We

What did that one Greek philosopher say about people making gods in their image

Other urls found in this thread:

unz.com/article/what-race-were-the-greeks-and-romans/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>cum skins seriously think his hair was blond even though he clearly has a kinky fro
Cumskins are pathetic.

>Terrible troll thinks black people ever say "kinky fro"

I'm glad to see you've returned.

I fucking hate these shoddily painted reconstructions being presented as if that's what they would have looked like in the past.
Just because you can identify traces of pigment on the statue doesn't mean you know how it was painted. There's more to it than just uniformly applying the paint. Specialized artisans were hired to paint and maintain the statues, you think they could get away with painting such masterpieces so lazily and cheaply?

I think edith hamilton said that.

How high do you think the quality of painting was compared to the sculpture or literature or philosophy?

I find it hard to imagine a coating being superior to the unpainted statue.

Xenophanes
>But mortals suppose that gods are born,
>wear their own clothes and have a voice and body. (frag. 14)
>Ethiopians say that their gods are snub-nosed and black;
>Thracians that theirs are blue-eyed and red-haired. (frag. 16)
>But if horses or oxen or lions had hands
>or could draw with their hands and accomplish such works as men,
>horses would draw the figures of the gods as similar to horses, and the oxen as similar to oxen,
>and they would make the bodies
>of the sort which each of them had. (frag. 15)

>you can 't have a blond afro

thats a hair style retard, look at the top of his head. The rest of it is styled or locks. If you can't have hair like that blonde explain all the blond chicks with that hairstyle.

Also if its not blond why is it fucking painted blond?

>Just because you can identify traces of pigment on the statue doesn't mean you know how it was painted.

Actually it does. They use this magical thing called science, and technology. Its 2017, we know how these painted statues looked.

WOW!

1 (one) Greek statue had blonde hair, that means they were all Nordics!!!

No we don't. The science and technology only tells us which pigments were presents on the statues.

No, we know that it was painted a color SIMILAR to that color in SPECIFIC SPOTS.

Shading could have been used to accentuate the muscles and hair, for example. He's not sperging about MUH PAINTES STATUES, he's sperging about it being painted flat and shiny colors.

>check the archive
>the real melanin warrior hasn't posted since november
what happened to him?

and from that exactly how the statue looked is reconstructed. Just like how we only need trace amounts of dna to reconstruct the whole creature

that the statues looked nothing like modern greeks is unavoidable though. I always thought the unpainted greek statues didn't look greek at all. But you can't bring this up anywhere because it gets shouted down against all logic and evidence because everyone assumes you're claiming greeks were german or something.

There's just no way that your typical north indian looking greek had his resemblance in ancient greece, at least not to the people they were depicting in statues. The typical retort at this point is that the statues weren't realistic. So why do they look photorealistic? They would have to take a live model who's not the person being depicted, and make him resemble the person being depicted. To make him resemble a barbarian? It makes no sense.

Are you dumb mate? dna is the entire 'blueprint' of a creature. Knowing which color pigment was on a spot of the statue doesn't tell you anything about how the color was applied or what other colors were layered on top of it.

>There's just no way that your typical north indian looking greek had his resemblance in ancient greece
Wtf, have you ever been to Greece?

>The typical retort at this point is that the statues weren't realistic. So why do they look photorealistic
No the typical, and correct, retort is that they were idealized, not that they were unrealistic. You can have a model as the base of your sculpture and still make it look more beautiful and with more refined features than the model.

But it does. The shape of the damn statue is there dude. Its similar to how we reconstruct people's faces from their skulls. If you know about shadowing n shiet then you know how to show the way the statue was painted. Any artists can tell you this. And also tell you that you know enough about the other layers from the first one, especially if your painting skin.

Its what the statues looked like, greeks for whatever reason depicted themselves as fair skinned and blond or ruddy. Probably because some/many of them were. Thats not poltiically correct or palatable to many but it is what it is. The artists who did these reconstructions know what they're doing

cherry picking

>cherry picking
Nigga the colored comparison is the averaged out features of the Greek nation soccer team. It's quire literally the opposite of cherry picking.

the statues are cherry picked. The photo, that looks like an arab or turkish guy. The statue that looks nearly identical to him has better bone structure around his eyes and sunken eyes (these are nordic features)

Ffs that's not what's talked about. Look at this post to see what it's about >greeks for whatever reason depicted themselves as fair skinned and blond or ruddy
Not really. Blond hair and very fair skin are uncommon in ancient Greek colored depictions.
They appear more often in depictions of the gods like the op picture (a statue of Apollo) as those features were considered beautiful, not because they were common with the average Greek.

unz.com/article/what-race-were-the-greeks-and-romans/

Are you Greek? Do modern Greeks still have that straight aquiline nose?

How does one get a qt aquiline-nosed gf?

>Not really. Blond hair and very fair skin are uncommon in ancient Greek colored depictions.

so why are literally all of them fair? I haven't seen one that isn't and I've been to the blogs and pages that show all the reconstructions

>those features were considered beautiful,

not at all, they were the features of the barbarians, and even the features of barbarians were considered inferior.

>Nigga the colored comparison is the averaged out features of the Greek nation soccer team.

Averaged out faces all look nearly exactly the same as one and other regardless of country, they just have different coloration by ethnicity.
They all tend to look more handsome and feminine then most real men. Hence the resemblance to the greek statues. I'll give you that some of statues look like greeks though.

So some spots were shaded and some weren't. Thats all to do with shadows. OP seems to be saying, that the color of the reconstructed statues are similar to the real one in specific spots, because the real one varied in different spots according to shading. Well, I don't see how that contradicts anything I've said.

I guess ancient Greeks were Arabs according to you then. Pic related, a fresco from the ancient Greek colony of Paestum in Italy.

They are clearly blonde, the colors are just faded.

no not everyone with dark hair and a tan is an arab...that literally describes like 90% of white guys.

Plus mediterranean men were always painted with a brown or reddish hue, so we can never be sure what their actual skin color was from paintings.

well they look like swedes working up a tan, so maybe you're onto something. Clearly that picture isn't meant to be showing you the chocolate colored guy who makes your kebabs...aka a modern greek person. Those guys in the fresco have the greek noses, but its plain as day that their faces are "softer" and more feminine then the monobrowed types that make up modern greeks

Etruscans were dark red with blonde hair.

You need to get your eyes checked desu.

That's my point. The person I replied seems to think tan skin and black hair denotes someone as an Arab.

He ran out of proxies probably, got bored and moved to another site. He was one of the writers for Atlanta Black star if I recall correctly him saying.

blond with the typical pigmentation that blond people have obviously (actually ideal for tanning contrary to popular misconceptions). The red color is symbolic but might be hinting at a ruddy complexion

>You need to get your eyes checked desu.

Why? Particularly that guy holding a cup just has the complexion of a tanned northern european.

>That's my point. The person I replied seems to think tan skin and black hair denotes someone as an Arab.

That was me, I don't think it denotes an arab. Soccer team averaged out guy has sallow skin, the guys in the fresco don't.

>You need to get your eyes checked desu.

They're obviously meant to be gay so he's bang on about their soft / femine faces

Nice cherrypicking most other Etruscan paintings depict men with black and brown hair

show me a population of 100% blond (grown) men.

>Why?
Because you're color blind.

>Soccer team averaged out guy has sallow skin, the guys in the fresco don't.
One irrelevant feature doesn't mach (barely at that) and you completely disregard that all other features mach completely? Talk about cherry picking.

Blond kids don't grow up to have dark black hair like that of the depictions in etruscan, roman and greek frescoes.

>Because you're color blind.

Again, arab guy has sallow skin, greek guy doesn't. And its in the deeper layers of his skin....a tan is in the superficial layers. Hence why you can have a white guy with chocolate complexion, but because its only on top, he still looks different to an african or pajeet. The lighter skin shines through, like you see with those fresco lads. So clearly I'm not color blind, I have an eye for the subtle hues in skin complexions

>One irrelevant feature doesn't mach (barely at that) and you completely disregard that all other features mach completely? Talk about cherry picking.

They don't match completely...who in their right mind would think that exotic arabesque looking guy looks like an ancient european statue.

Plus, a soccer team is cherry picking by size. And only a pleb would go hurr durr what does x nationality look like urr durr hurr hurr lets look at da soccer team bcuz me no read books or use google images

Duh. When have you ever seen an entire population of blond people period. And obviously southern europeans were always more dark haired....pigmentation actually has very little to do with phenotype anyway.

On that note, the stereotypical nordic phenotype is just the mediterranean phenotype depigmented. Hence why you might be able to take a greek person, see a resemblance to those statues. The statues have more delicate and refined features though, which is nordid (apart from the jaw which is usually more robust on nords, and the nose is wider)

left (fresco) more golden / dark pink/peach, right (muhammedopoulous) more yellowish.

>Again, arab guy has sallow skin, greek guy doesn't.
>arab guy
You could at least try to hide your /pol/tarded bias. And no, the Greek soccer player face isn't sallow, that's just further proof that you're probably color blind. Not to mention that the fresco doesn't have enough complexity in its coloring to judge something like that.

>The lighter skin shines through, like you see with those fresco lads
>I have an eye for the subtle hues in skin complexions
>They don't match completely...who in their right mind would think that exotic arabesque looking guy looks like an ancient european statue.
Now I'm certain you're color blind and most likely myopic desu.
This entire post was just you making shit up to compensate for your poor eyes or your biases. Please go see an optometrist.

I'm just messing with you mainly, but colors are tricky because they mix and combine. The hues in a persons complexion are very subtle.

When I studied art my teachers would tell me there are all these different colors in an image I can't see...I thought their eyes were weird as well. You kind of have to tease apart the different colors with your mind not so much your eye. Its hard to see pinks mixed in with all other colors but its there.

I think the greek guy is sallow, and I do think th fresco lads have the pigments I said, but its not actual skin so it probably doesnt reflect the reality of what they looked like (the frescos). The fresco guys look very greek im just messing with you on that

I do think ancient greeks look like modern greeks except maybe not the really middle eastern/indian looking ones. I just think there were blond greeks too and that ancient greeks probably resembled their statues more.

I think the blond greeks looked exactly how the apollo statue looks, its spot on. There is a film, whos name I forget, from the 70s or so, its set in naple in the 1400;s and its short stories. There is a boy in that movie who's blond and italian, looks exactly like the apollo statue, its in the face and the lips. Thats how I think blond greeks looked/look, its different to how northern europeans look. It looks very greek.

Are you really so stupid as to think that the Turks didn't rape the living shit out of the Greeks who wouldn't convert to Islam? LOL