So a creative employment agency I signed up with sent me a job opportunity for storyboarding at an advertisement agency

So a creative employment agency I signed up with sent me a job opportunity for storyboarding at an advertisement agency.
The job was sent to me around 5pm today to start tomorrow at 10am.

I email back saying I'm interested, and an employee from the employment agency calls me right away. She said she'll forward my portfolio to the ad agency and would let me know later in the day if I'm booked or not.

Now if this job says I need to be there to start at 10am tomorrow, I need to leave no later than 8am to get there. This company is in midtown Manhattan and I'm from southern Staten Island. Driving into the city is insane so the quickest option for me to get there is by express bus.
By bus it will take 1 hour and 30 minutes. I've explained this to the employment agency and they said they understand.

6:30pm the agent emails me and says the advertisement company is most likely going to book me but they are still waiting on final approval which they know they will need by tonight.

It is now fucking past 10:30pm at night.

What do I do? Do I go tomorrow even if there's no "final approval?"

I can't call up tomorrow morning before I leave because the employment agency opens at 8am. If I need to be there tomorrow at 10am I have to get on that bus by 8am.

Should I email again and ask if a final approval has been made so I can go to bed to wake up early enough to go to this job? Or should I not say anything at all, go to bed, and see by 6am if she actually bothered to email me back?

Bumpin

Just go if you want the job. It's one wasted day. If they haven't chosen you when you arrive you could explain that you showed up just in case because you want the position. That kind of motivation might change their mind, if not is one day wasted, so what.

this

if you really want it, show up and hope for the best

But the problem is I wasn't given a name to meet with. And I also don't want to end up traveling 1.5-2 hours in, carrying all my supplies, just to be turned away by security saying I have no appointment.

how long will it take you to the work ?

You can call on the way. Ffs go outside. Like, nigga just open your eyes, nigga

Go or you're gay. You can always hop off before you get to Midtown if you find out they cancel and take the next bus back. You're making excuses which is likely why you're unemployed in the first place.

SAD!

The bus trip will take almost 2 hours. I would have to get on the bus by 8am to be there before 10am.
Once I am on that bus I cannot get off until I'm in Manhattan. If they tell me nothing was approved, I will waste almost 4 hours of my time stuck on a bus. I could be utilizing that time for other projects.

I should also mention I asked what supplies I need to bring and they didn't get back to me about that either. This is for a 4-5 hour gig that pays $35per hour

It will still take at least an hour from where I am to get to battery park. I'm talking about a bus stuck in rush hour traffic going into Manhattan. Sometimes it would take almost 2 hours to get to the financial district, where I used to work.

Jesus, they're really unprofessional. If you're not hurting for work I would just not bother. If you don't need the work it's not worth it letting them fuck around with you like this.

Hello fellow islander. South shore is pretty gay

Don't waste your time unless they call. Like you said, you don't have an appointment, you don't have a contact. If they need you, they'll call tomorrow and have you come by the next day besides, if they are that incompetent of an agency, who wants to work there anyway.

You sound like you're looking for excuses to not go tomorrow. Fuck you. There's tons of other people who want that job more than you do. Stay home and shitpost on Veeky Forums because that's obviously what you want to do with your life.

wake up at 6am, see if there an email. wait till 7:00 am call your temp agency if they answer great, if not fuck it its just 4 hours of commute

This is the way these creative placements work, unfortunately. It can be a last-minute world to begin with but you're usually waiting for your rep to speak to someone who's waiting for approval from someone who's waiting for an consensus.

At least start going, and call at 8 but be ready for them to say not today.

Whoops I made a mistake. Apparently the agency opens at 8:30am.

GO! It sounds like a great opportunity and murphys law WILL fuck you over if you let it. in case you really don't get it you can spend the day at a cafe sketching cute girls and then walk around taking fotos for your flickr or something (not being ironic, judging by the fact that you do storyboarding this is completely genuine advice)

>This is for a 4-5 hour gig that pays $35per hour
actually that's not that much

>The job was sent to me around 5pm today to start tomorrow at 10am
What the fuck? Who hires people like that? Even if it's a one day gig, how can they expect to get any kind of quality work when they're looking for people barely 24 hours before the job starts?

Ok so I emailed the recruiter a few minutes ago asking if I should come in today even though a final approval has not been made.

5 minutes later I get an automatic reply saying

>"I'm out of the office on Friday, 5/26 until Tuesday, 5/30. If your request is urgent, (name of agency) is open on Friday, 5/26 until 2pm, and we will reopen on Tuesday, 5/30. Have a great long weekend and talk to you soon!"

What the fuck

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagie

It gets better. I called the employment agency today and they said the advertisement agency may not come up with a final decision until 9:30 am when the job is at 10am.

Sounds like you're dealing with a bunch of cunts. Don't expect this to be a long term gig I guess.

Is this kind of thing normal in your line of work? I'd call this getting jerked around, and neither the recruiter or 'company' that's hiring you is seriously considering hiring you.

You can show up, but spending $35 for a 50% chance of working is like only barely above those Mexican laborers outside of home depot tier

I bet you waste 4 hours a day fucking around on Veeky Forums anyway.
Don't come here with your excuses.

KEK

I could say the same to you bro.

wagie is probably on his way to a job he doesn't even have
while I'm eating cereal and drinking coffee

I could waste 4 hours being on Veeky Forums while on the bus if I wanted to. I'd rather use those 4 hours to do something more productive, like building my portfolio or learning from Unity or Maya tutorials.

Take the ferry then the 1 train. If it's on the east side, transfer to the L at 14th and take the 456

Why would u ever live on Staten Island I think I'd kill myself

so what happened? did you go? tell them to fuck off?