Arab's created civilization while living in THIS

>Arab's created civilization while living in THIS

Why is this accomplishment so underrated?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_inventions_in_the_medieval_Islamic_world
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_contributions_to_Medieval_Europe
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_science_and_engineering_in_the_Islamic_world
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_Golden_Age
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Wisdom
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibn_al-Haytham
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhammad_ibn_Musa_al-Khwarizmi
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_of_Gondishapur
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Persian_scientists_and_scholars
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Arab_scientists_and_scholars
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_Muslim_scientists_and_scholars
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Because it looked more like this.

>not knowing the arabian peninsula was still fertile in the late first millennium
>not knowing about the collapse brought on by poorly handled overexploitation of the soil
>fucking desertification, man

>Arab's created civilization

oxymoron

>Arabs created civilization
Only who was living near rivers or sea. Land nomads were stupid, weak and unimportant population.

In addition, Arabs created nothing of note. They took over two high civilizations and drove them into the ground.

>Arabs created nothing of note

>steals persian, byzantine and ancient egyptian works
>is now arabic culture :DDDDDDD

>steal
>literally reference them in your works and gain further knowledge based on their achievments

Central arabs always were nomads.
Coastal arabs did this by being good traders and having a neat position at the sea so they could profiteer from being the crossroad of goods from india and africa to rome and the levant and vice versa.

Preislamic arabs had a distinct trader culture and made already a lot of poetry.

>Arabs created nothing of note

In antiquity Arabia was so fertile that it was called Arabia Felix or the most fortunate, blessed, or lucky.

>gain further knowledge

When?!

Fascinating how roman structures in the middle east still prevail but shit like this magically dissapears.

What changed this??
Is there a way to make arabia felix again?

Jews

>What changed this??

Bedouin. They can't farm for shit. You'll notice they ruined the Maghreb too. Also they made it impossible to maintain the Marib Dam due to their raiding.

>dissapears

Arabs created mathematics, racists.

Mongols, not memeing

>What changed this?

"Before desertification made the caravan trails leading across the Rub' al Khali so difficult, the caravans of the frankincense trade crossed now virtually impassable stretches of wasteland, until about AD 300. It has been suggested that Ubar or Iram, a lost city, depended on such trade. The traces of camel tracks, unidentifiable on the ground, appear in satellite images."

>In addition, Arabs created nothing of note.
Oh boy this meme again

In astronomy (eg. observatories, zij), mathematics (eg. algebra, decimals, etc), medicine, alchemy/chemistry, optics (Alhazen), mechanics, geography and cartography (eg. al-Idrisi's map), botany and zoology, geology, agronomy, navigation (eg. astrolabes), mining, metallurgy (eg. cast iron, damascus steel), and various other subjects and technologies Muslims were far more advanced. And yes, that includes Arabs and Moors, not just Persians.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_inventions_in_the_medieval_Islamic_world
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_contributions_to_Medieval_Europe
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_science_and_engineering_in_the_Islamic_world
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_Golden_Age
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Wisdom

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibn_al-Haytham
>this guy did over 20 significant things in mathematics/astronomy including finishing Apollonius' Conics
How.

>90% of contributions come from Persians
>HUR DERF MUH ARAB CRADLE OF CIV

>Marib Dam
"The historical dam was severely damaged by a Saudi airstrike in the night of May 31, 2015."

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

What made desertification happen was my quetion, nor its consequences, but thank for the info nonetheles.

Looks nothing like the picture, if you told me that's an indoors swimming pool built last year I would believe you.

all the really good illuminations were made by turks and persians

Why did the mongols respect the ruins and buildings of people who defeated their ancestors and went apeshit with people who didnt do them harm?

If I remember right, Genghis didn't like Muslims and Jews. It's a meme that he was tolerant of their faith, he even banned them from eating their own foods, and enslaved a whole bunch of them. So he probably wrecked shit that was important to them, or just generally the Mongols did.

The people of the fertile crescent - Assyrians , Babylonians, Sumerians (all Mesopotamians in general) were Semites, but not Arabs.

Arab is a subgroup within the semites and they are native to the gulf region originating in the highlands of Yemen.

It was the Mesopotamians were the ones who created that civilizations, not the Arabs who did jack shit from a civilizational perspective. The region of modern day Mesopotamia is inhabited by Arabs because these desert dwellers cucked the Mesopotamians with the advent of Islam so hard that they started believing they are Arabs and it continues to this day.

Same story for the semitic people of the Levant.

He didn't like people who didn't submit.

>arabs created mathematics

No. They can be accredited with a system where number placement indicated a particular value. That's about it. They didn't create the mathmatic equations known today. They aren't responsible for algebra or trigg. Had no hand in problem solving formulas, and to suggest they did is ridiculous.

>mathematics (eg. algebra, decimals, etc),

You mean memeing Hindu numerals as """"arabic"""" numerals and in case of al-jabr expanding on the existing works of Indian and Greek mathematical works. I mean yeah the latter can be considered significant but it's definitely not inventing anything. It's expounding on an existing base of works.

Not to mention a lot of "Muslim" achievement were by Persians who converted to Islam to escape discrimination or get favorable court treatment. The actual Arab and moor part of those accomplishments were less in comparison.

>They can be accredited with a system where number placement indicated a particular value.
They can't even be attributed that, it was invented by Pajeets, they just adopted it and spread it.

>in case of al-jabr expanding on the existing works of Indian and Greek mathematical works. I mean yeah the latter can be considered significant but it's definitely not inventing anything. It's expounding on an existing base of works.
This.
I wish people were capable of talking about actual achievements and how things were overall developed, instead of memeing and exaggerating things so they can say one guy or one civilization "invented" some great thing or another.

well, what's the point in razing some uninhabited ruin?

>arabs
Ummmmmmmmmmmmmm?

t. Mohamed

>What made desertification happen was my quetion

In the case of the empty quarter it was almost certainly natural climate change. Though they did build damns and managed some forms of agriculture, I don't think humans necessarily had much influence on it ~300 AD. A prolonged drought drying already arid land and killing agriculture would only snowball the process, just like top soil during the Dust Bowl reached New York and the North Atlantic, sand storms would have resulted in desert creep. There are also quite a few volcanoes in both Arabia and the Red Sea which could have contributed.

>During mapping for the Wadi al Jubal Archaeological Project in Yemen, USGS Geologists Overstreet and Grolier mapped anthrosols of pre-Islamic age east of the Ma'rib dam site. These soils were the result of agriculture supported by irrigation enabled by water impounded by the dam, areas which were abandoned after dam failure. During analysis of Landsat Thematic Mapper satellite images of Yemen and Oman for the Mahra Archaeological Project, we noted that these anthrosols had a distinctive image expression. Undocumented possible anthrosol sites include an area east of Shisr in Oman, the archaeological site discovered by us to be responsible for some features of the Lost City of Ubar legends. Included in legendary accounts of the Ubar region are reports of fertile oases, and areas that have known the plow. Based on demonstrated reliability of aspects of carefully interpreted legendary accounts, we postulate that we may have located the area of desert agriculture that may have existed to support the frankincense caravansary of Ubar.

% of contributions come from Persians
Source?

Is this bait?
Just to mention 1 thing:
Have you ever heard of Algebra(al-jabr)?

I'm a frequent visitor to /pol/ and think Western Civ. is the best, but even I think this is ridiculous. Algorithm is derived from an Arab mathematician's name who is credited as being one of the founders of the concepts of algorithms.

This is not even mentioning the Arab Golden Age, when basically all Arab society was more scientifically oriented and progressive than virtually all of Europe, so you are willing to tell me that such Muslim mathematicians never influenced their European counterparts, and did not even leave behind texts that would inspire the future? That would be an incredulous claim.

This is the guy
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhammad_ibn_Musa_al-Khwarizmi

they've been quite lucky to sit on trillions of barrels of oil.

>Muḥammad ibn Mūsā al-Khwārizmī (Persian: محمد بن موسی خوارزمی, Arabic: محمد بن موسى الخوارزمی; c.780 – c.850) (Arabic pronunciation: [ælxɑːræzmiː]), formerly Latinized as Algoritmi, was a Persian mathematician, astronomer, and geographer during the Abbasid Caliphate, a scholar in the House of Wisdom in Baghdad.
>was a Persian mathematician, astronomer, and geographer
>a Persian
Next time you wanna pull shit out of your ass actually read the article you linked.

samefag

>Abū ʿAlī al-Ḥasan ibn al-Ḥasan ibn al-Haytham (Arabic: أبو علي، الحسن بن الحسن بن الهيثم; Persian: بوعلی محمد بن حسن بن هیثم c.965 – c.1040 CE), also known by the Latinization Alhazen or Alhacen,[10] was an Arab[11] Muslim[12][13][14] scientist, mathematician, astronomer, and philosopher.[15] Ibn al-Haytham made significant contributions to the principles of optics, astronomy, mathematics and visual perception.[16] He was the first to explain that vision occurs when light bounces on an object and then is directed to one's eyes.[17] He spent most of his life close to the court of the Fatimid Caliphate in Cairo and earned his living authoring various treatises and tutoring members of the nobilities.[18]

>during the Abbasid Caliphate

And how does that change the ethnicty of him?

Al-Biruni was born during the Seljuk/Khwarezm era but that doesn't make him a Turk or his discoveries anymore Turkic.

We are talking about Arab civilization. Does Japan get the credit If a japanese-american is credited with something?

>>Abū ʿAlī al-Ḥasan ibn al-Ḥasan ibn al-Haytham
That guy is actually pretty impressive.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibn_al-Haytham

Read about him.

>ok
And last time I checked algorithm didn't derive from Alhazens name, nice try saving face though.

No we are not, stop trying to move the goalposts. You said
>Algorithm is derived from an Arab mathematician's name who is credited as being one of the founders of the concepts of algorithms
>an Arab mathematician's name
And you were proven wrong. Now drop it.

Actually that post wasn't from me, I just linked the name of the guy since he didn't.

I wasn't posting about 'Algorithm' in particular actually.

Based Genghis

Algebra originated in Iran, it was called Gebr (gehbreh), the Arabs don't have the ghe sound so they changed it to gebra. Hence, al-gebra

Which was still wrong in retrospect with his "arguement".
You kind of gave that impression when you called us "samefags", but I take it back then.

except all his successors converted to Islam because they realized they have no culture

Dumb argument
Greek took from Egyptians.
Romans took from Greeks.

Not only that but the House of Wisdom was basically the continuation of the Sassanid Academy of Gondishapur.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_of_Gondishapur
>n 832 AD, Caliph al-Ma'mūn founded the famous House of Wisdom. There the methods of Gondeshapur were emulated; indeed, the House of Wisdom was staffed with graduates of the older Academy of Gondeshapur.

I might be wrong about this but from what I understand anyone can be "Arab" if their share the culture. It's not like a race.

>Caliph al-Ma'mūn founded the famous House of Wisdom
>founded

Not really, plus the Umaayads were very prone of enforcing that.

Anyone not ethnically Arab was considered a Ajam and was used even during the Golden Age to a great extent.
The funny thing is that Persians in Bahrain still used that term today to differ from the rest of the Arabic Bahrainis.

Even one of the best Arab historians, Ibn Khladun, admitted the Islamic Golden Age mostly came from the Persians.

>It is a remarkable fact that, with few exceptions, most Muslim scholars both in the religious and in the intellectual sciences have been non-Arabs [ajams/Persians]. Even if a scholar is of Arab origin, he is Persian in language and upbringing and has Persian teachers […]

>arabs
northern semites
only thing arabs did was introduce barbarism to the region

Still, They conquered the Persians. People use this argument against Africans, so why the same doesn't apply to Persians?

>Persians had traditions
>There's a lot of Persians.
>Arabs still have scholars like your Arab historian and pic rel for example.

Well, ok.

Also, Persians helped give grammatical rules to Arabic language as Ibn Khaldun:

>[…] the founders of grammar were Sibawayh [Persian from Shiraz] and, after him, al-Farsi and az-Zajjaj. All of them were of ajam (Persian) descent. They were brought up in the Arabic language and acquired the knowledge of it through their upbringing and through contact with Arabs. They invented the rules of (grammar) and made (grammar) into a discipline (in its own right) for later (generations to use).

>Only the ajams (Persians) engaged in the task of preserving knowledge and writing systematic scholarly works.

Also, let me post this again:

>It is a remarkable fact that, with few exceptions, most Muslim scholars both in the religious and in the intellectual sciences have been non-Arabs [ajams/Persians]. Even if a scholar is of Arab origin, he is Persian in language and upbringing and has Persian teachers […]

Listen to me, you Arabs: Your language would literally lack precision and structure if it weren't for the Persians in giving it structure. You guys need to fuck off and know your place.

lel, probably ment to say that he funded it extensively, since it grew under his era but added a extra "o". While Al-Mansur was the one who stood for the construction of it and al-Rashid for the heavier part of the translation of older scriptures into Arabic.

arab accomplishments would have been attributed to persians and mesopotamians if they werent conquered
arab culture and religion were a net loss on the region

I'm not Arab(and I'm not a SJW either), I actually hate Islam but facts are facts.

Ok.

>Abū ʿAbd Allāh Muḥammad ibn Muʿādh al-Jayyānī[1] (989, Cordova, Al-Andalus – 1079, Jaén, Al-Andalus) was a mathematician, Islamic scholar, and Qadi from Al-Andalus (in present-day Spain).[2] Al-Jayyānī wrote important commentaries on Euclid's Elements and he wrote the first known treatise on spherical trigonometry as a discipline independent from astronomy.

>Muḥammad ibn Aḥmad Shams al-Dīn al-Muqaddasī (Arabic: محمد بن أحمد شمس الدين المقدسي), also transliterated as el-Mukaddasi or al-Maqdisī , (c. 945/946 - 991) was a medieval Arab geographer, author of Aḥsan al-taqāsim fī maʿrifat al-aqālīm (The Best Divisions in the Knowledge of the Regions).

>Shams al-Dīn Abū ʿAbd Allāh Muḥammad ibn Muḥammad al-Khalīlī (1320–1380) was a Mamluk-era astronomer who compiled extensive tables for astronomical use. He worked for most of his life as a religious timekeeper (muwaqqit) at the Umayyad Mosque in Damascus.[1] Little else is known about his life.

There's many more names.

And by the way, Alhazen is absolutely fucking incredible. Basically Isaac Newton

Yes, but you're missing the point that there were far more Persian scholars.

You sound like a dense idiot who doesn't understand the Persians weren't really under the dominion of Arabs for long. The majority of the contributions came from the Persians.

>ʿAbd-Allāh ibn Abī Isḥāq al-Ḥaḍramī (Arabic, عبد الله بن أبي اسحاق الحضرمي), (died AD 735 / AH 117)[1][2] is considered the first grammarian of the Arabic language.[3] He compiled a prescriptive grammar by referring to the usage of the Bedouins, whose language was seen as especially pure (see also iʿrāb, aʿrāb). He is also considered the first person to use linguistic analogy in Arabic.[3]

>Two students of Ibn Abi Ishaq's were Harun ibn Musa and Abu 'Amr ibn al-'Ala'.[4][5] His student al-Thaqafi seems to have had more prescriptive views while al-'Ala's were more descriptive. Their differences have been suggested to lie at the core of the late division of Arabic grammar into the schools of Kufa and Basra. Ibn Abi Ishaq was said to be more proficient with the rules of grammar than the analysis of common speech.[6]

>Abi Ishaq's work was considered influential upon later grammarians, as he was quoted as an authority by Sibawayhi in his seminal work on Arabic grammar seven times.[2]

lmao

>Abū Bishr ʿAmr ibn ʿUthmān ibn Qanbar Al-Baṣrī (c. 760–796, Arabic: أبو بشر عمرو بن عثمان بن قنبر البصري), commonly known as Sībawayh (سيبويه; Arabized form of the Middle Persian name Sēbōē), was an influential linguist and grammarian of Arabic. His seminal work, Al-Kitab, was the first written grammar of the language.[4] Despite his significance to the development of the Arabic language and linguistic tradition, Sibawayh was an ethnic Persian[5] and was not a native speaker of Arabic, having learned the language later in life. He has been referred to as the greatest of all Arabic linguists and one of the greatest linguists of all time in any language.[6]

Lol, go fuck yourself, Arab.

Why is Veeky Forums full of butthurt persians?

Whenever anyone mentions any arab accomplishment whatsoever these fuckers show up and sperg out.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Persian_scientists_and_scholars

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Arab_scientists_and_scholars

>far more
An overstatement. There's plenty of Arab scholars and considering population, it's quite balanced.
Yeah, he was actually pretty brilliant, just skimmed through his wikipedia article.
You do realize those are two different people right? Working on grammar? And one(the earlier one) was an Arab? Yours died 796, the guy i posted 735.

>Lol, go fuck yourself, Arab.
I can be an Ashkenazi Jew if it will make you feel better.

Poster who brought up algorithms here. Just because a scientist has an ethnicity different from his host country, does not magically take that achievement away from the country in which it was discovered, using who's money, inspired in who's schools, etc etc. Just like the example someone else used for a Japanese scientist who went abroad to study in American university and gained a Nobel prize based on that work. Also what is forgotten is that what was considered Persian lands was largely conquered by an Arab-based caliphate at that time, so it would be America's achievement even more if it invaded and annexed Japan, and then one of its students traveled to the host empire (Boston) to study.

You missed the point. I'm saying Sībawayh gave more precision to the Arabic language, hence why he's considered the "greatest linguists of all time in any language".

It's not debatable that the Islamic Golden Age belongs mostly to the Persians.

>arab
>accomplishment

pick 1

>Just because a scientist has an ethnicity different from his host country, does not magically take that achievement away from the country in which it was discovered
And I never stated that cause if you quoted my other answer here you'd see my argument was about you calling him ethnically an Arab.

So why you felt the need to make this redundant post is beyond me cause the student would still be considered a japanese-american.

>more precision
Ah, okay, good for the guy. You can't say Arabs didn't have grammarians though.

The post you responded to also contains proof the Islamic Golden Age was actually shared, which you just ignored.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_Muslim_scientists_and_scholars

Who do you think was more populous in the regions where science was being developed and geographically overall. If you look at the number of Arabs you would actually see they are completely overrepresented.

This is pure math and counting.

>persians are the only ones having problems with arabs on Veeky Forums
lel, I hope you don't actually belive this abu-hamza

it was used to be a paradise until they wrecked the place

It literally is, i know because i wasted my fucking time trying to talk sense into them.

the Arabs never fully conquered them in the same sense

hence Iran retaining its own language, genetically Persians don't cluster with Arabs, and the strong anti-arab traditions and sentiments that have existed since then

>You can't say Arabs didn't have grammarians though.
When did I say that?

>The post you responded to also contains proof the Islamic Golden Age was actually shared, which you just ignored.
I never said there weren't Arab scientists, but I made the point majority came from the Persians. Check out what this guy said here as an example: The House of Wisdom was basically the continuation of the Sassanid Academy of Gondishapur. Even Arabic architecture and music were heavily indebted to the Persians.

Get over it.

>muh haplogroups
Autosomally irrelevant.

Still, persian cluster the same as the northern part of the Arabian peninsula.

>strong anti-sunni arab traditions and sentiments that have existed since then
fix'd

since only diasporafags LARPing about "muh Shah" have problems with Arabs in general

>was basically the continuation
Ah so that's why it had to be founded?
A continuation implies Persians had a tradition which Arabs kept and followed, emulated as is seen by the very respectable amount of Arab scientists.

Majority came from Persia, because Persians were a majority of the people. Still it's like the 1/3 of the scientists were Arabs and some of them quite brilliant like Alhazen.

I would call it a Persian golden age if it wasn't actually shared.

I believe you are politically motivated to deny, deny, deny, deny ...

Autosomally, Iranians are far from the Arabs. It's autosomal DNA that matters, not mtDNA or yDNA haplogroups.

based one what data and sample sizes

The graph you posted literally implies the peoples of the region are a continuum.

Just like any two peoples. If you cut the continuum at the right places you can cluster in all kinds of ways.

>A continuation implies Persians had a tradition
Yes, you guys were literally nomads compared to the Sassanian Empire. Khosrau I created schools where the Persians studied math and the other sciences. Arabs, after they invaded, continued from that, but still, the Persians far outnumbered the Arabs and had a culture that valued education. That's not to say there weren't gifted Arab scholars, but it was thanks to the Persian contributions they stopped being uneducated barbarians and picked up the pen. Still, Persians outnumbered them.

Are you a Gulf Arab or Levantine btw?