What do you think about protestantism?

What do you think about protestantism?

Other urls found in this thread:

quora.com/What-is-the-most-misunderstood-historical-event
traditionalmass.org/images/articles/GenJews.pdf
newadvent.org/cathen/08399a.htm
esv.org/resources/creeds-and-catechisms/article-the-westminster-confession-of-faith/
esv.org/resources/creeds-and-catechisms/article-the-westminster-larger-catechism/
esv.org/resources/creeds-and-catechisms/article-the-westminster-shorter-catechism/
esv.org/resources/creeds-and-catechisms/article-the-thirty-nine-articles/
esv.org/resources/creeds-and-catechisms/article-the-canons-of-the-synod-of-dort-1619/
esv.org/resources/creeds-and-catechisms/article-the-heidelberg-catechism-1563/
archive.is/6BLJY
youtube.com/watch?v=ZGDDKlXl488
youtube.com/watch?v=l_OfAX5LLOI
fortune.com/2016/11/09/donald-trump-election-2016-catholic-vote/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I think it's conception (the Reformation) cleared the way for the Enlightenment and a lot of important scientific innovation, as well as some interesting philosophy and writing, and is thus a key event in history and advancement of western society.

However, I don't really have any strong opinions on the religious doctrine itself. I'm not religious, so I tend to just lump it in with the rest.

I think it was a poorly handled mistake that spiraled into decades of brutal warfare and centuries of animosity which last to this day.

The Council of Trent was what the reformation should have been: An emphases on anti corruption while maintaining the theological integrity of Western Christianity.

it's basically Christian hipsterism

Best invention of the 2nd millenium

Literally retarded in almost every conceivable way. Totally illiterate, zero substance. Feels > reals syndrome. Braindead in all possible contingencies.

>(the Reformation) cleared the way for the Enlightenment and a lot of important scientific innovation

The Counter-Reformation did that.

This is the only sensible and reasonable statement in the entire thread.

The rest of is just Christcuck polemicists arguing why their sect is best and why the other sucks.

Just because some scientific advancement came after the Reformation doesn't mean it was caused by the Reformation

Catholic church being opposed to science always seemed like a giant meme to me

Having just finished the Bible, their claim that you're justified by faith alone is more credible than the local Catholic or Orthodox posters around here would claim, since the idea that works follow from faith but are not a source of grace is more or less what Paul said. This is of course contradicted by James.

He just said it cleared the way, not that the church was opposed to science. With the reformation, the church's stranglehold in academia was compromised, opening up the possibility of a broader range of subjects rather than ones that met strict church approval.

What didn't meet with approval?
I thought they approved of science in general

Well the enlightenment carried with it more than science. As I recall there were some topics in philosophy that were considered untouchable. A thinker like Spinoza would have met harsher resistance had he been working before the reformation, when church hegemony was still a thing.

I have yet to hear any sound reasoning on how sola fide doesn't logically end with antinomianism.

An overreaction to the corruption of the Catholic clergy.

In general, unless your Galileo or anyone who thinks outside the iron box

The Reformation in the 16th century was good, but the 17th century was better. Christianity would have done a service if the Reformation had come to a screeching halt there. The various Reformed Confessions that came out of England during the mid to late 1600s, such as Westminster and the 1689 Baptist Confession, are pure milk of the Word for protestants. Also, the 1662 Book of Common Prayer is the most biblical and most beautiful expression of the Anglican faith that has ever been put to paper.

Wasn't the Galileo thing a myth?

If you research Roman Catholicism before Luther, or Calvin, or whoever, it became more a political establishment through the means of religious influence, there's were several priest couldn't even read Latin & Greek, so they were doing freestyle preaching as long as it couldn't be condemned as heresy.
So, yeah, on religious level it's understandable why the reformation had to occur, and R.catholicism become more centralize on religion while less forced with its political influence.

It was.
quora.com/What-is-the-most-misunderstood-historical-event

>Totally illiterate
I hope you're intentionally being a retard

Crypto-judaism

Book-worshipping heresy.

Religion is between a man and his god, a corrupt bureaucracy has no place in the formula.

>These denominational arguments

Basically weebs arguing over canon

Stay mad :^)

Problem of the matter is, that you require some manner of central, bureaucratic authority to preserve the integrity of dogma and teachings through the times.

It was decentralization of political power of the Christian church that gave birth to so many heresies, misinterpretations and theological quarrels.

At the end of the day, the concept of religion fundamentally requires this necessary evil of institution.

[Martin Luther said,] “Christ was an adulterer for the first time with the woman at the well, for it was said, ‘Nobody knows what he’s doing with her’ [John 4:27]. Again [he was an adulterer] with Magdalene, and still again with the adulterous woman in John 8 [:2–11], whom he let off so easily. So the good Christ had to become an adulterer before he died.” (LW 54:154)

Just then his disciples returned and were surprised to find him talking with a woman. But no one asked, "What do you want?" or "Why are you talking with her?" [John 4:27]

>A more probable context is Luther's account of the atonement. One of his basic assertions is that our sins become Christ's and Christ's perfect righteousness becomes ours by faith. This idea of "the happy exchange" is found in many Luther texts. Given his central soteriological and christological concern, the theological irony in Schlagenhaufen's remembered notation becomes clearer: The "godly" Christ becomes or is made a sinner through his solidarity with sinners, even to the point of dying as a God-forsaken criminal on the cross. This is how Luther understood Paul's statement, "God made him who knew no sin to be sin for us so that in him we might become the righteousness of God" (2 Cor. 5:21).

The true form of christianity. Catholocism was created by the jews

>Loves Jews in tell they turn him down, becoming butt blasted and writing "on the Jews and their lies"
>Uses Hebrew manuscripst instead of Latin and Greek
>Removes important Old Testament books of that have a European character or contradict his warped ideology such as Sirach and Maccabees
>Wants to remove Hebrews, James, Jude and Revelations because of formally mentioned reasons.
Luther was a crypto-Jew

a jewish conspiracy to destroy christianity

your pic is false flagging

Biblical, catholic and orthodox

Justification is by faith alone

>unverified quote from Luther's table talk, with no context given for the statement

>Uses Hebrew manuscripst instead of Latin and Greek
Do you have any idea how stupid you sound? There are no original Hebrew manuscripts of the NT because it wasn't written in Hebrew. He used the Textus Receptus compiled by Erasmus. And for the Old Testament he translated the Greek Septuagint.

He used the one made by false jews you kike loving nordcuck.

>serious Roman Catholic apologetics

>Luther called his committee to translate the Bible "the Sanhedrin"
kys nordcuck

>word association
>serious Roman Catholics apologetics

>Proddie attempting to accuse Roman Catholics of word association
Have fun taking Jamal's cock, sven.

Eh pretty good, they actually follow the bible and doesn't afraid of anything

>nigger jokes
>serious Roman Catholic apologetics

I dare you to research Catholic opinion on the Jews. Of course you'll just circle jerk the same stale meme of Luther's infantile whining.

Christianity is the accumulation of several civilizations worth of thought. Persian, Egyptian, Judean, Greek, Babylonian, Roman, etc. The fact that its teachings are extremely different than that of Judaism is a testament to this. To deduce Christianity to a mere outgrowth of Judaism is incorrect and being on a history and humanities board you should know better.

traditionalmass.org/images/articles/GenJews.pdf

newadvent.org/cathen/08399a.htm

Pull something up from the 1500s you retard.

anyone has anything to say about Orthodoxy?
.T Curious muslim

The Catholic church valued education and was a huge patron of the natural science. Many men and women were educated and sent abroad historically, because of the catholic church. This accelerated the development of multiple regions, and had a profound and positive influence on the world.

However, the Church did this with the primary motive of spreading Christianity. Spreading secular knowledge was a secondary consequence, not a primary objective.

And while it's not fair to say the Church opposed science outright, it is fair to say they have been at times opposed to science that didn't support or back up contemporary dogma, or brought uncomfortable theological questions into the forefront. This, I think, is fair. You are free to disagree.

This even goes beyond single-source anecdotal evidence of people like Galileo complaining in their letters.

Under the Condemnations of 1210-1277, for example, teachings were not to contradict Aristotelian Physics. Old Greek philosophical doctrines were protected from criticism by the Catholic church. This made research into certain areas more difficult, because if your experimental results in any way contradicted present dogma, even dogma that necessarily had nothing to do with scripture or Christ (as I said they protected Greek philosophical dogma as well), you were likely to just keep your mouth shut and your ass covered.

>Red Pill

I love how a liberal meme from transgender directors in Hollywood became hijacked by conservative neckbeards overconcerned with identity politics who hate everything Hollywood stands for.

It's just funny to me.

> C++ is the accumulation of several decades worth of thought in Computer Science. Object Orientation, encapsulation, abstraction, inheritance, etc. The fact is the language is extremely different than C is a testament than this. To reduce C++ to a mere outgrowth of C is incorrect.

Okay, I get it.

But surely you can see he has a point. I mean, Christian scripture is literally offered as a package deal containing the Torah up front. Surely that can't be of tertiary importance here.

Stirner's book actually has some good ideas on catholicism and the reformation, albeit non religious ones tho

Served its purpose but is kind of redundant now

>a liberal meme

memes transcend your petty political classifications

No, no it doesn't. The idea that you genuinely believe what you've written betrays a cuckoldry inherent in your particular experience of religion, so that you are in some sense unable to even entertain for discussion the reality: that no dogma in the history of the world, try as it might, has ever actually managed to maintain real fixity of principles in all places and in all times, which is exactly what many religion pretend to. And this exactly because of different human cultures over time, changes in technology and regional philosophy, etc - we can even legitimately point to individuual human beings themselves, fraught with difference.

I'm sick and tired of everyone on this board acting like Lutheranism is the only form of Protestantism.

This thread belongs to the Calvinists now.

>implying that the Enlightenment wasn't essentially a demonic destructive force that tore every foundation away and left man standing hopeless and alone in a pitch-black abyss.

>my nigga

Are Baptists allowed?

No

Dortian Calvinism is responsible for every good thing left in the modern western world

Sh-shut up...b-bully

Noteworthy Reformed Confessions

Westminster Confession of Faith & Catechisms
>esv.org/resources/creeds-and-catechisms/article-the-westminster-confession-of-faith/
>esv.org/resources/creeds-and-catechisms/article-the-westminster-larger-catechism/
>esv.org/resources/creeds-and-catechisms/article-the-westminster-shorter-catechism/

39 Articles of the Church of England
>esv.org/resources/creeds-and-catechisms/article-the-thirty-nine-articles/

Canons of Dort
>esv.org/resources/creeds-and-catechisms/article-the-canons-of-the-synod-of-dort-1619/

Heidelberg Catechism
>esv.org/resources/creeds-and-catechisms/article-the-heidelberg-catechism-1563/

Im a cat lick but i always lol at his hate of the j*ws

>Ignoring my basic point that the people who created the "Red Pill" metaphor are totally socially at odds with the people most frequently invoking it, 17 years later.

archive.is/6BLJY

I mean, just because someone you disagree with innovates a concept doesn't mean you can't use that concept.

Why do non-Calvinists still exist

>Acts 2:39

Because Calvinists were too busy fighting liberalism in the late 19th through the mid 20th century to worry about the spread of Arminianism. Continental Europe was a lost cause, at least at that time. However, from roughly 1950 to the present there has been a resurgence of Calvinism, both in the soteriological definition and in the fuller confessional doctrinal sense, due in large part to English authors & American preachers, in Baptists and Presbyterians in America. The old denominations that accepted liberalism wholesale are dying while conservative denominations are rising in numbers. The PCA is actually one of the fastest growing denominations in the country, thanks in large part to their urban ministries. It's kinda funny to see bible believing Christians taking back the cities from liberals.

>The PCUSA is dying, with no signs of life remaining
>The Episcopal Church in the US is bleeding members and being slowly shutout of the worldwide Anglican Communion by faithful African and Asian bishops
>The United Methodist Church is dying (but they have a slim chance to slow the bleeding if they hold to their own discipline in regards to liberalism)

Do we really need to dissect that passage? Because you'll lose and your assumptions upon the text will be exposed.

>The PCA is actually one of the fastest growing denominations in the country, thanks in large part to their urban ministries. It's kinda funny to see bible believing Christians taking back the cities from liberals.

Pretty much this desu. The PCA is growing by leaps and bounds and has been for decades. They have about a tenth of the churches as the PCUSA, about 25% of the members and 25% of elders. This, combined with the steady declining membership numbers of the PCUSA, seems to show that the liberals' congregation sizes are shrinking more and more.

It was necessary to save the corrupt Catholic Church but has gone on too long and has decayed into the worst forms of heresy.

>just let me diddle kids and practice heresy goy- i mean brother
Catholics are deluded. Your Pope promotes sodomy and abortion.

>this is what christians actually believe

>Under the Condemnations of 1210-1277, for example, teachings were not to contradict Aristotelian Physic.
M8 m8, let me stop you right there, you got that completely wrong. The condemnations of 1210-1277 opposed Aristotelian physics all of them for theological reasons, this had the effect of ending rather than starting dogmatic aristotelism, if Aristotle could be wrong about physics and theology he also could be wrong about philosophy, this freed up natural science. For example:
>49. "That God could not move the heavens with rectilinear motion; and the reason is that a vacuum would remain."
>"That the world is eternal as to all the species contained in it; and that time is eternal, as are motion, matter, agent, and recipient; and because the world is from the infinite power of God, it is impossible that there be novelty in an effect without novelty in the cause."

>It's kinda funny to see bible believing Christians taking back the cities from liberals.
Yeahno, they're neanderthals gathering at Gibraltar: on the surface it looks like a lot of them, but that's because that's where they're making their last stand

They make a mockery of Christianity and of Jesus Christ and as a Christian I'm on the side of Atheist who hound them down for their falsehoods and irrationality. The "Devil" is the great divider, "sin" means to divide, and Jesus Christ is the great unifier Protestants are not Christian because they splintered the Church like children are played like a fiddle by the Devil. All the mockery and competent of Christianity in the modern world is their doing and thus they are unbeknownst to themselves Protestants are agents of the Devil.

youtube.com/watch?v=ZGDDKlXl488

youtube.com/watch?v=l_OfAX5LLOI

What did you mean by this?

Only semi-related, and I'm sure it's been opined on before plenty of times here, but curious since I don't know too much on the subject and I'm relatively new:

If Calvinism maintains that whether you go to Heaven or Hell is out of your control, what's the motivation to live a righteous life? What becomes the appeal of it?

I disagree. I think the theology of the Reformation is important but its big failure was the schism from a universal church and subsequent destruction it caused that is still affecting the world today.

>Yeahno, they're neanderthals gathering at Gibraltar: on the surface it looks like a lot of them, but that's because that's where they're making their last stand
The rise in "unaffiliated" does not mean that conservative church membership is not growing (which it is). It means that liberals, humanists, and gnostics are no longer residing in liberal denominations, but staying home on Sundays. Why should they remain members of dead churches, when their old church's theology demands nothing from them and preaches a dead gospel?

Several points to consider:

>If Calvinism maintains that whether you go to Heaven or Hell is out of your control
Calvinism does not teach fatalism. Man's response to the Gospel of Jesus Christ is an important component of faith. Calvinism simply expounds the biblical teaching that God has foreordained his elect to salvation. But what is often overlooked is that God has foreordained the entire process of salvation, including the response of faith and sanctification. Hyper-Calvinism & fatalism reduces man's need to repent or to live a holy life, despite the Scriptures commanding man to both repent and believe.

In a sentence: God's decree does not cancel out God's commands.

>what's the motivation to live a righteous life?
Simply put, because God has commanded it in his word. To go a bit deeper than that, the holy or righteous life builds godly character, dependence on the Holy Spirit, and stature in faith. Sanctification doesn't make one strong own their own, it makes one strong in Christ and necessarily increases knowledge of one's own sinfulness and the richness of the grace of God.

>What becomes the appeal of it?
Depends on how you look at it. Spiritually, it builds stronger Christians and churches (se reasons above). Societally, people with good morals build good, moral societies. Good moral societies are good for the human race. Lots of other realms can be affected by the holy life, from art to government, etc.

Why do Calvinists claim that everything has already been ordained if God is omnipotent. It would be not outside of it's power to see any infinite number of outcomes that would result from free will.

So you're saying your sect is the best?

Neo-pagans hate it
Intelectual christians love it

>posts a picture of a protestant who is going to deport Catholics

>out of touch with reality.
fortune.com/2016/11/09/donald-trump-election-2016-catholic-vote/

Luther had some pretty fun quotes. On the other hand a lot of protestant churches are pretty cucked today. But then again the Argentinian idiot licks refugee feet.

desu it's pretty sad to be superstitious as a westerner in 2017

Wrong file

So? That's expected. This is the first time they went democrat in awhile, and protestants still were 6% more for trump.

It's one of the biggest lies the catholic church tells, and they tell huge lies.

The "protestants" 500 years ago were catholics. Not christians. Catholics. Martin Luther was a catholic friar.

The murderous and vile catholic church then created an order of assassins to murder every Christian and Jew on the planet. The Jesuits.

To cover for this vile and murderous order of theirs, they swear secret oaths and hide their nefarious activities with open public displays of goodwill; schools, churches and the like.

Note that churches, schools and hospitals are three key means to control a population. You indoctrinate them when they are young, shame them into giving you money every week to perform your pagan rites and rituals, and control their healthcare.

The counter-reformation has murdered tens of millions of people, including the holocaust, and including atrocities today.

Atrocities like invading the USA with hordes of catholic peasants from south of the border to eradicate the rule of law and overburden a generous country to the point of dissolution.

>be Luther
>you just want to reform the church
>be pleased that others feel the same
>pope expels you
>you can't sperg out because you already have a following
>a new religion forms
>thisisnotwhatIwanted.gif
>all of a sudden some french and swiss faggots start their own religions based on yours
>both are getting followers
>start getting diseases
>start hatting the jews
>die a long and painful death

Have to go back to what for what? I gave my assessment as an outsider who just finished reading the fucking bible.

I aint clicking on no suspicious website.

Still waiting for a Catholic church to recognize a gay marriage, heretic.

pic very related

>PCUSA
>Christ's kirk

Nae.

They are your brothers user, accept them

They claim God ordains everything because scripture says God ordains everything.

Isaiah 46:8-11
>8 “Remember this and stand firm, recall it to mind, you transgressors,
>9 remember the former things of old; for I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like me,
>10 declaring the end from the beginning and from ancient times things not yet done, saying, ‘My counsel shall stand, and I will accomplish all my purpose,’
>11 calling a bird of prey from the east, the man of my counsel from a far country. I have spoken, and I will bring it to pass; I have purposed, and I will do it.

Liberal theology is aberrant, whether its in a Protestant church or in a Roman church. That being said, the Roman Catholic Church post-Vatican 2 is pretty bad. Some conservative bishops and cardinals need to right the ship before Francis sinks it.

>Some conservative bishops and cardinals need to right the ship before Francis sinks it
There is no righting this ship, it is fallen, fallen