Was Imperialism really a thing?

Was Imperialism really a thing?
Is africa fucked today simply because they're too dumb?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=OMwI5unlK9M
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Yes, History shows that africa under western control was at its peak in progress.

There is a reason Africa is a shithole, and it ain't because of the eurobeaners. Its because its average iq is 60, ape level

Yes, actually, it was, especially in places like the Congo and the Belgians, along with the Portuguese. Whatever limited investments in infrastructure and education the European powers provided (95% done to promote their own extraction of resources rather than any humanitarian goal) was inconsequential compared to the ethnic tensions they happily encouraged to maintain their own power. Hell, even outside of Africa you have great examples like the whole Israeli-Palestinian conflict which was 70% encouraged by the Brits in order to maintain power in Israel by having the Jews and Muslims blame each other rather than Brits.

Ironically this. Besides Belgium, the European Empires brought with them cultural diffusion which would have greatly helped Africans today had they not been so brainwashed by (((anti-colonial))) propaganda.

>70% encouraged by the Brits in order to maintain power in Israel by having the Jews and Muslims blame each other rather than Brits.
Israel uses the anglospear as their whore. Your deluded.

*Anglosphere

Continuing on from this point there's a great book from Dambisa Moyo, Dead Aid, that shows how even humanitarian western aid fucks up African countries. Basically if you want to see Africa progress stop either trying to 1. dominate them or 2. make them dependent on handouts forever.

I wasn't talking about the contemporary era, I was talking about British Palestine, which is a great example of imperialism. They actively encouraged both sides to hate each other and used this for their own benefit to kill any sort of anti-imperialist movement for about 30 years, and then decided to just say "lol okay guys we're leaving good luck figuring out how to make a stable country" when they pulled out in 1948.

>Is africa fucked today simply because they're too dumb?

Even if it was because of colonization it'd be the case
The reason why Africa got colonized is because they were still living like prehistorical apes with spears as most advanced weapons when Europeans had rifles

The way those borders were drawn didn't help much.

Africa is mostly fucked because it's corrupt. That corruption might to varying degrees be because of colonialism, but it's also the case that the people who lived in Africa when the Europeans came had no interest in civilization and were happy living in tribal society, so they haven't lived with complex institutions and governance for millennia like Europeans.

yes and it affect everyone, not just africans

africa being fucked up has less thing to do with colonialism than africans simply being africans

I don't know if you're /pol/ falseflagging or leftypol but fuck off with this retarded image

Lol why did SA and Africa never fight back?

Lol I'd hate to be a loser haha

by that logic asia should be the greatest continent on the planet

most colonised countries weren't on their way to be developed and many still aren't

That and sociopathic african leaders not giving a damn how many of their people starve to death as long as they can use them a way to sucker whites into giving aid money which really goes into their pockets.

>sociopathic african leaders

Yeah, it's impossible to overstate how true that is.

youtube.com/watch?v=OMwI5unlK9M

>Was Imperialism really a thing?

Yes.

No. Its largely fucked because the borders were divided on Western colonies rather than the people who were left behind. They always would have been behind in many ideas because Africa was inpenetrable and they remained isolated (and still does).

Why are people here so artistically edgy in regards to Africans?

Makes it really hard to engage in discussion when you to deal with edgelords and retards

>(((anti-colonial))) propaganda.

What is this propaganda?

But AID helps out in a lots of places if you bother to heck the help they contributed. Yes Aid has flaws but simply gutting it completely is gonna make things a lot worse and there are changes in how aid is being implemented currently. when a ship swaying heavily don't all run to the other side to make it stable.

Africa is making lots of progress but that isn't what gets peopel to read headlines or to search for African news.

Telling the truth isn't edgy

>Was Imperialism really a thing?
Yes. Undoubtedly.
No cases of societal decline or collapse are explained by single factors. Anyone who claims they are is full of shit.

Wrong. There were several functioning states before colonialism in SSA. Many societies had iron metallurgy and complex land management.

Because they are historically the shittiest continent and that persists to this day

what a dishonest image

> by that logic asia should be the greatest continent on the planet

I was gonna say, why are North Korea/Vietnam/Indonesia really not that hot right now?

In general, westernisation is something that occurred in opposition to the west. Y'know, become whitey as much as necessary to kill whitey.

>so they haven't lived with complex institutions and governance for millennia like Europeans.

You mean liike Romans and Greeks ?

Rest of Europe got civilized only about 5-6 centuries before african colonization.

It depends on how you measure progress. Africans survived before European colonialism and they're surviving now. If humanity were to end tomorrow the petty differences between one race, culture, region wouldn't matter. Most people who want to pursue an education or have a high standard of living emigrate to western countries because they already have what their government cannot provide. Western countries maintain their high standard of living through exploiting poorer countries. How else would you afford that new I-phone if it wasn't mined for pennies by some poor nigga in Africa.

Protip: humans are apes

>scan thread
>primary cause of dysfunction is that the borders are drawn wrong

kek

But there are many reasons why Africa has a hard time.

Geography/Climate
>little to no glaciation during the ice age so the arable top soil is shallower than average
>tropical climate zone, all techs for ag in Fertile Crescent and Egypt need to be adapted, crops are different
>Lack of building materials that last long term

Animals
>teatse fly
>ferocious large mammals

Social
>Population densities are lower than average due to disease prevention and centuries of slave trading
>kingdoms and empires seem to come and go but fail to leave behind lasting nations or even institutions that the conquerors can build off of

tl;dr
Africa already had a huge number of disadvantages before the Europeans arrived. Some things got worse, others better.

lol i actually agree

>What is google?

>centuries of slave trading
How does this make sense? Blacks breed like rabbits.

>snownigger doesn't understand that poor fertility levels and presence of incurable diseases borne by the tsetse fly don't allow for conducive populations.

Asia is already overtaking the west in superiority.

>many of them were in the iron age
Hmmm, not impressed

because this is a pseudo history discussion board on an anime imageboard

Ebin

>snownigger meme
Northern europeans weren't even as primitive during antiquity as most of Africa was when it was colonized. Hell there's enough iron age African kingdoms to count on one hand.

South America did fight back, they gained their independence through rebellion.

this documentary was really interesting.

Sad part is unless there's a massive societal and governmental shift, all the infrastructure china is building is gonna end up just like their current stuff

I think you mean skype

It's shit. It shows you nothing about the Congo's history or it's path to today or the people's personal experience. It's only an okay slice of life.

nowhere did it mention ANYTHING about Mobutu Sese Seko.

India was exploited far more than Africa by imperialism. By orders of magnitude. And in terms of hdi is as bad as Africa. People always looks at Africa for the scars of imperialism but India an open wound they miss.

>tfw you will never go on a giant safari shooting tigers with your bros while little Pajeets carries all your equipment for you

India is improving though and actually has a future.

Latinamerica was underdeveloped because political and society issues. And countries like Argentina, Uruguay, Chile, or even Mexico were as developed as Europe in the past.

Its not fair to judge their "failure" to colonialism. Maybe EEUU is responsable for their influence on putting dictators at charge, but no at all.

Africa is just another world. With or without colonialism, they would be poor anyway.

Sorry for my english.

Except India is actually the world's largest democracy, and is a declared nuclear weapons state.

India is an example of a country that shed their colonial chains, and appropriated the good parts of their overlords.

If anything many of Africa's nations should've learned from the Indians.

these images and arguments always imply that colonist literally sucked the continent dry of all resources. africa is still so fucking resource rich its ridiculous and the same goes for south america. the interesting thing is that when european colonialists left suddenly, amazingly, the former colonial states became such shitholes and most regressed to pre enlightenment levels of discourse and governance, destroying every important institution and facility in the process.
These places are shite partly because they were left in the dust and partly because they had such an anti colonial view (i mean they said fucc whitey and destroyed all former symbols of white rule) that they literally ruined their own countries and exploited their own people on similar, sometimes worse levels that the former "exploiters" had

Why are first worlders are all extreme in their arguments, it's all always all or nothing. why can't they acknowledge the kingdoms and empires that happened in Africa for what it was. Why do they need to be greater than European ones? I feel like they keep moving the goalposts.

Sometimes I feel like people are just mean and need to feel superior to someone else because they are shit in their own country(of course there are successful people who are like this too but the majority isn't). I have the impression that it gives them comfort to think they are better than someone else no matter who because of their ancestors. I think they look at other people different from them and they have these thoughts about a hidden potential. I think like this: Greeks were great but it doesn't mean that everyone in Greece were an intelligent man. I feel like people in first world countries think they are all "nobles" when they are the equivalent of the "plebs" if we compared now and then.

>pol
yes, a relatively poor state for european standards, of 7 million people, ripe with ethnic and religious strife, incvluding on an off wars, is controling the anglosphere.

tbqh the situation in pre-colonial India was vastly different from pre-colonial africa.

>Its because its average iq is 60, ape level
but why?

>kentucky public education

Imperialism was good.
An influx of niggers = societal decline.
I think an influx of whites = societal uplifting.

Everybody say it with me now:
*N*I*G*G*E*R*S*
Real reason is that there brains are less evolved and genetically inferior than the other races.

This is something I read about as well. Western charity is basically hamstringing the African economy. Local farmers cannot make any money because of free food, local businesses can't compete with western goods being given away or sold dirt cheap. Plus the brain drain: every halfway intelligent African gets scooped up by some well-meaning western university and given a free ride, and of course they never want to go back after living in western decadence.

And most of them were still in the stone age. And those are the ones who ended up as slaves since they made easy victims for their more developed neighbors, especially after they began trading with Europeans and acquired more modern armaments, thus widening the tech gap.

The strangest thing about colonial Africa that I learned is that the economic output of the african territories amounted to jack shit, which makes me question why the hell Africa was colonised at all.

A mix of prestige and not wanting to be outdone by your fellow European countries I guess.

Also (and I'm speaking for France here), there were some people who genuinely believed they had to bring civilization to the unwashed African masses. The whole colonisation process also met severe opposition from other people who thought the money sunk into it would be better used in creating railways, hospitals and schools in France proper instead of in bumfuck nowhere on another continent.

India actually had infrastructure built for beuracratic ruling. Africa had it built for resource exploitation. India was a conglomerate that Brits wanted to keep together. African was a mess that was constantly stirred to make it easier to rule.

>which makes me question why the hell Africa was colonised at all
While the colonies might have been a net cost to the state, the resources harvested there probably made the individuals involved quite wealthy. So it was just capitalism.

I want a cute CGDCT slice of life about clumsy Africa-chan and her exasperated boss, Chinaman-san.