3 of the soldiers have 10 rectangles contained in beige clothe draped around their necks

3 of the soldiers have 10 rectangles contained in beige clothe draped around their necks.
What are these items?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magazine_(firearms)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clip_(firearms)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

They're an odd style of bandolier for carrying ammo.

thank you!
few more questions
how would you take out the magazine?
was it prevalent toward the end of the war?

>magazine
>magazine
>magazin

it's a clip

I assume it's a bedroll, containing their supplies, provisions, spare clothes and little odds and ends. You'd roll all that shit up in your blanket and strap it to your back.

I know for sure this was how militaries did things in the 19th century but I can't comment with any authority on whether or not it had been replaced by rucksacks by WWI or not.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magazine_(firearms)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clip_(firearms)

Clips go into magazines

The rifles have an internal magazine that is fed with a clip, a stripper clip to be more precise. is correct.
They were used all the way through WWII as well. I have bandoliers for M1 Garand ammo, which used an en bloc clip. Now go tell /k/ you like clips. It'll be a hoot.

I dont know how practical those would actually be compared to ususal ammo pouches.

Why does old mate have his entrenching tool out

He chose a melee build.

He was attacked in the middle of his daily gardening

Around this time the Assault Detachment also changed some of its equipment to better fit its new requirements. Lighter footwear was issued, and uniforms were reinforced with leather patches on knees and elbows to protect them when crawling. Special bags designed to carry grenades replaced the old belts and ammunition pouches, and the standard Gewehr 98 rifle was replaced with the lighter Karabiner 98a previously used by cavalrymen. The long and impractical épée-style Seitengewehr 98 bayonet was replaced by shorter models, and supplemented with trench knives, clubs, and other melee weapons

I too have been playing Battlefield 1

OK can we talk about dat bad-ass art deco camouflage on helmet of the gentleman on the right in OP's pic?

Also these dudes have it as well:
Breddy cool how everybody hired Picasso back then to do their camo. (lol)

Don't mention this ahistorical shit on this board, fag

This game is a shame, Britain didnt need to be any more overrated and France and Russia didnt need to be any more underrated that they already were when it comes to WW1

Yeah, that doesn't make sense camouflage wise. Couldn't that orange be seen from a mile away?

He wants to level up his strange market gardener

thank you
You're doing gods work

lmao..............calm down mate

Those were still clips.

Is that a fucking red dot sight?

i love how nonchalantly they are advancing across that meadow, like someone just talked some shit to them and now theyre comming at him, but with poise, its not lie the whole enemy line is sooting rifles and mortars at them

Yes,you can put them on some guns

What gun is that?

MP 18

They're disposable bandoleers for carrying stripper clip ammunition for the karbines. Each pouch held two stripper clips holding five rounds each. These were often issued to troops before an attack as they might be advancing to a location in which they could not immediately be resupplied. Most armies issued them in one form or another during the world wars. Turkey recently dumped a bunch of old WWII era 8x57mm ammo onto the market still in these bandoleers. I see it for sale at gun shows for really cheap. The guys in this painting are StoBtruppen, special assault infantry trained to rapidly breach enemy defenses and penetrate deep behind lines.