Declarations of war

When did they start?
Did the romans use declarations of war against the barbarians tribes?
When was the first declaration of war in history?
What about in China, India or pre-colombian America, did people declare war before invading neighbors?
And the mongols, were they just taking the stuff they wanted or did they wage clear, declared wars?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Declaration_of_war#History
sciencemag.org/news/2016/03/slaughter-bridge-uncovering-colossal-bronze-age-battle
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashvamedha
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Declaration_of_war#History

Now kys

I'm sorry for trying to make a thread about history instead of the /pol/ cancer discussing current events

>muh /pol/ ruining muh board
Kill yourself.

Yeah good initiative, this board is just getting more cancerous everyday.

>/pol/s totally not mentally retarded teenager kiddies LMFAO where would they get THAT FROM LELE Xdddd HaAIL HITLER YOU JEWS XDDDD

This argument boils down to why discuss anything?
Gee everything has a fucking wiki so what do you want to talk about faggot?

>Strawman

I always thought it would start to get used when embassies started to become a thing.

This. Its like you're treating Veeky Forums like a normie forum. Fuck off.

Yeah how dare he want to discuss history on a history board.

When they were a small tribe, romans would declare war by having a special priest throw a spear into the enemies territory. By the time of the Carthaginian war, they had a special area near the campus Martius that was designated "foreign" territory and they would throw the spear there to declare war

tips

That's pretty cool, do you know when and why they stopped doing that?

Fuck you.
I'm getting told to kill myself because I tried to start a discussion about history.
Of course there's a fucking wikipedia page, put it doesn't have everything and even if it did, that's not the point of a discussion.
Go look at how many threads on the front page are actually about history and then tell me if this board doesn't have a problem

Mongols sure knew how to declare war.

I, the Qa'an, the representative of the Heavenly King, to whom he has given power over the Earth, to raise up those who submit to me and cast down those who resist - I wonder why, you, O king of Hungary, when I have now sent envoys to you on thirty occasions, you have sent none of them back to me; nor do you send me in return your own envoys or letter. I am aware you are a wealthy and powerful monarch, that you have under you many soldiers, and that you have sole rule over a great kingdom. Hence it is difficult for you to submit to me of your own volition; and yet it would be better for you, and healthier, were you to submit willingly. I have learnt, moreover, that you keep the Cumans, my slaves, under your protection, and so I order you do not keep them with you any longer and do not have me as an enemy on their account. For it is easier for them to escape than for you, since they are without houses and move about in tents, and so may perhaps be able to escape. But as for you, who dwell in houses and have fortresses and cities - how will you escape my grasp?

Ancient Indian kingdoms not only declared war but even conducted the war within an elaborate code of honor

>Start war at sunrise and finish at sunset . No fighting before or after
>No harming elderly, sickly, women, children or surrendered
>No wanton destruction of temples or places of learning
>No killing of cows
>Deceitful conduct in war was "looked down"

No wonder we got cucked hard by invading central Asians who didn't play by these rules

>From the King of Kings of the East and West, the Great Khan. To Qutuz the Mamluk, who fled to escape our swords. You should think of what happened to other countries and submit to us. You have heard how we have conquered a vast empire and have purified the earth of the disorders that tainted it. We have conquered vast areas, massacring all the people. You cannot escape from the terror of our armies. Where can you flee? What road will you use to escape us? Our horses are swift, our arrows sharp, our swords like thunderbolts, our hearts as hard as the mountains, our soldiers as numerous as the sand. Fortresses will not detain us, nor arms stop us. Your prayers to God will not avail against us. We are not moved by tears nor touched by lamentations. Only those who beg our protection will be safe. Hasten your reply before the fire of war is kindled. Resist and you will suffer the most terrible catastrophes. We will shatter your mosques and reveal the weakness of your God and then will kill your children and your old men together. At present you are the only enemy against whom we have to march.

leave this fucking board

so much rage ITT

history majors are naturally filled with rage due to their poor choice in degrees.

Unlike STEMtards who are filled with too much autism to actually feel emotions

MOAR
Also I want the sauce for those things.

one thing is discussing something, another is asking a question that has a simple answer wich wikipedia can answer for itself

That's neither appropriate nor productive.

First one was a letter sent from Batu to King Bela. Second was from Helegu to the Mamluks. Here's one from Mongke to the King of France.

Wherever ears can hear, wherever horses can travel, there let it be heard and known: these who do not believe, but resist Our Commandments, shall not be able to see with their eyes, or hold with their hands, or walk with their feet.... The Commandments of the Eternal are what we impart to you. If you will obey us, send your ambassadors, that we may know whether you wish for peace or war. But if you say, Our Country is far, our mountains are strong, and our sea is wide, then you shall find what we can do. For the Eternal makes plain what is difficult, and brings near that which is afar. Such was the substance with many repetitions, of the reply which One lord of Earth, inspired by the One God of Heaven, deigned to make to a King whom he already regarded as a vassal anxious for his favor. As to the previous missions to and from the French court in the Levant, they were nothing; David was an imposted, and Ogul Gaimish had no authority. For in affairs of war and peace and the welfare of a great realm, what could this woman, viler than a bitch know or do?

The declaration of war is more to help mobilize your own country than some kind of diplomatic custom.

Why the fuck wold we do that ?

That's pretty fucking rad

Back to riddit

You mean with filled bank accounts.

Shut the fuck up /pol/ nigger there are atleast some people here who want to discuss more than WW2 or the crusades.

Fuck off faggot, there's nothing wrong with this thread

End yourself.I bet you are a stormfag.

What did you seriously think you were going to accomplish with a history degree, you thick faggot? Your best case scenario is college professor.
>history = emotion
If you're biased, sure. Can't even examine history objectively and you're trying to get certified to do it for a living. Fucking shameful.

sciencemag.org/news/2016/03/slaughter-bridge-uncovering-colossal-bronze-age-battle

pretty neat

/thread

The following is reddit:
WHAT IS THE ANSWER TO MY 100 level INTRO TO SUBJECT QUESTION GUYS!?

This isn't your history summed up in 1 sentance john green video.
Read some shit and come here and discuss it.

We already know history based Gregor's ideas, we're here to talk about them.

We're here to shit on Bart Ehrman not get a summary of his book.

Fucking normie get out.

>he thinks STEMtards get jobs

*CHIMPS SCREAMING*

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashvamedha

Christ, this thread is a microcosm of all the shit wrong with Veeky Forums.