The brittish empire was hardly very impressive

The brittish empire was hardly very impressive.

Africa and australia was underdeveloped. Canada was a unwanted, uninhabited wasteland. Middle East colonies were easily taken from the ottoman empire after it had benen in decline for centuries.

The only slightly impressive feat of this empire was conquering India, but the period they did so was hardly during indias golden age.

So let's see here:

size: uninhabited wasteland in Canada and australia.

Population: basically India

What was it that was supposed to be impressive now again?

The British Empire was established and sustained foremost through trade not conquest, this was key to its success and an important factor in why the Spanish and the French empire's of conquest before them, failed.

Just wondering where are you from?

I'm a British indian

Sweden

Canada was unwanted...you're wrong!

France didn't fail tho both there empires collapsed around the same time

Most of it was arctic wasteland so yes

>What was it that was supposed to be impressive now again?

It shattered the Ottoman Empire into little fucking pieces, basically guaranteeing the security of the West for at least a century.

The ottoman empire had been in decline for centuries, it no longer posed a threat at the time britain decided to finish it

This is a swede from /int/.

Just as coal was going out of fashion and oil was coming in; uncanny.

Pajeet my son

How tf do you remember a old, almost ignored thread?

the power projection was still beyond anything that had ever existed, and remember that Britain had to compete with other European countries to gain control of this land.

Wrong, france went bankrupt and sttopped being the great power it had been after napoleon. When germany formed most colonies had already been secured and portugal and spain were far from the powers they had been previously

You know Austria, Russia and Prussia were all legitimate Great Powers Britain had to compete with?

I think austria was to backwards and had too many internal problems to effectively colonize, and russia never tried much colonizing since it for them made much more sence to just expand the borders of their country

Prussia were also too busy trying to unify germany to give a Fuck about colonies so early on

That is colonialism though. The great game was a thing.

It doesn't change the fact most of the land in OP's pic had to be fought for.

They fought a war with the French for Canada, The dutch for south africa, the dutch and french for india, etc

>becoming the global hegemon and wealthiest nation on earth was easy
I wonder why nobody else did it?

That is still 3 centuries of competition with France pre-Napoleon. Canada was won from the French, so I wouldnt call it unwanted. Also, the scramble for Africa was post Napoleon and Britain was definitely competing with France there so your assertion is wrong

>Canada and Australia unwanted wastelands
>Somehow two of the richest countries in the world

What??