>Tfw African-American

>Tfw Caucasians, Asians, Latinos, Native Americans, and even Africans can all trace their history back thousands of years one way or another.
>Tfw my ancestors were taken as slaves and our family has no idea where we come from or what our history is, it's basically "we were enslaved and then got freed" and that is it.

I know that my ancestors probably didn't do much in history relatively speaking but it would still be nice to actually know who they were and what they did achieve. It sucks to have no real history.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_empires
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You were probably the bottom rung of your own kind, sold to Europeans as property because you lost a war.

Just claim that you are descended from pharaohs.

You were kings and queens, ruling from your thrones atop the pyramids.

Even if that's so I'll never, EVER know who my kind actually was.

Just make some shit up lad. My family are just poor Irish twats but one day someone told me i could pass for norwegian so i learned a bit of the language and now pretend to be a viking.

You can test your DNA and sometimes markers show up for a general region.

African-Americans have a disproportionate amount of time in entertainment and media.

Most people used to only imagine Americans as blonde hair, blue eyes now but now you guy's are right alongside with them!

P.S I used to have a Nigerian Friend who told me it was much easier to get girls in Japan/Europe as long as you said you were an AA and acted like one.

>WE WUZ
You're an American, that's all that matters. Don't pretend that people going we wuz living in fjords n shit aren't pathethic.

I know I'm primarily Senegalese, Liberian, Sierra Leonean and Nigerian but I have Malagasy roots as well that are confirmed from oral history and genetic testing.

We were instrumental in the art, cultivation and construction of great rice plantations in South Carolina, Louisiana, Georgia and other places in the New World.

People forget two different rice species were domesticated; one in southern China and other in West Africa.

Beyond that we were instrumental in cotton another species also domesticated in Africa (with Native Americans and South Asians having domesticated them as well) along with indigo (the process perfected in the US by a black Caribbean slave in the Sea Islands) as well as Cattle husbandry and iron working (as noted in Charleston).

We've done a lot, our pre-enslavement was marked with an interesting development. Unlike the rest of the world our non-Hunter gatherer history begins with Cattle before crop development. We were agro-pastoralists who adapted kreb (managed but not tilled and sowed extensive fields of grains) into a number of crops: sorghum, pearl millet, rice, fonio, cowpeas, bambara peas, etc.... that influenced much of the semi-arid world.

Our societies developed not in the embodied wealth of the land but rather in the bodied wealth of people who were under the tribute of leaders. It was actually so divergent that the Portuguese spent a couple centuries trying to end this way of viewing wealth.

Regardless our marks in the New World and the United States though little recognized are fundamental in our nation's course of development and history.

Don't fret, we the bee's knees :3

My ancestry traces back to Ireland. Basically the same but white.

>African-American
Gotta ask, why do Americans force this meme term so hard? I mean, I'm South African, and I have worked both as a lifeguard and as a waiter at a hotel restaurant, so I come into contact with a lot of tourists. I have encountered, on several occasions, Americans calling South African blacks "African-American." Why can't you just say black?

Italian here, but grandparents on dad's side were from northeastern Italy up until 200 years ago or so and were probably from somewhere in the balkans before that, but I don't know which country exactly.
Don't really have a very clear idea of what my family tree is like on my mother's side.
At the end of the day, most people won't know much about their ancestry past their great-grandparents.
I sometimes wonder what it would be like to go trace back my roots, but it's not like I have that much time for that.
Also there's relatives I know of that we never hear from so it's not like I'd expect much from meeting up with long lost relatives.

>tl;dr: everyone's ancestry past their great grandparents is going to be very fuzzy unless your family has always lived in the same city/town for centuries, but I'd say that's the minority of cases.

Who the fuck cares?

Do you not see the glaring inverse correlation between how far one achieves in life and how much pride they have in their heritage? Particularly in relation to the US

Take this as an opportunity to be the very first in your line

Genetically speaking your ancestors were either black slaves or white slave owners.
Yes, the latter are your ancestor too, biologically speaking.
Blacks in this country have more slave owner ancestry than whites. They are about 25% white on avg.

Nobody chooses their ancestors and most people's ancestors didn't do much in history relatively speaking either.

How come in South Africa you don't call the white people European-Africans?

this desu

There were some cool african kingdoms in west Africa, from where your ancestors came to America.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_empires
Maybe do a DNA test and find out if you were kang or something.

I'm a Latino and I'm lucky if I can't trace my familiar lineage for three generations, my state paper records are shit and the only way to find out who were my ancestors would be to trudge through the baptism records of the church, which I'm not going to do.

The sweet thing is: I don't really care

>Correlates pride in heritage with negative success rate
{Citations Needed}

>tfw kang
kys

There was a big study that should that whites associate the term "black" with negative stereotypes. So rather than say black and challenge their hatred of the notion of blackness they went with African American.

Though to be fair until the 70s blacks didn't use the term it was extremely derogatory like saying nigger even amongst themselves. Young people changed that.

Aren't you just the edgiest of edgelords

edgy racism bro

Bruh I'm mayflower white and in my family it comes down to

>I'm some Irish Scottish hybrid line
>I'm named after a dude from the Alamo
>I'm apparently related to Lee, though what southerner isn't

Meanwhile I'm just a barely passing comp engineering student grinding shit out.

I mean, I guess Ive got more background, but I really don't give a shit about any dead ancestor other them my father.

WE

Not necessarily.
There are some of stories of literal KANGZ of large tribes being sold as slaves once they were overthrown.

If it makes you feel better a lot of white people have this problem too. Just claim whichever culture you prefer.

Eg my mothers side moved around the Mediterranean a lot. Greek, Ottoman (turkish), Egyptian, Italian, Sicilian,

>tfw I can trace my entire ancestry for the past ten centuries to a string of villages in the dalmatian hinterland

feels inbred man

Stop being so damn edgy

>tfw can trace back my lineage for 14 generations
>no one of them did anything of note (unless you count petty crime and incest as noteworthy) during their lives

Feels pretty meh desu.

still better that Kazakhs

They make it up with their sweet flag tho

This reeks of WE WUZ

Fucking Google you uneducated egelord

>We've done a lot, our pre-enslavement was marked with an interesting development.
When exactly were you not enslaving each other?

People think slavery only started when Europeans came onto the scene as customers

>my father's line has been in the new world since 1666
>my mother's line is native Huron/French Canadian
>my grandfather traced his French ancestry back to 1300

WHEW

I was like OP. Thinking I was descended from losers who superior black tribes sold into slavery. Then I learned the truth about us. That we were Kings of ancient Egypt. Europeans wouldnt be anywhere without the knowledge they stole from us.

Come into the light, brother.

Kek, and what did it get them in the end? Enslaved and shit on by the rest of the world because they were too deeply rooted in their tribalism. You people love to try and act like Africa was some kind of fucking agrarian utopia where everyone shared everything and nobody fought ever, not to mention your "WE BUILT AMERICA AND SHEEIT" rhetoric that makes you look even more idiotic. When you adamantly look to the past to try and prove that your people are "superior" to another, you're no better than those you oppose that use the same tactics to prove their respective "superiority".

liberals are retarded

>tfw a white South African who moves to America is African American

Most people in West Africa were tributes, serfs and willing submitted to others. "Slave" the way Europeans interpreted it is rooted in a people on a fixed piece of land often times bought and sold with little autonomy.

"Slaves" and slavery were really not that.

>Jeffrey Herbst draws on the wealth-in-people concept when writing about power in pre-colonial Africa more generally, and about the challenges Europeans faced in trying to impose control within this environment. Herbst argues that the Europeans were unprepared for the dynamic they found in a “world where the extension and consolidation of power meant something very different from the broadcasting of authority in Europe or in postcolonial regions of the developing world.”

>Power in Africa was “nonterritorial,” a sharp contrast to the dynamics that had developed in Europe by the colonial era (though, Herbst argues, not necessarily earlier). Property was focused instead on people, who were comparatively scarce and very mobile. In order to gain power, a state or leader had to draw people in—and those people could leave, using the ample land resources available, if they were mistreated. Herbst argues that this challenge so frustrated Europeans that colonial states went to “elaborate lengths” to give the appearance of control, and responded with violence when these attempts failed or came under threat. Herbst thus shows that wealth-in-people had an impact not only on African societies before the colonial era, but also may have played a significant role in shaping and challenging colonialism as it developed.

>Power in Africa was “nonterritorial,”

sure

Every society had what historians define as slavery. Calling a rabbit a smeerp doesn't change anything.

Same...praise the kek
>tfw you realize you are hercegovac

u iz a kang

At least you're not an Abbo

Stop with the edge and look into a book. A chattel slave and chattel slavery is not west or central African originally.

Unless you say European serfs who could and would move around to different people at will were slaves I'm going to have to disagree.

It clearly wasn't. It just defeats the myth that the cast majority of Africa was out going unga bunga and making stone tools. In reality, it was Iron Age tier.

*vast

>A chattel slave and chattel slavery is not west or central African originally.
Slavery is more than chattel slavery. Romans, Greeks, and Egyptians all had non-chattel slavery

Don't care that you aren't white.

Care if you don't act white.

Slaves in greco roman society were fixed to owners though and most were not chattel slaves such as helots.

Remember the Slavs

*most were not chattel slave like helots but were still not free as west African concepts of Dependent.

Why don't you get a genetic test? That will at least pinpoint a region in Africa for you.

It's gonna be west African, central African, South east African and may be Madagascar.

That's just statistic, specific ethnic groups are impossible to test unless you have southeast asian that shows Malagasy or north African lending a Fulani or Maures likelihood.

I can't trace my heritage back to fuck all and I don't have a drop of africa in me.

You're a Hebrew King.

Kazakh's have a bad history? Wat?

You think white people know their ancestors? I know 3/4 grandparents, and that's where the dynasty stops. Stop being such a fucking pussy man, it's disgusting. Have you read Malcom X's biography? He would be disgusted with you.

My birth took place under the full moon, on the sands of Damascus. My father, an old tobacco dealer, was far away. And my mother... The less we talk about her the better. She was half french, and the other half is lost in the dust of time.
For short, I'm a thoroughbred mongrel. I'm related to all the earth... And nothing human is foreign to me.

>i dont know my history
and yet the education system gives your race the longest amount of class time to study

WE
t. civic nationalist