Why are people afraid of a godless universe?

Because with god we are Special, like a main character in a movie that is Universe.

Why are people afraid of God?

They're not. They yearn in their fantasies for a godless universe where they can cease to be.

Because they themselves have no inherent drive or belief, forcing them to try to find meaning in their creation by God.

Because you should not piss off a guy that has the title of "All Mighty and All Seeing"

but the deist god wouldn't do shit to me

They aren't. Most fedoras are afraid of the prospect of a world beyond the material, which is retarded.

It's sort of sad knowing that we aren't special, people want to feel like they exist for a purpose.

Because it's easier to argue against a phantom you concoct than what the actual argument is.

Case in point: . The argument at hand is one of evidence (The lack of any for the existence of Yahweh). He knows he cannot argue against the atheist point as he has no evidence. Instead, he shifts the argument to something he CAN win against; he concocts the atheist as an immature manchild who "hates" (Whatever that is supposed to mean) Yahweh. He can win this emotional argument (As not hating Yahweh is supposed to bring substantial material benefits, which is almost universally desirable), hence why he furiously tries to twist any argument into one he can win.

The fact that positing material that is somehow "not material" really just means that he claims the world is still materialistic, only he alone has special access to some hidden material, is irrelevant to his central aim of shifting the argument to an emotional one he can win, rather than a rational one he cannot.

You can have a purpose without a divinity

>le empirical evidence

lol fedoras are broken

>B-but its not me its you a..and y-you s-suck

That's not an argument. Why do you need spirits in your life?

What it really comes down to is the question of purpose. If God exists (or gods) then there is some kind of intention, or agency, behind our existence. If there is no God then there was no intention or agency behind our creation, and this leads many people to feel that whatever they do in life will ultimately not matter. It makes sense that people would feel this way. We've evolved think in terms of goal setting and accomplishment, which is how we've increasingly developed civilization and technology over our history. It's the same reason we tend to think of history as a straight line of progress moving forward/higher over time. You're always working towards the next goal, and that's what gives something value.

This is what existentialists were on about. Reading them might give you a better idea of why there is fear around the idea, whether you agree with their conclusions or not.

What if God is the Universe itself, including us, and we are all part of the divine on the same plane of existence?

how does this mean anything different? it's the same reality just with pretty words slapped onto it.

then that would really not be "god" in the sense that OP is using the term. Obviously he means some kind of divine personal figure who created human beings.

You are talking about a more eastern concept of God, which is one that many westerners who lost their faith in an Abrahamic religion have turned to and found very comforting.

>what if I am a spark of infinite participating in the miracle of being vs. what if this doesn't matter

Nope pretty big difference in attitude there bub

your mom's beyond the material

that's my point, it's a difference in attitude, not a difference in reality

>The fact that positing material that is somehow "not material" really just means that he claims the world is still materialistic,

Not the guy you're replying to, but I always found this argument against dualism a bit weak. Not even saying I am a dualist, I'm pretty agnostic about the idea, but having a basic concept of mathematical dimensions can provide an easy concept of how there could be reality "beyond the material" that can in some way interact with this world even though we can't directly perceive it with our senses. We can only perceive things in three dimensions, but mathematically we can work in dimensions beyond that and get some abstract ideas about how operating in more dimensions would work even though we can never truly visualize or imagine it. So dualists by analogy would be referring to what exists in the first three dimensions as material and what exists in the fourth and beyond dimensions as immaterial.

Says you

not an argument

Because otherwise literally nothing has a sense

Because most religions describe him as an edgy teenager tyrant with a huge ego

Your mind creates your reality

For sure, but people want a divine purpose because its an easy solution.

Is it really though? If there's an all powerful god who decided your purpose in life, that basically puts a pretty heavy weight on your shoulders, especially if you believe he's going to punish you forever if you don't do what he wants.

I don't know if it's so much about the ease of the solution as that they feel if they create the purpose for themselves it's somehow illegitimate.