What if we are actually alone in the universe...

What if we are actually alone in the universe? What if mathematics fail us and there isn't actually any other life forms anywhere else?

Don't you think that revelation would have far bigger philosophical implications even than not being the only ones?

Nah it's fine.
If there were other intelligent life forms they'd be much more likely to want to exterminate us than befriend us.

Well, from an imperialistic standpoint. It would be great, means we would have free way to conquer and exploit literally the entire universe.

But it would also mean that this small piece of rock in the middle of bumfuckingstan and only this small piece of rock somehow gave birth to a freak chemical combination that is capable of sapience.
Even disregarding filosophy and espirituality, it would defy mathematical probability.

I don't think anyone ever seriously calculated the probability of a planet to generate life, and then subsequently intelligent life.
I mean, our own planet only ever generated one species like that, discounting other primitive men.

Well, it doesn't need to be inteligent life, just life at all.

I've always gotten to thinking that if we did really meet other intelligent life they'd be too radically different to communicate.

Well, if we're counting unintelligent life i'd be very surprised if us earthlings are alone in the universe.

I'm not sure. If we're talking about a species capable of forming a civilization with many individuals, they'd need to be capable of complex communication, and there aren't too many ways to do that, it's pretty much either sounds or gestures.

Yeah but even then think about how ridiculously complex some of the languages within our own species can be (see, North American languages). Also what if there's some communication possibilities we're all too short sighted to see? It's shit like this that I think about sometimes even though it's absolutely useless to.

You should see Arrival.

I am sure we aren't, but I think that the sheer unlikeliness of it is what would make it a huge revelation should we ever somehow discover that we are in fact alone.

It's definitely possible, we would almost definitely not be able to communicate upon first encountering one another. We would have to develop some system to be able to do so.

Creating life is incredibly hard, user. Especially intelligent life.

I think it would be a bigger revelation religiously than philosophically.

If no other life exists, despite billions of exoplanets that are similar to Earth. It would prove that we were created by a higher being

Well not necessarily

if we're alone than what are UFOs

>Don't you think that revelation would have far bigger philosophical implications even than not being the only ones?
Better philosophical implications, than the practical ones the alternative might entail.

If no other intelligence is within our reach, eventually, we'll just build one ourselves.

classified government technology

the government uses this little UFO meme to distract the public and other nations from discovering new innovative technology.

>Even disregarding filosophy and espirituality, it would defy mathematical probability.
>Creating life is incredibly hard, user. Especially intelligent life.
We actually have no fugging clue as to the odds of life occurring, let alone what we would define as intelligent life. We know that it took a plethora of historical miracles to come together to bring us to the industrial age, but that's about it.

Yes, mathematically speaking, even with the most conservative estimates as to its rarity, there's almost certainly life like ours - in some other galaxy. However, any life in a red shifted galaxy (which most are), assuming FTL isn't a thing, will never meet us, and even among the handful of blue shifted ones, it'll be at least a hundred billion years.

Even if FTL is a thing, there's so many galaxies, and complex life maybe so rare, that the odds of them visiting ours, and finding us, would still be rendered into statistical oblivion.

On the other hand, they may be just about everywhere, and just not prone to building mega structures we can see. There could be an advanced civilization in our own solar system, and we could still easily miss it, particularly if various theories about hosted membrane life being more common are true. Our ability to detect this stuff just isn't very grand.

so the conspiracies are real then huh

Haauuuu~

Sorry, can't contribute to the thread. This is not my expertise.

It would be most likely that we want to exterminate extraterrestrial lifeforms, especially when they inhabit resource-rich planets.

Someone has to be the first.

>Born too early to genocide literal turd worlders

I need a source

It would take so long to prove we were alone that we would have evolved into countless new species by then, rendering it moot.

Do you have some literature on this?

Won't happen.

When I skedaddle out of the solar system as an immortal cyber-lich, I'll be stopping every so often on my way to the other side of the galaxy to seed life on viable planets.

>t. seed of immortal cyber-lich

>If no other intelligence is within our reach, eventually, we'll just build one ourselves.
This is going to happen long before we know if otherlife exist in the universe.

Thats retarded because 3.9 billion years ago there was no life on earth period and life on earth came from inorganic matter so its possible elsewhere in the universe.

Even if there were other life forms they wouldn't be evolved enough for communication to be possible. Either that or the distances are so great we'll never, ever be able to interract in any way possible.

ET might land on your doorstep tomorrow, ya never know.

Still leaves the possibility that complex life may be rare enough that there maybe life in only maybe every other galaxy, or perhaps 1 in 1000 galaxies. Life so far away that we can never meet it, effectively doesn't exist to us (and if they are in a red shifted galaxy, eventually, they won't exist to us at all.)

If, on the other hand, complex life is fairly common, there's billions of planets just as old as ours or older in our own galaxy.

In anycase, OP's question doesn't really pertain to the possibility of alien life (didn't bring up the Fermi paradox to make this Veeky Forums), but rather, "What are the philosophical ramifications of its existence or non-existence?"

Although for me the answer would be, "Fuck if I know." - Most philosophy is built around the assumption that man is the only sapient mortal being in the universe, but most of it would still apply, were it otherwise.

We are all part of the immortal cyber-lich reproductive process. They create the conditions for intelligent life on a planet, so that hopefully a new immortal cyber-lich will be born.

What's this type of image/fetish called and where can I get more?

Just join a PMC

I'm not really sure what "philosophical" implications either would have. I mean, it might have implications for whatever beliefs an individual already holds, but it wouldn't tell us anything that would confirm or deny any particular religion or philosophy that I'm aware of.

Well, except scientology, I guess.

I actually believe this, because infinity doesn't mean that everything exists. If everything exists, that would mean that everything would exist at once, and that things that contract each other would exist. You cant add "nothingness" to infinity as some sort of cake filler for these problems to infinity.

Senran kagura, the girl's name is Ryouna. She's a M.

I meant the whole "girl's face with impure thoughts in the background" thing

> If everything exists, that would mean that everything would exist at once
No it doesn't. See multiverse.

Contract or contradict?

Don't think it has a specific name

Lol