Starting an IRA/Roth IRA

Anyone got advice on the best place to do this and how to start building a portfolio?

I'm self-employed and have my own LLC, so no employer 401k match. Probably time I open a retirement account. I plan to contribute the max and stick to safe, conservative ETFs to begin with.

OH shit sorry buddy, no real financial advice here, just idiot NEETs

ok but seriously since you're LLC you've already looked into solo 401k right? at that point the choice really depends on your annual income
imo, Roth is only ideal if your income is very low (15% bracket) or if you already have a 401k and your MAGI exceeds the traditional IRA's window for which it's deductible, up until the Roth income limits

Ahh I have not looked into solo 401k, what are the main advantages for that?

My income is only around $65k, I'm an independent contractor but have an LLC that's just me (shell company type thing for liability/tax purposes...pretty much everyone in my profession does this).

I'm thinking a simple/traditional IRA could help me on taxes, but I'm nervous about how much I'll have to pay when I withdraw this shit down the line :/

I'm just tired of the IRS fucking my mouth every time I turn around

Roth IRA if you're in a low income bracket. Otherwise, IRA. Put all your funds in VTSAX.

Consider a SEP-IRA

I'm curious: Can you do a retirement fund match using the shell company to reduce taxes in some way? I assume the shell company has to pay taxes. Are those in any way higher than personal income tax (so matching would make you pay less tax I think) and/or does the shell company hold onto any money that doesn't get paid to you as personal income?

Sorry I'm not too knowledgeable myself. My ideas are probably half-baked but I'm curious myself.

I'm looking at the Individual 401k that mentioned. And it looks similar to what you're describing.

Basically I can contribute twice, once as the employee and once as the employer as a quasi "employer match" situation. Unfortunately, I can't find anything about the tax implications...whether the money that goes in is subject to taxes on the front end, or if it's tax free but you get hit when you withdraw after age 59.5

401k's can be either traditional or Roth as well, even if there's no match you should prioritize a 401k over IRA

as for which brokerage to go with, the best choices are still fidelity schwab or vanguard

pick one for convenience, service, website, etc. because their offerings at this point are nearly identical

edward jones, raymond james, and whatever other shitty franchises you see all over the place are literal scams

Fuggg that Roth i401k on vangaurd sounds nice

My dad has a financial advisor with raymond james and he's been happy with them. Personally I think those places just exist to earn themselves fees, but my dad is somewhat high net worth so I think they treat him pretty well.

oh yeah if you've got the cash to burn they'll gladly stroke your dick
that's how they're still in business, boomers are stubborn and want to be "treated"

>I'm curious: Can you do a retirement fund match using the shell company to reduce taxes in some way?

Yes, this is why it was created, to allow sole proprietorships to access the same tax benefits that larger corporations receive for retirement benefits.

The major downside I'm seeing to vangaurd's i401k is you can only invest in mutual funds and not ETFs. Is there a reason for this?

I thought ETFs were vastly superior to mutual funds for passive investing?

>I thought ETFs were vastly superior to mutual funds for passive investing?

It really doesn't matter when you're working with retirement vehicles. Vanguard Admiral funds have expense ratios as low as any ETF and you shouldn't be moving money around different funds with a frequency high enough to realize the benefits of ETFs.

no, they are hardly any different to the end user
ETF's are useful in taxable accounts
I prefer funds in any tax advantaged accounts because you can hold fractional shares

>edward jones, raymond james, and whatever other shitty franchises you see all over the place are literal scams
Can you explain why? Thanks

I am about to get a 50k signing bonus for my job. Can anyone recommend any serious investments i should consider?

Unless you're an old grandma who has no idea how to use the Internet and literally no idea what the fuck you are doing, its cheaper and more efficient to do things on your own.

But how does that make them a scam?

kneepads

>VTSAX
how can you start an IRA with VTSAX if the minimum investment is $10,000?

Just start a roth IRA with Vanguard, buy their etf's and pick and choose what you want if you want to be conservative.

You need VTSMX, which is the investor-class total market fund from Vanguard.

excuse me?