of romanticism in it.
>The complete admiration of Rommel by his and Italian troops
>The respect the Brits gave to Rommel who played them like fiddles
>No Americans till the end so soldier on soldier chivalry is often carried out
It's weird how a front that was SO important was also ignored so much.
Rommel was literally a few miles away from Cairo and the Channel, if he had captured those the war could've taken a very different turn.

It's from the US military, where in war games they use red to represent the enemy force they are training to fight while blue team represent Americans. It probably originates from cold war with red obviously referring to communists and blue being a color associated with the US Army for a long time (check out their early uniforms).

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_team

This.

But wouldn't it be under Porus more? He did the heavy lifting to demoralise Alexander's army and
>As for the Macedonians, however, their struggle with Porus blunted their courage and stayed their further advance into India. For having had all they could do to repulse an enemy who mustered only twenty thousand infantry and two thousand horse,

>It probably originates from cold war with red obviously referring to communists and blue being a color associated with the US Army for a long time (check out their early uniforms).
it orginates from british redcoats vs colonial forces during the american revolution you mong

>Tfw goes to Sulla for advice on how his toga looks best
>Sulla answers with on my floor

He was alright in terms of his defensive strategy but his offensive campaigns were a fucking shambles (see Caporetto)

it's the wop butcher shop Luigi!

Reading up on the background of the fight between Porus and Alexander was pretty cool too.
>Alexander killed Porus's son
>Porus's son wounded Alexander personally and killed his favorite horse (Alexander loved the shit out of his horse and founded a city in its name)

They both had a grudge to hold against each other.

They were known as the yona or yavanas, mlecchas were uncultured barbarians like the Scythians, Kambojas, Kirtas and other horse tribes latter applied to the dirty muslim invaders.

An intersting note from the history states "Chandragupta had to engage all his military strength, even Greek mercenaries from Punjab in his conquest of the Nanda king"

How powerful was the Nanda Empire then?

And why didn't he invade the Central Asias/the ME after with such a powerful army? He could have easily conquered them.