Did any warrior or warrior societies go into battle unarmed...

Did any warrior or warrior societies go into battle unarmed? By that I mean did anyone go into battle with weapons or armor that augmented their punches and kicks but they still essentially beat someone to death with their "bare hands"

Other urls found in this thread:

thearma.org/essays/G&WinRF.htm#.VAO8Ddm9LCR
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Yeah they all died and no one bothered to record them

fucking idiot.....

no way dude you just train in monk class til you get the Hamedo and then switch to ninja with two-swords

You need to level up your dex tho.

>the one gif of the elven swordsmen jumping infront of their own pikemen to attack the incoming orcs

THIS THREAD

no, op.

the closest thing i can think of is the Indian punch dagger, the katar. don't know much about it's usage.

there's really no benefit to not having a weapon. many warriors did have training in hand to hand, and certainly had chances to use such knowledge, but that's the extent.
range is very important

my fkin sides

"Augmented their punches and kicks"

God damn it

It's all well and good to laugh but I'd genuinely like to know what OP was thinking.

Fucking chimpanzees use rocks and sharp sticks to bash each other.

If you went into battle without a sword or a spear or an axe or something you'd literally be stupider than a fucking ape.

Yes, OP. After fighting they went onto make b-rated kung fu movies.

Even Goliath used a sword...

I was wondering if any one had the cajones to actually run up and punch a person to death with their "bare hands"

Resorting to fists would have been a very last resort after you have been completely disarmed of every other weapon at your disposal.

Bare hands or use a tool that kills far more easily. What would you choose, remember, the other guy will have the tool in hand when you're running up to them.

Wrestling was more important. It was taught in nearly every martial culture before gunpowder, Greco roman wrestling, turkic wrestling, Mongol wrestling, Indian and Chinese martial arts.

However there are few notable examples of kicks and punches being the main emphasis except in very niche situations like disarmed peasants or sports.

You would invariably have a weapon and it would invariably be better than punching or kicking. The only thing a weapon can't match are complex moves that involve holding onto the enemy, his limbs or his weapons and being very close to the enemy such that it is difficult to swing your weapon and build up kinetic energy.

i know greco roman wrestling incorporated striking, as did the indian/chinese arts.

wrestling was emphasized, but i think wasn't used as much in martial drills for armies, since it translated less readily to the use of weapons. wrestling is less useful in mass combat as well.

Yes.
But as technology advanced they were beaten by the first peoples who invented the weapon known as "rock"

OP here. I think people.are missing the point that they are not completely bare handed but carrying a weapon meant to increase there punching or kicking force such as knuckle dusters, punch knives or shoe knifes

Those are only really advantageous again unarmed people. Any weapon is going to be longer and far deadlier than whatever thing you've got stuck on top of your fist, which means that by the time you're close enough to punch you'd already be hit by your opponent.

the lewd joking aside

The first that comes to mind is the Pankration - the greek unarmed wrestling that was used to supplement the martial fitness of the people practicing it.

It was used as a individual discipline in the olimpic games and spartans were banned from participating because they would often kill their opponents or severely maiming them.

So I guess some individual cases of people fighting bare handed existed but not as a cohesive battle group.

Further more some celtic warriors entered battles naked to show martial prowess.

but generally

I am now imagining a rectangular formation seven rows deep of dudes armed with knuckledusters and "shoe knives".

thearma.org/essays/G&WinRF.htm#.VAO8Ddm9LCR

Kicking/punching would just be an interesting exercise compared to teaching them how to use the weapon itself. Wrestling on the other hand teaches them something new and important, the weaknesses of the body, what to do if they get too close and how to keep your footing when you are being pushed and shoved.

If you want to go deeper into the 'tism I suppose the list of priorities would look like this.

the weapon >>>> wrestling > kicking/punching

bucklers maybe