Europe was so filthy and degenerate in the 19th century that "Rat Catching" was then considered a legitimate full-time...

>Europe was so filthy and degenerate in the 19th century that "Rat Catching" was then considered a legitimate full-time occupation.

Other urls found in this thread:

cbsnews.com/pictures/rat-catchers-of-new-york/
nytimes.com/2016/12/15/world/europe/paris-rats.html
www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/data/health-tools/rats-information-portal.page
users.trytel.com/~tristan/towns/florilegium/community/cmfabr24.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I mean rats were a problem in cities and we still have exterminators today, I don't see your point, better than letting rats run wild

>Europe was so filthy and degenerate in the middle ages they beer instead of water and had a bath once a year

As opposed to today where pest control is a multi billion dollar industry, with entire local government departments set up specifically to tackle it?

Someone had to do it.

I beer everyday.

/thread

>Typical European circa 1861

>extensive plumbing systems bringing clean water into towns and even individual households
>military manuals describe the importance of finding clean water
>health manuals that describe drinking specific kinds of water to help different conditions
>HURRRR NOONE DRANK WATER CUS IT WAS FILTHY AND THEY INEXPLICABLY KNEW ABOUT GERM THEORY!!!!!!!

You should probably browse and read a bit more before you make retarded threads.

Rats were a huge problem in cities

Rat-catchers are still a thing in NYC.

cbsnews.com/pictures/rat-catchers-of-new-york/

>Anecdotal reports suggest that some rat-catchers in Europe would raise rats instead of catching them in order to increase their eventual payment from the town or city they were employed by.
>some rat-catchers in Europe would raise rats instead of catching them
>raise rats instead of catching them
You had literally one job.

>was

nytimes.com/2016/12/15/world/europe/paris-rats.html

>people who the dregs of society spend more time trying to weasel their way out or scamming their employer, than they do working

Are you really that surprised?

kek

>>extensive plumbing systems bringing clean water into towns and even individual households
do you have any sources/examples? not arguing, just curious. i know europe wasn't a shit covered mess, but i've never heard of any real plumbing

Meanwhile

www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/data/health-tools/rats-information-portal.page

Conduits. Most cities and larger towns had them. Londons could be made to flow with wine for special occasions.

This site has extracts of medieval documents pertaining to them.

users.trytel.com/~tristan/towns/florilegium/community/cmfabr24.html

The Coventry Leet Book or Mayor's Register is another excellent resource for info on running a medieval city (available via archive.org). There's several entries regarding their conduits, including one threatening the butchers guild with a fine if their members don't stop washing their meat in the flowing water.

There's also an interesting example from Lichfield where the conduit was maintained by the towns religious guild. The members were concerned that access to it would be sold off when Henry VIII had religious guilds suppressed along with the monasteries. They basically sold the land and the conduit to one of their members for a song. He then donated them back to the newly formed Lichfield city charity (with exactly the same members and goals of the previous guild). The charity is just barely surviving to this day.

In fact, from that site

>certain Conduit was built in the midst of the City of London, that so the rich and middling persons therein might there have water for preparing their food, and the poor for their drink

>the poor for their drink

Hahahaha like how is the bubonic plague real hahahaha nigga just buy a cat

Thanks, very interesting and informative.

I still have rats in my home, at least 2 that I know of. One of them lived off rat poison for months and just got fat, I gave up on trying to kill it. They don't bother me anyway, they just sometimes steal a bit of my rabbit's food.

To be fair, it was long before they invented cats

>lived off rat poison for months

they're going to eat your rabbit soon

better fucking use a big fucking snap trap

Literally me

yes-yes man-thing, ignore your skaven-friends, there's no plan-plot to take over your home and drag you to the warp-mines, no-no!

I did use traps. He would leave poop all around them to mock me and completely ignore the bait.

Pretty sure Pest Control is still a full time occupation.

Also, my rabbit weights over 5 kilos and has no cage. He's safe.

don't talk shit about exterminators

it was and is a real job everywhere in agricultural areas

we do what we can on the farm to keep rat numbers down, but under certain conditions it's almost inevitable there is a plague of them
at that point we have to call in exterminators, because we have neither the skill nor the time to deal with it

ever seen a hundred thousand rats in 40 gallon drums?

>implying employers don't weasel their employees more

the reason for that might be that there were lots of rats

But that's the same things governments, bureaucracies, and even many private companies do today.

If you're paid for dealing with a problem that problem disappearing is the LAST thing you want.

Ideally you want the problem to grow so that your power can grow too, ostensibly to deal with the now-larger problem which will hopefully continue growing.

The complementary to that is creating whole new problems to solve.

good to know i'm a true european

>Not having a mouser