Why was the Soviet Union years behind technologically when it produced so many renowned and respected scientists?

Why was the Soviet Union years behind technologically when it produced so many renowned and respected scientists?

The Soviet government didn't take advantage of their scientists. Americans were better at recognizing "pure science" research as being technologically useful.

Take the case of Petr Ufimtsev. His work paved the way for stealth technology, but the Soviets didn't notice its significance, while Lockheed did.

Why this was case, I'm not sure, but I'd wager it has to do something with the capitalist mindset making Americans better at application .

>when it produced so many renowned and respected scientists?
It didn't?

Most famous "soviet" scientists were born and partly (if not wholly) educated during the times of the Russian Empire.

>Why this was case, I'm not sure, but I'd wager it has to do something with the capitalist mindset making Americans better at application

This.

wow never knew this. its ironic since america today is the pioneer of stealth tech and only now years later russia has still to build a stealth jet

>wager it has to do something with the capitalist mindset making Americans better at application .
How does this play a factor at all? You do realize the average engineer working on an r & d team making $60k/year signs over whatever innovations he makes to whatever company he works for right? As in, you can be directly responsible for coming up with something that will make your company billions and you'll get a pat on the back at most.

This whole capitalism motivates innovation meme is exaggerated.

A lot of Soviet scholarship was very theoretical in nature. It was just a safer gig to produce theory instead of making something. You can actually fail at making something, and doing so in engineering was a real career ender in the USSR.

>what is entrepreneurship

>You can actually fail at making something, and doing so in engineering was a real career ender in the USSR.

Probably this was tied to their lower economic budgets and the fact that outside of rocket science, nuclear physics and military research which were the best funded they didn't invest in other areas considerably.

The USA had more resources to spend on research and education. Most of this was inherited from the Western colonial powers while Russia had to invest in more infrastructure after the war.

they still had all the spoils of the war including german scientists. but yeah the various technological embargoes did slow them

It wasn't just spoils that NATO inherited, Britain had well developed technology programs which were combined with America's. The Russians were poor and only inherited East German industry and research (which was substantial but still not enough to match the Western Powers combined). In general the USSR was doomed from the start and no one advantage helped the NATO countries win The Cold War.

Fucking money.

free market then
the more people doing a thing, the better that society will be doing it

define freemarket

almost to none government interference in the offer and demand dynamics, be it by regulating or interfering in the flow of goods, money, capital, people, information, business ideas or entrepreneurship projects

Skunk Works.

what about NASA, the Manhattan project, Dams, Bridges interstate highways ect? How would those work in an libertarian modeled "free market"

because even if your country produces the better scientist, the capitalist can just say "hey, we will pay you more than a sack of radishes"

communism really is an impractical space cadet tier dumb system

private space travel companies, university research, microdams and contracted bridges respectively... do not tell me you have not heard about those things

how would those exist if they didnt get massive public research funding in the billions and billions of dollars? the only way it could work is if massive conglomerates that control society would basically exist that and would make everything from your toothbrush to your cellphone

private space companies are not funded by the state. they fund themselves either by investors or previous profits

and so on.

and yes, there are lots of conglomerates who make everything and they're called private businesses.

Quick! Name a business that has never recieved a government subsidy.

I don't think you realize the extent to which the USA subsidizes innovation and manipulates economic forces. Those private enterprises rely on a lot of public support to operate effectively.

a bakery
you smell like either brazilian or argentinian

but private space companies use all of the already available technology that was developed by NASA. they dont do any space research.

apple
>nasa owns whatever they research

>you smell like either brazilian or argentinian
I am American. You are just an ignorant person who doesn't understand how his own government works.

no need to feel salty, berniebot

4163577652 call or text this numberrrr

Because state planning is horrendously corrupt and it is difficult to observe because they put up such a good propaganda face (they deal in politics after all).

>how would those exist if they didnt get massive public research funding
This is an incredibly flaky position.

It is up to debate how much public funding helps advance science. I suppose if it were dropped to save taxes then most of the money would go to luxuries and conveniences instead of being invested in R&D.

However is not saying their discoveries would have been discovered a little later, is saying they wouldn't have happened at all, which is absurd tbqh. would have to demonstrate that privately funded research is inherently inept in some way, I am guessing research that only has long term benefits that won't yield a profit. However if you look at something like nuclear physics, countless applications were found for radioactive materials long before we developed nuclear power, also as time went on and other areas advanced you could go back to that dilemma scientists keep harping on about and risk some R&D spending going in that area in the hopes they stumble across something and you get a priceless patent. Also there are investment vehicles for very long term payoffs like this.

So why does say that? I've heard this meme before. It is because politicians spit memes like this out all the time and people just take it as fact. That it basically their job and ironically bcause of things like this the state is worse at making decisions.

To a soviet state planner it would be absurd to invest in a multitude of menial consumer goods like toothpate instead of fighter jets.

What are you arguing?

If you bought Einstein a sandwich you can claim all the credit for his work? That it would be impossible for him to do it without you?

thats a bad analogy. libertarian reasoning is funny

The problem with private enterprise is that you can't make it invest in unprofitable ventures. Putting a man on the moon was an unprofitable venture, yet it is perhaps the greatest achievement of the 20th century.

The free market may be more efficient, but it's much more limited to what it's willing to do. Sometimes, the State has to take the lead when the market fails to deliver.