Is this game historically accurate?

Is this game historically accurate?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunomata_Castle
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

No, but it is fun and was great for it's time.

The issue with units not clipping was a problem, though. Too bad the sequels were all shit.

>Arbitrary armor and weapon combinations (You want unarmored swordsmen? Archers in metal armor? TOO FUCKING BAD
>Your population can live without food, as long as they have priestly blessings and beer, happiness will keep increasing!
>All units fight until the death.
>It's never night time
>Your army, which will grow to about 6-12 times your civilian population, has no need of food or pay beyond their initial outfitting costs.
>Fire attacks everywhere.

No, it fucking isn't. But like the other user said, it was a great game.

what is some historically accurate vidya?

Try Avalon Hill's Advanced Civilization. (Technically, it's a board game that got converted to vidya, but close enough)

age of empires 2

those nitpicks would be autistic

Victoria II
Silent Hunter III

All the vidya you'll ever need

Doesn't really exist.

>>Your population can live without food, as long as they have priestly blessings and beer, happiness will keep increasing!
I think that's only possible in Stronghold Crusader, in Stronghold no food means -8 in popularity whereas beer and churches can just get you +4 each (difficult to attain for churches), so at best happiness stays the same.

How accurate is this?

user froths at mouth that simplified game mechanics don't accurately represent the complex interactions we go through daily and don't even register in real life. Many such cases!

Prostagma?

Etimos

Poor Little Roman Consul

>I think that's only possible in Stronghold Crusader, in Stronghold no food means -8 in popularity whereas beer and churches can just get you +4 each (difficult to attain for churches), so at best happiness stays the same.

You'll also get a small amount (+2, IIRC) for just having a cathedral.

What's also pretty fascinating is how your subjects have money and can pay you taxes when the castle is pretty much a planned economy without money circulation whatsoever

>>Your army, which will grow to about 6-12 times your civilian population, has no need of food or pay beyond their initial outfitting costs.

It would be better if units cost food, the armies grow too large as it is now

>as long as they have priestly blessings and beer, happiness will keep increasing!
OK, but what's unture?

yeah right, I forgot that. But I think the cathedral bonus isn't permanent, it goes away pretty quick

How would Veeky Forums design a fun but historically accurate vidya?

>OK, but what's unture?

The idea that your stronghold can go along just fine with 0 food indefinitely.

It's been a while, but I thought it was permanent, and it was the blessing bonus that varied based on how many peasants your priests got to.

I was thinking an RPG set in Mesopotamia.

It's all first person, and you have to go around convincing a bunch of bronze age niggas to go fuck other niggas up and then personally lead them in battle.

I think Mount and Blade: Warband managed to capture the essence of feudalism pretty well.

100% MEDICALLY ACCURATE!!!!!

I'd like to scale things back to something small in scale. With how powerful PCs have gotten, everyone is crazy for games that only happen on the scale of whole kingdoms and continents, or whole armies. This leads to a lot of hand waving and inaccuracies.

I'd want to focus on something like commanding a pike square, commanding them to survive battle after battle, outfitting them with weapons and armor in various ratios and positions, etc.

the accuratest ever

Ass Creeds are great when it comes to cities, utter shit when it comes to anything else.

>leather armours

>as long as they have priestly blessings and beer, happiness will keep increasing!
pretty accurate desu

panem et religio

>Your population can live without food, as long as they have priestly blessings and beer, happiness will keep increasing!

Sounds accurate desu senpai.

I blobbed the world as Mongolia in EU4 recently. I tried releasing some vassals and having them fight to the death for my amusement, but I could not get them to declare war on eachother.

100%

>tfw castle drops are real

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunomata_Castle

>Victoria II
*builds liquor factory*

Which is the comfiest?

Was it possible for individual soldiers to demolish walls stone by stone?

bronze

Damn is that drop craftsmanship between the dark age to the middle age (really weren't they same?) Accurrate?

off course, everithing about age of empires is historicaly accurate

Kingdom Come: Deliverance seems like it might hit that sweet spot. If they manage to optimise it, I think it's going to be pretty ducking good.

>9gag

that's empire earth not age of empire

>a game spanning prehistory to the far future
I'm definitely going to look into this game more, thanks user

It's not that good, to be honest. It's AoE2 with zillions of ages instead of just 4, and the strategy calculation of advance vs crank more troops is heavily biased towards the latter, in part because the units are not balanced very well towards ages outside their own.

So, for instance, 1v1, a crossbowman beats a ww1 era infantry every single time. And you're not spending zillions of resources advancing 3 ages.

If you want a not-AoE2 that allows you to mess around with stuff from the stone age to the (near) future Rise of Nations would be a better choice than Empire Earth.

You're welcome. Dont listen to the naysayers.

Enjoy the campaigns.

think if it as the difference between Romano-Gauls, Frankish-Gauls and French.

>So, for instance, 1v1, a crossbowman beats a ww1 era infantry every single time. And you're not spending zillions of resources advancing 3 ages.

It's been a long time since I played that game, but I really don't remember this.

But yeah, it is totally just a blatant attempt to horn in on Age of Empires turf.

Also this, the campaigns are pretty good.

It was because the crossbowmen had a special that they would one hit kill any "infantry" type unit.

In the Middle ages, with a lot of the best units being cavalry and missile guys, that's not such a big deal. However, the "infantry" designation carries over from age to age, and no matter what type it is, the crossbowman can kill it in one hit.

So a doughboy? (Don't entirely remember the name), while having hugely better stats and a ranged attack, is still an infantry class unit, and will still be one hit killed by a crossbowman. And he's not enough stronger to bring down the crossbowmen with his better range and higher shoot value before the crossbowman gets a shot off.

But I will concede, the campaigns are quite good; but it's in large part because they drop the central conceit of the game, at least as it was advertised. I can't think of a single campaign mission where you can advance more than one age, maybe there's a handful where you can go up 2. Most of them stick to a single age, and that's where the game works better at.

>9gag

No, only age of empires 2 is 100% historically accurate.

The Holy Mod may preach peace, but when it is the board itself that is threatened, it is every poster's duty to defend all that is holy. His Holiness the Admin has called a crusade to reclaim the threads from reddit, who would deny posters their right to post dankly in the holy threads. It is time for the boards to put aside their differences and unite under one banner, the sign of the meme, and give back to the autists what is rightfully theirs or die shitposting.

A Medieval city builder, but one that's more hands-off policy and appeasement of townsfolk like SimCity instead of the micromanagement of Anno.

>Shoot 14 arrows
>Kill only one soldier
Um, what is wrong with that one? It's ridiculously good ratio, to the point, if this was true there would be no more melee since ancient/medieval period.

>cryengine
>optimisation

choose1

>not having a monster rig that can run Cryengine games

Mah nigga. The commerce cap is a bitch though.

It was not intended to be played like that its more like you pick a historical period to play

the game was designed around hte single player the multiplayer was more of an addon they never finished

It's been a long time, and that might not be what the game devs were saying, but that was how it was advertised, or at least that's how I remember it as such. "Guide your empire from the Stone Age to the Space Age" and whatnot.

>A Medieval city builder, but one that's more hands-off policy and appeasement of townsfolk like SimCity instead of the micromanagement of Anno.
So, medieval version of Pharaoh?

No, less an RTS where you plop down structures and have to corral worker ants around to build up resources efficiently, and more controlling the levers of laws and taxes to attract settlers, merchants, and guilds to build things on their own.

I'm p sure firing archers require a constant flow of wood for arrows

I just want something like CK2 that starts off around the end of antiquity and goes all the way through until the renaissance.

... so just CK2?

there was a game which allowed you to hire gong farmers and rat catchers, was accurate enough

ck2 + charlemagne dlc

you're welcome

There's kids on this board who have never played "empire earth"

How do I enjoy Crusader Kings II Veeky Forums? I love the history of that period, but I find it hard to enjoy the game. There's so many things to keep track of and wait for, and I'm oftentimes unsure how to proceed.

Am I just to stupid for CKII?

Checked
What do you have a problem with?
>inb4 vague answer

It's not really I have a problem, It's just that I find it hard to keep up cause there's so many options and things to watch out for. I'm still doing the tutorial session with Alphonse, and it's just a bit confusing.

I feel like once I get acclimated to all the options it'll be more enjoyable, but for now I just find it difficult to play effectively.

it's really not that hard, just watch a bunch of popular lets plays and keep playing the game, even a dumbass likes me can conquer the world in ironman.

A lot of shit is / can be automated. Honestly I don't know if I'm completely autistic but to me CK2 is extremely easy and simple and by far the most accessible Paradox game.

Ok, well here's a more specific question. Should I be pausing the game frequently in order to do things? Also how long does the game go into? Theoretically, if you are an excellent player and you always maintain an heir, how far into history does the game go?

>Should I be pausing the game frequently in order to do things?
Yep, that's a given. I pause basically every time I want to do something.

>Theoretically, if you are an excellent player and you always maintain an heir, how far into history does the game go?
I think it ends around 15th century.

Ehhhh..... good evenin gents -_-

Stale unfunny meme that refuses to die

Hellloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo alex!

Ok. I think really the most confusing part for me is the military stuff. I haven't embarked on any battles yet. About to go aid Philip though.

are we being raided

I do personally. But then when I play multiplayer that pisses a lot of people off.

>multiplayer
Fuck OFF back to your steamgroup

>multiplayer
Honestly I'd like to play more multiplayer but I love pausing and micromanaging shit.

If you play multiplayer, its expected of you to do everything at speed 3.

I don't like it but I manage.

Then I pause it and blame my cat on the keyboard.

Literally kill yourself

I've been playing as England and trying to discover and convert to Lollardry
how do?