Women's Rights in Islam

Did Islamic women in the Middle Ages really have more rights than Christian women, or is it just political correctness? Sources would be appreciated

Other urls found in this thread:

char.txa.cornell.edu/influences.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

web.clark.edu/afisher/HIST252/lectures_text/Women%20in%20Islam.doc

It's a short overview of the history of women in Islam.

Bump

>just political correctness
Germanic and Celtic women always had more of "muh rights" than any other race because of their culture.

In Real Islam women actually have more rights then men and make up 70% of the scientists and engineers in Islamic majority countries due to their natural affinity for the hard sciences. Don't believe the lies of the Jewish media, Real Islam is a progressive and tolerant religion of peace where all human beings are respected equally.

What do you do to an apostate of islam?

Tbh in Iran women make up 60% of university students, 50% in STEM fields. The first woman to receive Fields Medal (the equivalent of Nobel for mathematics) was Iranian.
This is related to the Islamic Republic system, even if it isn't the direct, consciously designed effect.

>Mingling Sunni's and Shiites together

Ishygddt

care to give me a summary? i don't use non-free software

Shill and objectivley false

Thats folk islam made by persians for persians

I don't believe either the OP or the post I was replying to specified Sunni or Shi'a.

How many free tickets to Mekka did you earn so far?

>had more of "muh rights" than any other race because of their culture.
Which is why the women were always the first converts when Christianity came?

I know it's not medieval but here's an interesting passage regarding Turkish women's rights in the 18th and 19th centuries and how Turkey served as a source of inspiration for many early feminists and suffragists:

>In the eighteenth century Lady Mary Wortley Montagu's Embassy Letters had painted a sympathetic picture of Ottoman women that differed markedly from that previously provided by condescending or fantasy-inspired male writers. She noted in particular that they possessed legal property rights and protections that far surpassed the rights of Western women. She took the comfortable and modest dress of Ottoman women as a symbol of this admiration, and wore it on her return to England, where she supported the emerging feminist movement. In the early nineteenth century other female travelers similarly adopted Ottoman dress following their sojourns in Constantinople.... These writers frequently commented on the personal, reproductive, and economic rights enjoyed by Ottoman women but not by their Euro-American counterparts. Fanny Janet Blunt, who lived for twenty years in the Ottoman Empire, wrote that "should a lady possess any property the husband cannot assume any right over it, nor over any of the rest of her belongings. The wisdom and generosity of this ... cannot be too highly commended." This was written four years before the passage of the Married Women's Property Act by the British Parliament in 1882. Thus when Amelia Jenks Bloomer adopted and promoted her "Turkish trousers", she was neither the first to do so, nor was her choice of costume without deeper meaning than mere physical emancipation from corseting and crinolines. The intense reaction against this sign of women's emancipation was not simply a reaction to a garment; the symbolism of Turkish trousers was not unknown to those engaged in the debate over women's rights.

char.txa.cornell.edu/influences.htm

i thought the jewish media was in support of islam to help it gain access in to western countries to erase white history and bring down western civilization

No, you're thinking of the Anglo-Germanic media.

what? no

no

no...

Turkey is probably more Islamic now than it was at the turn of the century desu

>Thats folk islam made by persians for persians
Many of the top clergymen in Sunni history were Persian (Bukhari, Abu Dawood, Ghazali), so that's a meme. Most theology in Shia Islam was shaped before the Safavids' rule.

the viking women had the most muh rights

Sharia was more progressive then previous Arab, or middle eastern laws on women.

But they never progressed since Sharia.

Sharia isn't static. There are 'radically progressive' interpretations of sharia by the likes of Yousef Saanei in Iran, to 'radically conservative' renditions by the likes of Muhammad bin Abdel Wahhab in Saudi Arabia.

The biggest meme in the West is the idea that all Sharia is the exact same--it's like saying all Western law is the same.

Turkey being islamic at all is a fucking meme
>edrokan islamist
Its a diaspora and commie meme that hate everything thats not marked with LGTQXBYSZ++

This is more due to the fact they are developing third world nations and women don't have the luxury to major in a hobby such as humanities they need to be wagecucks too. It also backfires and they'll ban women for studying STEM because they saturate the market and devalue the degrees.

Yah theres a trend to follow the 'spirit' of early Sharia (e.g. Abou-Fadl, Fazulur Rahman) but the 'letter' of Sharia is parroted by Wahabis (and evoked by any nation who wishes to easily control their population).

Well, it is certainly now more islamic than it was under Atatürk

>a short overview

Bruh I don't want to read your term paper. Give it to me in a paragraph or crash course video.

Khadijah, the first wife of prophet muhammad was a merchant

aisha teached umar bin khattab how to read quran

Cut nyak dien, was the leader of Aceh sultanate

There are story in islam about a prostitute that helped a dying thirsty dog by giving it drink, the prostitute is granted to be in heaven because her act to dog

in short answer:
as long the woman can keep being woman, is fine
the man must be the leader of woman, only in family term
heck, even woman can be an imam to her son, as long not baligh
The one who must be respected after allah, and prophet muhammad, is your own mother

>The one who must be respected after allah, and prophet muhammad, is your own mother

So as long as one can justify being crap to women in the eye's of Allah, then you're good?

?

nah, just respect and be good to your own mother

Holy shit just download open office

Depends on time and place and sect.
You've got no rights as a pashto girl. You're basically property. You've got quite a few rights running with a black sufi sect south of the sahel.

>open office
*libre office

Does anyone have all of these Anime Islam pics, someone posted them on /v/ once.

some turk nationalist i met in the youtube comment section said that he hated him because he promotes both islamic and Turkic nationalism and that hes somehow a orthadox Georgian if that makes any sense

he also of course deny's the Armenian genocide so ey

fucking answer this

Even if they were, why does it matter? That's something I never got the point of in the western media. Even a child can see the logical flaw in saying that something was better than something else several hundred years ago is proof of anything now.

The point is that they haven't moved on from the 7th century with their rights in places like Saudi Arabia and Afghanistan.

So respect your mother (but certainly not your wife), and she can't leave the house on her own?

Also isn't Aisha the one who was married at 9?

white people: trail blazing yet again

Too hard a question. Can't compute in their apologist brain.

Western law doesn't advocate killing those who disagree with you or raping children.

Stop comparing Islam to the West. It's apples to oranges and muslims keep it that way on purpose.

yes, but then again, the marriage in islam is to help another woman in misery because islam forbid a relationship of another man with another woman without family bloodline

the age of aisha is still controversial, some said it's 9, 7, even 16

he married aisha because there are war, uhud and badar war. To protect Aisha from being raped or sold as slave (because arabs at that time was full barbarian)

Abdel was not conservative at all. What he did was unprecedented and directly opposed established traditions.

Ah yes, protect Aisha from being raped, so let me rape her myself.

The great logic of Muhammad is impeccable.

Ah yes, i can't argue something without source, so i shitpost

good one

Read the Hadith

>married at 9
>consummated at 12
the legal age of consent in most countries is 16. most of the world legally defines Muhammad as a child rapist.

I've read that the bedouins at the time only counted women's age after they started to bleed. So aisha would have been of age. Is there truth to this?

Well, 12 if it's with anyone 12-14 where I am. But yes, by our laws a child rapist.

Wrong. Married at 6, deflowered (funny way of saying raped) her at 9.

That was the case in the Roman empire, which converted to Christianity from the bottom of society up, whereas the Germanic peoples converted from the top down.

While traditional sources say 9, it is fair to point out that apparently she participated in the Battle of the Camel before her marriage to Muhammad, so she could have been a bit older.

Although it is still entirely possible that she was 9.

Non-noble women in medieval Europe had considerably more power than Islamic women as anybody passingly familiar with medieval farces would know. Women held the household finances and husbands were expected to surrender their earnings to them lest they would waste it all on booze and gambling.

No it's revisionist drivel.

Are you implying that there is anything wrong with killing those who disagree with you and having sex with children?

And? The fact that in most contries he would considered a child rapist doesn't make him one

They had the right to get beaten to death by rocks

Persians are Persian before they are muslim.

>applying today's morals to something that happened 1400 years ago

Never heard that outside of Veeky Forums.

Do you live under a rock? Every media source says as much.

They could own businesses, conduct trade, and were not limited merely to the household.

>moving the goalposts

shig

Except they weren't allowed out of the house without a man, so if said man wanted to limit her to the house it would be easy.

Too generic of a question. The middle ages covered a huge time span, and there were massive amounts of islamic and christian women across the globe in multiple different areas in this period.

>I refuse to make a comparison because I'd have to group people together using only religion
>>>LGBT

Not that user but that is a perfectly valid reason not to do something like that. You couldn't get all the nuisance without a 40 page long paper.

I agree, disallowing the live burial of female infants is a radically innovative idea.

That's not what he said

>arabs at the time was full barbarian
>at the time
wow, I didn't know we still lived in their age...

You're so retarded, most Persians weren't Shia until the Shia Safavids took control of Iran. For 900 years, most Muslims in Iran was Sunni.

Shia Islam was created by Arabs.

>mfw no cutie 14 year old Muslim wife to be subordinate to me