Yanomami Expeditions (Chagnon Controversy)

What happened on the 60s-70s expeditions to the Yanomami? Are the accusations against the anthropologists who operated there, specifically Napoleon Chagnon, substantial? Is his work flimsy or invalid? Yes, I just watched the documentary. Please discuss.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darkness_in_El_Dorado
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secrets_of_the_Tribe
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Do his findings go against other researchers?

Jared Diamond pretty much said the same thing, among many if not most hunter gatherer tribes murder is the leading cause of death.

By the way he spoke in the documentary, I think Chagnon considers the allegations an underhanded attack on his research by his institutional enemies. Though he's an asshole, I don't think he intentionally operated sadistically or unethically.
I think that the difference between him and Diamond is that Chagnon tied his research on tribal violence to reproduction, and made a wider claim on human nature.
I don't really know what side to believe on the debate, though. I am ambivalent on reading Chagnon's books, as they really have been tainted by the debacle.

I never saw the docu, I just read like half of his book on aggression. Frankly I don't even know what kind of criticism has been brought to bear on him, I was thinking of finishing the book before reading that but I don't think i'll finish it anytime soon.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darkness_in_El_Dorado
This is the book that spawned the controversy, and the documentary in response is called Secrets of the Tribe. The most severe accusations have been disputed and discredited. Still, Chagnon is not allowed back to the Yanomami and his data was brought into greater scrutiny. The whole thing seems fishy, or at least fishier than it did before.

Basically he didn't run with the noble savage leftist line and he was berated for it

>Supply people undergoing massive ecological hardship fucking weapons in exchange for access

Anthropology and sociology agree that violence is primarily a response to material conditions and generally-speaking people don't kill each other if their material needs are being met. Violent honour cultures like the Yanomami have come about because of intense resource competition at the individual level. There's evidence that they were probably a lot more peaceful before the ecological hardships they were exposed to around the time Chagnon showed up. There's also plenty of evidence that the Yanomami were prodded into killing further acts of violence by outside forces, Chagnon among them.

>primarily
>probably

Jared Diamond literally doesn't know what he's talking about.

>what do you MEAN social sciences, particularly one as steeped in the humanities as anthropology inherently can't deal with absolutes?!
Let me guess, gray areas really rile up your tisms?

trips of truth

bushmans are a good a example aswell, they were far more violent and had regular wars when resources were scarce, now they are hippies

hugahuagchagalugabuga tribes exist?
jeez...

Would be cool to fuck a true savage like a conquistador.

This is true, but it's fallacious to dismiss something he says simply because he's an unqualified ornithologist speaking outside his speciality. In this particular case, Diamond is correct: Murder is the main cause of death for males among hunter-gatherer societies, and in fact violence decreases steadily as societies grow more complex.

Simply by using the term "more complex" you're already on some bullshit, and shit like that is why anthropologists don't take Diamond seriously, just so you know.

How goes life in the faggot clan, user?

>Simply by using the term "more complex" you're already on some bullshit,

God I'm getting hard at the thought of your faculty getting its funding cut to 0.

>There's also plenty of evidence that the Yanomami were prodded into killing further acts of violence by outside forces, Chagnon among them.

Plenty of fabricated evidence

It's hard to know anything about isolated tribes because everyone doing the research has an agenda to prove the "natural" inherent status of man

What documentary are you talking about?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secrets_of_the_Tribe
The whole thing is on vimieo I think.

Which is retarded, because it implies that tribes thousands of miles and years away from our common ancestors are somehow going to be the exact same as them. It's purely based on the idea that hunter gatherers are "primitive" even though their material and cultural aren't like those of our ancestors. It also presupposes a "default" state of mankind when evolution exists due to ever changing conditions and there's nothing that makes a society with scarcity less legitimimate or more wrong than one without it. Talking about human is almost always just an appeal to authority.

Enjoy your 19th century """science"""

>the things that support my worldview are unquestionable
>the things that don't support it are made up
K

>search yanomami on youtube
>fap like crazy