So lets say I want to make an app similar to Uber. Two questions

So lets say I want to make an app similar to Uber. Two questions

>What programming language should it be in?

>How much would the entire project cost?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/xamarin/mobile-samples
github.com/xamarinhq/app-acquaint
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Doesn't matter. What matters is that you obviously can't code
Just to make the app, about 0$

in b4 OP starts looking for some "coder dudes" to implement his wicked sweet app idea and then split the equity 70-30 his way

You know, Zuckerberg might get a bad rap but I totally understand why he fucked over the Winklevoss twins.

It's simple. If you can't code / develop yourself, don't start a tech business.
Most of them fail and lose money because you won't have a minimum viable product without the costs associated with hiring people and knowledge.

Also, questions like:
> What programming language should it be in?
indicate you haven't thought a second about the architecture of your idea.

Swift for iOS, Kotlin for Android.
Or maybe xamarin when you know how to do it properly.

A lot. A shitty mobile MVP costs at least 10k USD.
Unless you develop it yourself, but it's going to take a while.

If you want it to be pretty much the same as uber you can Google "uber clone script" and buy a premade clone.

I love how you retards assume that I don't know how to code. I'm fluent in Java/Obj-C but was just wondering what languages Veeky Forums would rec.

>It's simple. If you can't code / develop yourself, don't start a tech business.
I agree tho, it already failed once due to my father not knowing a lick of any OOP languages.

>Most of them fail and lose money because you won't have a minimum viable product without the costs associated with hiring people and knowledge.
Oh, there's a shitload of people wanting to be hired. The three original founders of the company were actually being contacted constantly by people asking to be hired. The niche is ripe for the taking.

Xamarin and java are my two main languages I'm considering.

>A lot. A shitty mobile MVP costs at least 10k USD.
Do you have more information about these prices?

>wondering what languages Veeky Forums would rec
what retard asks the cryptocurrency board on an anime forum for advice on programming language?
>due to my father not know...
>blaming others instead of learning
not gonna make it

You don't get my point.
What I'm saying is: if you can't code you HAVE to pay up front before you know whether your product is going to make it or not, because you have to pay the people you hire.

Being a developer solves this problem, as you have flexibility and your only sacrifice is your time.

Deciding which language to use before considering an architecture is a dumb move if you'd ask me. You either:

- Should not choose a language as you should use your most fluent language to get your prototype (MVP) up and running ASAP
- Choose according to the architecture and requirements you've got

The only true advice here.
Also,

The backend?
Scala most likely.
Front end - whatever is native on the phone.

Cost for an uber like app?
300k, if we talk about a team of three average devs and a designer. Half a year of work.

Thank you user.

Also, regarding compatibility and cyber security, should I just worry about that later? I'm going to want it to be compatible with iphone later on.

Why the fuck would you waste your time? Uber and Lyft already own the market dude, you literally cannot provide a service that other people would want to use. The fact you are asking so much about it on a forum of neets is also a dead giveaway that you have no experience in tech business.

>security, should I just worry about that later?
Yes, as we all know it's much easier to just patch things haphazardly into a system that wasn't even designed for it when you already have problems

>app similar to Uber
Stop right there. Learn to program in Solidity and develop a smart contract on the Ethereum Network that won't just compete with Uber, but outright replace it.

I said similar to uber, not an uber clone. I'm not going into the taxi service, but something in a completely different niche.

> Xamarin and java are my two main languages I'm considering.

>Do you have more information about these prices?
Well, a good iOS dev would charge at least $40/h, and it would take him 2 to 4 weeks to build a simple MVP.
Add 2-4 weeks more for the android version, and you get something aroud 10k.

Agencies would charge more, of course. And a freelancer from upwork/freelancer.com would charge less, but the risk is high.

Thanks user, why did you link the xamarin github page tho

Security doesn't have to be a load of work.
It however is an important part of your MVP - for example, you should be able to log in and out correctly.

This means you should have basic authentication working. Use bcrypt/scrypt for password storage, not some obscure MD5-hashing algorithm that doesn't actually store passwords safely.

Store the users in whatever database you want to use. I love NoSQL for prototyping, as it saves loads of hassle dealing with schemas.

Connection security can be ensured using TLS. Generate a self-signed x509-certificate which you will use during prototyping. If you've got a domain, use Let's Encrypt if you want a cheap certificate that is supported by modern browsers.

As for compatibility, you should just expose an API which is platform-independent.

----

My workflow for rapid prototyping usually is the following:

1) Write down in which mode the different nodes operate. Simple server-client or a mesh network?
2) Write down how they are going to interact. Which protocols are they going to use? HTTPS? MQTTS?
3) Which messages are going to be exchanged and how should they be handled? (How is your API setup)
4) Decide what (and if) you want to store in your database. Which database would be the best for the job?
5) Now start working on the backend. This includes unit-tests, database setup and whatnot
- Connections should be working
- Messages should be handled correctly (correct response is sent)
6) Quickly create a frontend/app with the necessary buttons etcetera. Don't spend too much time on CSS/app layout.
7) Secure your connection using TLS.

Once a prototype makes it, I would continue using the prototype as your foundation.
Because if your service actually becomes big, you can hire people to rewrite it in a more suitable language that handles the load better than your current setup, such as Erlang.

Therefore, make sure it is maintainable (readable code, not one giant monolith).

OP, I legit worked at an uber clone startup for about a year as it scaled through a Series A round of funding along with government regulatory agency approvals. FYI US Gov't requires 99.999% accuracy for mileage readings due to taxi union lobbying (because apps don't have a hard wired odometer reading like a cab box does). How is your advanced trig and understanding of geolocation tech? How are you going to handle hills and tunnels where GPS signal is lost? What about Z axis elevation variations? Have a portable faraday device for validation? I know this because I did this.

This shit is not easy OP. Took a mid-senior team of a dozen developers with 50+ years combined software dev XP about a year to get it up and running reliably with scale, that's not even considering the business side.

It was fullstack JS w/ node, mongo, angular, and swift for iOS.

100% don't want to discourage you from trying it out, but as other posters have noted it is a market dominated by Uber and Lyft.

And literally any niche idea you might have will only require Uber/Lyft to notice you digging into their profit margin, or, your pointing out a new niche they could gain to push you out of the market with the flip of a switch.

They will let you do the dirty work of R&D on that niche, then fuck you out of the market when they feel like it.

Competitors to the app i worked on used ruby & python.

And no, I don't want to work on your fucking uber clone app.

But... if you want to pay me a bunch of money to consult with you on the topic, I will gladly take your money and tell you how dumb you are to try over and over again. :)

>claims to be a competent programmer
>gee man should i wait until a catastrophic vulnerability completely fucks over my codebase before i start caring about best security practices
You're fucking stupid man.

Is it like Uber but for medical professionals?

amazon cognito handles auth very well, and it's pretty easy to get started. Also pretty cheap.

And elixir is pretty cool. Building APIs with phoenix is so easy it's ridiculous.

Sorry, wrong link:
github.com/xamarinhq/app-acquaint

It's an example app with geolocation. Might be useful.